Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fiat Panda, thoughts?

Options
  • 12-08-2008 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

Anyone got one? I always secretly liked them. They look like fun - would be a nice addition?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Don't have one but they are a good little car, the 1.3 diesel multijet would be my choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,910 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've a petrol and access to a diesel - both exceptionally reliable, the 1.1 engine is a bit heavier on fuel than you'd imagine but still getting 45mpg. The diesel is closer to 60mpg and is surprisingly fast.

If you're going at the cheap end, remember if reading UK reviews that (for once) Ireland gets a higher spec across the line than the UK. Theres no manual windows, tape decks, etc in the Irish range whereas there is in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭fletch

My Mam is on her second one. In 5 years of ownership, nothing mechanical has gone wrong, one electrical niggle with the radio but thats all that has ever gone wrong. They are a great car around town, I love driving my Mam's 1.1. The suspension is soft and there's very little overhangs so it's great for flying over ramps :D
    One annoying little thing, the rear parcel shelf doesn't rise when you lift the boot, neither does it fall. So generally you lift it up to put your shoppin in and forget to put it back down. That's about all I can think of to complain about.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,910 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I can put the parcel shelf down from the drivers seat in mine - but I am 6'4"!

Which is another thing - despite being a tiny car, I can drive it comfortably. The same is not true of the Micra, Clio, 107 (and twins)...

Yeh I have no problems driving it either. I love the gearchange up on the dash too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Normally drive a barge but my sister has one of these (the 1.3 diesel). I love finding an excuse to drive it. It's just great fun around town and very responsive. Haven't driven it on a long trip so don't know what it's like on the open road.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Haven't driven one but my wife has. She said that it was a nice car to drive but that you wouldn't want to be regularly carting 5 people anywhere :) She enjoyed driving it.

The Fiat 500 is out now and is selling very well in the UK with long waiting lists in some dealerships :) There's also an Arbath 500! If it came down to buying one over the other I'd have the 500 but the Panda gets good reviews too.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

Wow - thanks for the replies guys :) I might have to give this some thought after all!

Seems to be a fairly useful thing. I've seen the new 500 about - its very nice and neat - but I actually prefer the more utilitarian look of the Panda!! Reminds me of a Volvo...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

I reckon the Panda 100 is one of the best superminis built in the last five years. The 500 seems a bit too cutesy for my tastes. I don't think the 500 Abarth SS is going to be value for money, maybe once a few have fallen in to the second hand market...

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭drver1

Drove one a couple weeks back, Thought it was a great little car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

James May from Topgear owns one ,so they cant be to bad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

Barr wrote: »
    James May from Topgear owns one ,so they cant be to bad :)

lol... of the three of them, I'd prob get on the best with him - he even made a prog about meccano!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭radioactiveman

Hi
    The multijet engine is meant to be very good, I was in a panda with it a while ago and it did seem very quiet
    http://www.carpages.co.uk/fiat/fiat-multijet-diesel-engine-04-06-05.asp

In Italy you can get the new Pandas with the multijet engine and a 'metano' tank as standard, which takes a kind of methane fuel (I think). The two together are very economical, something like 10 euros of fuel would last you a distance of Dublin - Galway. I'd say we'll have flying cars before that's available in Ireland though:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

superjosh9 wrote: »
    lol... of the three of them, I'd prob get on the best with him - he even made a prog about meccano!

Yeah his my favourite as well ..some of the stuff he comes say is very funny.

I think he uses his Panda for city driving , and a classic Rolls Royce at the weekends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Speaking of James May, he was in Ireland last weekend - met him in a Texaco garage near Carlow. Was driving the Roller (not the Panda :)), looked like he was over with a few friends. Wandered over to say hello and confirmed it was indeed him. Didn't see any film crew about though so we probably won't be seeing an Irish episode of Top Gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

The Panda is a really pleasant little car that is fun to drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

My missus had a '04 one for 3 yrs. It never gave problems until year 2 where the shock absorbers went in it plus the headlight switch failed as well.
    Another car owner i knew had a fuel pump fail in it just suddenly. The car is a bit small though for space, a downside.

That said, it's a fantastic drive around, great for parking. Using the steering wheel and brakes are different as those controls are more 'looser' than other cars i know of, both power steering.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Butt ugly

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Butt ugly
    :) While I love my Mam's panda, I would have to agree, it isn't the best looking car in the world. The 100HP is decent enough though.
    fiat_panda_100hp_2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

car_photo_22833_7.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

I love the Fiat 500, just wish I could afford one without having to cut back on my shopping budget!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I love the Fiat 500, just wish I could afford one without having to cut back on my shopping budget!

Well there's not much room in the boot for groceries so if you buy a Fiat 500 you won't be able to buy food to transport food home :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Well there's not much room in the boot for groceries so if you buy a Fiat 500 you won't be able to buy food to transport food home :D:D

i was thinking more along the lines of clothes and makeup :)

Advertisement