Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bike problem

Options
  • 11-08-2008 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭

I bought a new bike a few weeks ago. Since then I've had problems with the front derailleur. I brought it back to Halfords to get the shifter fixed (three shifter positions but only two cogs- what gives?). I did a quick check after getting and it looked like it was changing smoothly. But as soon as I brought it back home it went back to not changing smoothly, i.e. the chain would take a while to catch the large cog properly.

Prior to bringing it in to Halfords I had tried adjusting the derailleur and that seemed to work for about ten minutes before it slipped into it's old habit, and it seems that after I brought it home again that it has slipped again.

Should I be looking to exchange this bike for another instead, perhaps one that has a shifter that matches the same number of cogs? Otherwise am I forever doomed to trying to make derailleur adjustments? The back one is perfect and I do like the bike but I think this business of messing about trying to get the gear change is really slowing me down, however someone told me that this is a common problem with new bikes - is this the case and it is simply a matter of persevering until I get the adjustment right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Should I be looking to exchange this bike for another instead, perhaps one that has a shifter that matches the same number of cogs?

You should tell halfords that you want a shifter designed to work with your two chainrings.
    however someone told me that this is a common problem with new bikes - is this the case and it is simply a matter of persevering until I get the adjustment right?

This has a kernel of truth. When bought new the bikes gears are configured properly. After some use, the derailler cables stretch a little bit, throwing off the configuration. The gears must be adjusted for this. Once this is done though, no more adjustments should be needed (within reason).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

many brifters are designed to work with double or triple chainwheels (e.g. sora,tiagra, 105 ),you can use the limit screws to affect the number of achievable positions; it's not necessarily that you've been given the "wrong" brifters, so don't go in all gung ho, unless you have ended up with the ultegra or dura-ace triple shifter and a double crankset.
    Cables stretch over time. Getting the gears set up just so takes some patience and time, and a lot of fiddling. a quarter of a turn of the barrel can make the difference between it being good and bad.Persevere.

But I think your first mistake was expecting Halfords to be able to set it up correctly for you. They sell car accesories. They stock some bikes. Wipers, bulbs, seat covers and spray paint do not need to be tuned or serviced.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Is there only two positions on the shifter or will it only shift into two gears?

What bike is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

kenmc wrote: »
    many brifters are designed to work with double or triple chainwheels (e.g. sora,tiagra, 105 ),

Actually the 105 brifter (ST-5600) can be used with double or triple front derailleurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

penexpers wrote: »
    Actually the 105 brifter (ST-5600) can be used with double or triple front derailleurs.
    Isn't that what I just said? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

kenmc wrote: »
    Isn't that what I just said? :confused:

oops yeah. Carry on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It's a carerra Gryphon with sram sx5 with a three position front shifter but with two cogs. I think I'll play about a little with the adjustments to see if it improves until the cable wears in although I'm wondering if I just bring it to a good bicycle shop can they fix it permanently?

It occurred to me to ask also if it is possible to change the two cogs at the front for three to have a better range of gears?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

It's not really trivial to change a double to a triple, no. It does sound strange that you have a three position front flat bar shifter- what happens if you go one position too far? Nothing, or does the derailleur rub/the chain come off? If nothing, that may be OK, but if the latter you would want that fixing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

it's very difficult to push it into the third position so it's not too bad just a little odd. I did spend a few hours tweaking only to find it in back or shifting down became a problem. I'm hoping that this is just it wearing in

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

It could seem like a three position shifter due to the 'trim' position. For example, I have 2 'clicks' on my shifter to go between the two cogs on the front derailleur -one moves it slightly, the second shifts it.

Does that make sense?

• Advertisement
Advertisement