Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Road rage during driving lessons

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

cormie wrote: »
    There are safe areas to learn.
    Other than very beginner stages (best in the likes of a quiet car park) - this puzzles me a bit. You cannot give a learner driver the experience he/she needs in strictly 'safe areas' alone. Once the lessons are gone beyond learning about the main controls of the car and there is a good understanding of road signs etc, the instructor takes the learner driver out on the public roads. What is the use if after 10 or 15 lessons and the LD has no experience of everyday traffic?
    She shouldn't have done what she did. I think we all agree on that :)

We do. But there is a pretty important point you seem to be omitting. The OP said that there were people beeping at her because the lights had changed while she was still ranting away in their window.

So in effect, the OP's error was quite minor compared to hers. Although LD's car was partitally on a yellow box it was not causing an obstruction. That is understandable of a LD. She was causing an obstruction, and was a fully licensed driver.

It is funny how people forget they were once learners themselves. The rule of thumb on the road is; if you observe a car from a driving school you must pull back, and be patient. The exception being that you see your way clear ahead allowing you to safely over-take, road markings / signs allowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

My instructor took me out on the main roads after about 15 minutes in a car park. I was no way ready, this is when I nearly crashed and he had to reach over and steer me away :P I agree that you can only learn so much in a car park and when you may be fine doing hill starts off the public road, you'll probably stall a few times with the added pressure of traffic behind you on the public road but you will better know the controls. It's just a matter of getting your head around it. Observation, anticipation etc are a continual learning process. I know I was still learning these after I got my full license and probably still am.

Everyone should give time and space to a learner. I don't understand how people can beep at a learner, this is doing nothing positive. If I'm learning to drive and I stall and somebody starts beeping, it's going to mount pressure and I'll probably take much longer to get going then if I'd been given time to think rather than get worked up at people beeping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I always try and give learner's a break, but sometimes then I get flak for it from people behing (like when you let them turn out in a long line of traffic). Personally I think the sooner a learner is introduced to the road the better. Once they can adequetely stop, start with ease it's time for housing estates, then public roads - simply to get the observation going from an early stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I experience road rage on my very first lesson.
    My instructor gave the person giving me abuse the same abuse back ten fold.

Best lessons ever.

That said I don't think I should give my advice here on how to deal with road rage as I'd deal with it a fair bit different than what's "right" :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

cormie wrote: »
    ....Perhaps she was just concerned about the student and wanted the best for them :D
    Ha ha hahahaha, Glad you got your sense of humour back.
    Yeah maybe she thought the instructor was going to admonish his student for entering the yellow box and she said she would lay the blame on him instead:D:D

Perhaps she just had Pygmachophobia:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭DancingDaisy

On the topic of road rage, while in my instructors car coming of the dual carraige way and obeying the speed limit drop down to fifty, not in a dangerous way or too quickly, I have ahd drivers beep and drive right up my rear because I am obeying the speed limit. So far in my experience I have found that when I am in my instructors car I get a very hard time from other road users, and they can be very impatient and all the rest. Infact I had guys in a van throw stuff out their window at the car.

All I can say is that you have to take it with a pinch of salt and in my case with the speed issue, my instructor reminds me that those behind me should be grateful because I'm decreasing the liklihood of them acquiring points on their license for speeding :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Perhaps your speedo is overestimating the actual speed - as most do. The accuracy of your speedo is also dependent on tyre wear. New tyres will give a different reading to those at the minimum legal limit.

Many drivers now have Sat Nav which gives the actual speed. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭jw297

Hi,
    my internet was down all week, so just want to clarify what happened with the yellow box. The yellow box was in front of traffic lights and was quite long, so unfortunately I was paying more attention to the lights that I was approaching than the road markings. This meant I was already preparing to stop for the lights when I saw the yellow box, and so was able to come to a halt safely without slamming on the brakes, and with only the front wheels on the box. I think this was why my instructor didnt brake for me, as by the time he realised I wasnt stopping in front of the box I had stopped anyway (if that makes sense!). I really wouldnt fault the instructor in this case.

