Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What grinds your gears?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I mix my spuds and cabbage together and use some HP brown sauce. Hmmm... Im hungry now.

Ewwwwzzz @ brown sauce. No it should be served with a fresh parsley sauce, all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

I'd kill for a feed of Bacon & Cabbage now. Bacon & Turnip was a regular dinner when I was living at home. A feed of boxty would be nice too! Feck this I'm goin home :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Chef brown sauce ftw btw. None of that HP crap.

And wtf is 'boxty'?

boxty is a thing they serve in foreign irish bars that no one actually eats. It's grated potato mixed with flour and water, then you make kind of pancake things out of them and can fill them with various savouries. Quite good actually.

• Advertisement

Hmmm never ever heard of that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    boxty is a thing they serve in foreign irish bars that no one actually eats.

:eek:
    I'd have this 3 or 4 times a week as a young fella. It's quite common in Connacht anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

god the food is awful over here, how many of them have tried to feed you Vegamite at some stage.

I'm off down to the farm tonight so whateve hope I have of gettin somethin nice to eat up here theres feckin nawthin down there.

Also Xavi, on the topic of Hoonin, dont knock it til ya give it a go :D

so do any of us actually do any work... ?? ?

What's this 'work' you speak of? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 SquirrelOnCrack

I'd kill for a feed of Bacon & Cabbage now. Bacon & Turnip was a regular dinner when I was living at home. A feed of boxty would be nice too! Feck this I'm goin home :D

Look what Ive started! Ive been craving Bacon and Cabbage for 6 months now. I much prefer the food at home, expensive though. One thing that I do prefer in Oz is the lamb. You pay through the nose for a large bone with a tiny peice of meat, here you can have a feast for nothing.

I havent had boxty in years.. I remember it being nice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Brown sauce and a ham sambo .... on Brennan's batch bread ...

lads what have you done to me .... :eek:

Oh, as for work.... Meh...

hussey wrote: »
    Brown sauce and a ham sambo .... on Brennan's batch bread ...

lads what have you done to me .... :eek:

+1 to that, but it's gotta have a layer of cheese on it as well.

Oh yeah - Turkey - and the lack of it here. You can't buy turkey steaks ANYWHERE ffs. It's my favourite meat and I haven't had a decent bit of it in 2 years :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    work... ?? ?

There's a lot of strange words popping up in this thread that I've never heard of!

Never heard of boxty either!

Actually surprised no one has mentioned aussie chocolate ... man that is so crap.

NZ chocolate is actually decent (I heart 'moro') but Oz .. vile vile stuff

Yeah completely forgot about that. They put some additive in it to stop it from melting so quick and apparently there's a greater amount of cocoa in comparison to milk as well.

Actually surprised no one has mentioned aussie chocolate ... man that is so crap.

NZ chocolate is actually decent (I heart 'moro') but Oz .. vile vile stuff

Snap, just bought a bar of Cadbury Dairy Muck for charity from one of the people in work. Someone told me it tastes sh!t because they put something in it to stop it from melting so easily.

Irish chocolate is pretty lousy too though in fairness

• Advertisement

I used to live beside the dairy milk factory in coolock ... the smell in the summer was great .. completely covered the burning-car smell.

Yeah I think there is a much higher vegetable-oil content, which acts as a preservative. Though Haigh is damn tasty but pricey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

NZ chocolate is yummy. Cadbury's has one called cocunut rough which is amazing. I'm eating some right now. Had a horrible two days at work and feel like I didn't see a friendly face all day. The bus driver was really rude to me on the way home and I started to cry and had to walk away really quickly... it was super embarassing! :o

Thank god I have chocolate.

watna wrote: »
    The bus driver was really rude to me on the way home

Surely that would have reminded you of Home? :pac:

Yeah NZ choc is fine as far as I remember, you can get some of it over here in the cadbury heroes boxes ... Moro all the way (not an Irish moro, but a cadbury rival of Mars bar) Very nice!

Surely that would have reminded you of Home? :pac:

True, it should have cheered me up!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

god the food is awful over here, how many of them have tried to feed you Vegamite at some stage.

that stuff is gross. i work in preschools, and im always surprised at how much all the kids LOVE it. absolutely hate having to make sandwiches out of it, it smells vile, and always gets stuck all over my hands and yuck.

watna wrote: »
    The lack of central heating upsets me so much that I think if I mention it to people one more time they'll kill me.

more than welcome to bitch in this direction ;)
    Maybe we should have a positives thread too? so we don't look like miserable whingers!

sounds good to me.

my biggest gripes at the moment are the thought of the heat of the summer, and visas. im sure there's 101 things i hate about nz other than those... but those really are the big issues right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Actually, the only two things I have to complain about down here are the fact that the Australians could learn about a million things from the Irish in terms of how to process the pig, and also the total and utter lack of anything that isn't tabloid media.

So there you go. A bacon sammich and the BBC 9 o'clock news and I'd be happy.

also the total and utter lack of anything that isn't tabloid media.

SBS or ABC seem to be pretty tabloid free I find.
    I don't think I could ever call 7/9/10 program 'news' it is truly tripe.
    which was proved the other day when Sonny Bill Williams came before Russia/Georgia situation :rolleyes:

Actually, the only two things I have to complain about down here are the fact that the Australians could learn about a million things from the Irish in terms of how to process the pig, and also the total and utter lack of anything that isn't tabloid media.

So there you go. A bacon sammich and the BBC 9 o'clock news and I'd be happy.

My in-laws have digital tv and when we were there last week I watched about an hour of bbc world. You've no idea how good it was to watch non sensationalist news. I'd almost pay for digital just for that. The NZ news is apalling. Very American.

I'd actually like a newspaper other than the feckin West Australian. It's pure ad filled propoganda and they have the WA market completely monopolised. Plus the the standard of journalism in it is utter ****.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

see thats why I got broadband at home.

SBS is just Soccer Bloody Soccer

the ABC does have LandLine which I like, and the New inventors and Einstein factor, and spicks and specs and and and its just feckin brilliant

the local chanel here also shows DW News, which is at least an attempt at news reportage,

but dont get me started about the newspapers in queensland, tabloid schlock of the highest order, probably the only good paper in OZ is the Age outa Melbourne, and thats only cos a mate of mine edits it :)

Advertisement