Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smitten (A Kilkenny Play) by Devious Theatre

Options
  • 11-08-2008 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

For anyone interested in local theatre, the Devious Theatre Company are following up their recent production of Trainspotting with a brand new play and its a bit of a rarity seeing as its set entirely in Kilkenny City.

Written by John Morton and Directed by Colm Sheenan, the debuting play is a Kilkenny set comic rainfest entitled Smitten.

smitten_davebronagh.jpg

The play opens on August 20th and runs until the 23rd in The Barn, a studio space in Church Lane (Behind St. Canice's Cathedral, at the rear of the Good Sheperd Centre building).

smittenmap.jpg

1. struck, as with a hard blow.
    2. grievously or disastrously stricken or afflicted.
    3. very much in love.

“Bronagh is pregnant with Dave’s child, he’s got a bad alcohol problem and she’s worried. Her friend Cat is also worried. She finally broke up with Tony and she’s moved onto a new fella, Niall, who oozes charm…or is it charm? Her brother Mark is wise like an owl and he reckons that she and Tony need a clean break. Tony has got with Ailbe to make Cat jealous, she sounds like a robot but still, it’ll do. Ailbe used to go out with Kevin but now he’s going to New Zealand. Claire just came back from South America with Kevin’s heart weighing down her hand luggage. Worrying is always weighing Stevey down, and now that he thinks he might have testicular cancer his worrying just got worse. It was the worrying that caused Sinead to dump him spectacularly. She’s just back in town and she does not want casual sex, no thanks. Tommy can’t have casual sex. His dick has been feeling limp, like himself really. He needs a spark. Apparently Daffney Molloy has spark, Tommy has never met her but he’s heard the stories… “

Smitten depicts a tragicomic series of loosely interlinked stories set in Kilkenny City over a succession of rainy summer nights. The characters at the core of Smitten are all young adults trying to find their bearings in life. The realities of adult life are dealing a harsh blow to the best laid plans, in a way that leaves them totally smitten… in all the meanings of the word.

Alcoholism. Pregnancy. Testicular Cancer. Career choices. Doomed Relationships. Sock Puppets. Mystery girls. How to dance to Bruce Springsteen. And rain. Lots of rain. Smitten plays as a theatrical collage, with intertwining stories and varying forms of narrative giving life to the comic and often tragic stories that litter the rainy streets of Kilkenny City.

The cast of all locals features Stephen Colfer, Ross Costigan, Amy Dunne, Ken McGuire, Kevin Mooney, Lynsey Moran, Niamh Moroney, John Morton, Maria Murray, Suzanne O'Brien, Jack O'Leary, Annette O'Shea and Geoff Warner Clayton.

TonyandCatPoster.jpg

Tickets are 10EURO and are currently on sale from the good folks down in Rollercoaster Records, Kieran Street. More details about the play can be found on http://www.devioustheatre.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

i wonder why there is no issue being made of this thread when an earlier thread was locked for advertising a gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

This has to do with culture and the Arts things which Kilkenny is famous for and gives a description of the play and the parts,which is more informative that just plugging a gig.

Or Maybe Sully hasn't seen it yet, we know how he loves to lock things

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

i would consider a band playing their music to be cultural - didn't music play its part in the arts festival.

i havn't been around here long but from what i have seen, he seems a bit trigger happy.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Namesco wrote: »

Or Maybe Sully hasn't seen it yet, we know how he loves to lock things

Oh hello. If you have a problem with me - be the man and send me a PM instead of hiding behind small text.

With regards to whether this gets locked or not - if the poster contributes elsewhere on Boards, its okay as long as it doesn't get to "in your face". People coming without contributing are site banned. This is a general Boards.ie rule, but people thought "Ah sure, its in the region -- why not?" and continued doing so thinking it isn't spam. Sorry - it is.

Myself and Stephen are working on a new charter which will address this issue.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

bennyob wrote: »
    i would consider a band playing their music to be cultural - didn't music play its part in the arts festival.

i havn't been around here long but from what i have seen, he seems a bit trigger happy.

Same goes to you Benny ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

I am more than happy to contribute to this forum so I'm not going to reduce myself to human spam.

I've also tried to be as descriptive and informative as I can be about a Kilkenny based project produced in Kilkenny by a group of Kilkenny folks, as opposed to to just plain plugging stuff, so I hope it's satisfied that criteria and I can understand why said criteria needs to be satisfied.

However, I have to be honest and say that a previous post highlighting the focus on sex shops and hen nights and the subsequent locking of music related announcements had a point. Of course, if there was some sort of rules for the mention of public events on this forum then I think it would be a good way to redress the balance. It'd be a sad state of affairs if the culture of Kilkenny was getting locked left, right and centre and hen nights were being actively encouraged. But thanks for not dismissing the above post as plain old spam because that's not our intention.

Oh, and come see the play, it's got tits in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

Threadhead wrote: »
    Oh, and come see the play, it's got tits in it.

nicely said, looks a bit heavy though, not a thing for kids!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Sully wrote: »
    Oh hello. If you have a problem with me - be the man and send me a PM instead of hiding behind small text.

WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

Many Mods are like that.. try not to make them mad..

It was a joking attempt to appeal to the stage and hen crowd that get such good use out of the forum.

But no, the play's not for kids. Maybe it might have tits... Willie's doing stag rates down in Rollercoaster at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

we're all wandering off topic a bit no ?

Ilike that this was posted - its a kilkenny forum, a kilkenny event, its useful to have info here on things going on

I understand the othe post was closed becuase it was over a good few sites

I'm not sure there was a real problem though

this post however has put in some effort, some detail

I am trying to decide what stuff to do over the arts festival and beyond and I appreciate finding it in one place

equally when the dysart festival was in the air i got the most accurate details following a link posted here

I don't know how I can make this any simpler for you lads. But ill do my best.

Advertising ANYTHING on this site without paying is spam. Spam/Advertising is against Boards.ie Rules. Rules are created by the site owners.

The first post is spam. It doesn't matter that the event is based in Kilkenny. Its still spam. Spam is a site bannable offense. However, to be fair to the OP he doesn't come onto this site just to spam. He contributes on the site in addition to posting information on different events - which is why he is still a member and his topic is still open. People who come on and only post about events are banned simply because there just using Boards to spam and nothing else. There simply not welcome here.

OP: In future, your going to have to cut down the information in the post. An Cmod / Smod could easily ban you for advertising and ignore that you contribute as that post is one big advert. I'm sure your just trying to be useful, but less advert looking and just a small post will make things a lot better :)

Now, if anyone wants to discuss this further please do so over PM. This has gone way of topic. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭StudentEmeritus

For the record I really like the fact that posts such as above are left up. I'm living in Dublin and when I do go home I like to know what's going on and the like. Harmless on the whole, non?

For the record I really like the fact that posts such as above are left up. I'm living in Dublin and when I do go home I like to know what's going on and the like. Harmless on the whole, non?

I agree. Its something we are looking into, but for the moment I have been advised thats a simply not permitted. I hope to have a solution to the problem over the next few days.

Bit of a zombie resurrection of this thread but the play is being performed again starting this Sunday in Kilkenny Arts Office on John Street. If it's Kilkenny based comedy you're in the mood for, then you might well enjoy it.

Here's the trailer:

http://youtu.be/lhTVeCexJRQ

Advertisement