Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Star trek Online

• 12-08-2008 1:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭

As someone who has seen all 726 esp of star trek many times (finally the years of not having a gf make sense), and is counting the days till the 11th Movie, i am really looking forward to this game.

Thankfull Cryptic Studios have the licence now , as the pervous company had no experience and went belly up. but yes even if i was not a star trek fan i would like it just cause , i like sci fi settings more then fanasty.
    Oh well with a star trek ip , i am sure cryptic will sell alot of copies , but hopefully it will be good too.

Gameplay trailier
    http://www.gametrailers.com/player/38183.html

Game being showed to trekkies at star trek convention in vegas (with spock !)
    http://startrekonline.com/node/75

but be warned the trailier is after a few months of work , the game will not be finished for about 3 more years (mmo take a long time )

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Can't see the vids but sounds good. Would love a start trek mmorpg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Looks promising. Could be good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

It was annoucned that under the new developers of the game that it would aim for a more "casual" audience, which sucks. The old concept had you working on a ship with real people and working your way up the ranks. This new way has everyone commanding their own ship, which means thousands and thousands of ships, which imo will take away somewhat from the universe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭Irishtrekkie

well someone how has worked as a paid games tester for computer games , and played a good few mmo games , i can honestly say "the old concept had you working on a ship with real people and working your way up the ranks"

would have never worked, it easy to get a few friends to play , or like minded players , but to run a ship is a different thing, too many lazy players to mess things up or just to hard to get into , and there are still ranks , you will have your own ship but you dont start off as a caption , and your first ship would be something small runabout ? nova class maybe ? .

also if you look at the vegas video you can see that workign with other players is a very important part of the game
    to get things like building space stations

As for "casual" audience , they just dont want the game to be a hugh grind fest and all about leveling up like wow , there trying to make it more fun from the start like the other games crytic studios have made (city of heros and villians)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭TVDX

The game will not take three years to make.
    The server side engine Cryptic are using is the same as their previous MMO titles.
    Right now they are constructing Star Trek assets.

At the Vegas presentation Jack Emmert said he couldn't give a time frame for the release because if he said anything less than three years most developers in the industry would laugh.
    But this is a different situation where the core of the game is already there.
    The official description says the game is set is 2409.
    This has been widely rumoured as to coincide with 2009.
    Of course releasing the game around the time of the new Star Trek movie also makes perfect sense.
    Early 2010 at the very latest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I can't wait, this could be really good. I was thinking of how cool a star trek mmorpg would be myself, before reading about this.

Advertisement