It was also a really long box, which meant I was absolutely not blocking anyone from turning or anything like that. I could understand someone being annoyed if I had blocked them, or slammed on the brakes in front of them, but that didnt happen in this case.
    I know it doesnt make it right, but the number of people I see driving quite deliberately into yellow boxes is amazing. And doing all sorts of other mad things. And yes, I know, pot and kettle and all that, I'm not a perfect driver either... :)
    I just heard that a friend had someone get out of their car and come up to her car with an axe because she was waiting at a junction to turn right. There must be some seriously stressed people out there!

Thanks, all, for the comments, and might look in to that driving course that was mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

To be honest, I would say that the OP's driving had very little to do with this. I'd guess that the lady in question was
    A: having a bad day
    and
    B: a nutcase
    and the driving school car in front of her made for a nice non threatening target to vent at.

OP, take it as a life lesson. Expect other road users to act like nutters and the only surprises will be pleasant ones.

Expect other road users to act like nutters and the only surprises will be pleasant ones.
    I once had a taxi driver apologise to me after pulling in front of me while I was cycling. Not all that close but he actually rolled down the window and said Sorry.
    I nearly fell off my bike in the shock. I didnt know what to do.

Theres is just no preparing you for some pleasant surprises:D

Street serenity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Lobster

Anyone ever experienced this? You get the green light but at the other side of the yellow box, traffic is at a standstill, so you cannot enter the box because the exit isn't clear. Next thing you hear is the cars behind you blowing! It happened to me in Letterkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Lobster wrote: »
    Anyone ever experienced this? You get the green light but at the other side of the yellow box, traffic is at a standstill, so you cannot enter the box because the exit isn't clear. Next thing you hear is the cars behind you blowing! It happened to me in Letterkenny.
    That happens to me in Letterkenny also at the lights at the Courthouse at the top of the Port Road. The traffic backs up the Main Street, the lights go green and the muppets behind keep blowing their horns. Don't they know what a yellow box is? I've mentioned it a few times here! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Lobster

Don't they know what a yellow box is?
    They make junctions look nice and colourful:confused:

Don't they know what a yellow box is? I've mentioned it a few times here! :)
    Bring back Michaelangelo:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭DancingDaisy

After driving from Kildare to Rathcoole today for practice on the Dual Carraige way, (my first real distance driving :)) I came across one really lovely driver who beeped me out of it for stopping at a stop sign when I was clear, I felt the need to stop, obey the rules of the road, and ensure that I was clear to turn. My accompanying driver turned around and pointed at the L plate on the car and he gave her the fingers and beeped again.

Here was me thinking I'm meant to stop at a stop sign, but obviously not!!!! Oh and a lovely overtook me on a roundabout that we were the only two on seeing as I obviously wasn't going fast enough. Aren't they just precious :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Enda89

After driving from Kildare to Rathcoole today for practice on the Dual Carraige way, (my first real distance driving :)) I came across one really lovely driver who beeped me out of it for stopping at a stop sign when I was clear, I felt the need to stop, obey the rules of the road, and ensure that I was clear to turn. My accompanying driver turned around and pointed at the L plate on the car and he gave her the fingers and beeped again.

Here was me thinking I'm meant to stop at a stop sign, but obviously not!!!! Oh and a lovely overtook me on a roundabout that we were the only two on seeing as I obviously wasn't going fast enough. Aren't they just precious :D

Yeah there's pricks everywhere that expect you to treat a Stop sign as a Yield sign.

I had a fella in a transit van (typical) just holding his horn down for like 10 seconds when I stalled on a hill up to a Stop sign on one of my first lessons back before xmas.

These people should get a couple of points on their license, no questions asked. Beeping at a learner is totally inexcusable. They should remember that they too were a learner at some stage and how would they like it if someone beeped at them? Like, its achieveing nothing, except maybe startling the driver into stalling again or making another mistake so why the **** do it?! Defies all logic!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Enda89 wrote: »
    I had a fella in a transit van (typical)

I drive a transit and I'd never beep at a learner ;)

It's funny actually, the way people treat you depending on what you drive. When I drive the transit, nobody tries anything but when I was driving my friends Ford Fiesta (taking off quicker than in the Transit) you always had people trying to zoom past, just because it's a small car they probably thought "learner".

Advertisement