Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SMS strangeness

• 12-08-2008 1:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

Is it just me going plain crazy or sheer coincidence each time?

I have my phone in my pocket. I take it out. I unlock the keypad. There is no SMS. I lock the keypad and put the phone into my pocket. The phone vibrates, SMS received.

This happens a few times a day in work and I'm wondering if anyone has a clue what's going on?

It's happened with both O2 and Meteor and with 2 or 3 different phones. Could my pockets really be blocking signal that much ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

probably just coincidence, always happens to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I would say it's just coincidence!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

maybe ur leg is tingling from the message beginning to arrive..................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i'd say its more likely that you obsessively check your phone every 30 seconds or so so it's quite likely to happen. And when it happens you don't think of the 500 times that day that it didn't happen.

Something a bit weirder that happens to me is i'll get an urge to call my gf and the call will fail because she's just had the same urge and is calling me

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Something a bit weirder that happens to me is i'll get an urge to call my gf and the call will fail because she's just had the same urge and is calling me
    Awwww the happy couple :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

random wrote: »

I have my phone in my pocket. I take it out. I unlock the keypad. There is no SMS. I lock the keypad and put the phone into my pocket. The phone vibrates, SMS received.

This happens a few times a day in work and I'm wondering if anyone has a clue what's going on?

It's happened with both O2 and Meteor and with 2 or 3 different phones. Could my pockets really be blocking signal that much ?

Could be your balls getting pissed off that they are being slowly sterilised from all the radiation in that region and they send a signal to the brain telling you to check your phone? That way they get a few seconds peace while the phone is in your hands? :P

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I reckon all the phone use has effected your brain to such an extent that it is effectivley an antenna for mobile signals. And it picks up the signal slightly before the phone does and sends a signal to your hand to take the phone out as there is a message arriving.
    The phone is just a bit slow in the uptake, maybe get one with better reception and you all will be in perfect sync :)

Mik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 jjpm

I'm going to go with just plain crazy on this one... Unless you're turning into a superhero with super senses? You could be sensing a message a little earlier than it actually arrives. With a little training, it could really develop.

Could we record a TV series? It'll be like Smallville but, well, involving mobile phones :D

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Dammer

Maybe you are Psychic.

On an entirely different matter, will you pick me 6 random numbers form between.... Lets say 1 and 45.
    Many Thanks ;)

• Advertisement

Dammer wrote: »
    Maybe you are Psychic.

On an entirely different matter, will you pick me 6 random numbers form between.... Lets say 1 and 45.
    Many Thanks ;)

Thanks to tcd :D

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Dammer

Thanks, but those numbers go against the "consective number theory"

Ooops I've said too much.

Eh.. What's that noise? Hang on, who's ther....................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Awwww the happy couple :D

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    :o
    Does anybody get the phantom vibrations in their pocket.?

Its when you feel your pocket vibrating so you go to get your phone out expecting a message and discover that its on the desk in front of you and them vibrations you were convinced you felt weren't real

Its when you feel your pocket vibrating so you go to get your phone out expecting a message and discover that its on the desk in front of you and them vibrations you were convinced you felt weren't real
    Yup. Annoying more than anything else.

dozens of times a day. and then there's the times like when i'm wearing a coat and it rubs off my leg and i'm 99% sure the vibration i felt was from the coat but i still feel the need to check the phone, just in case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Right, so not only am I crazy the whole of the Mobiles forum is. I'm happy to hear it lol :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Jesus, thought that was only me. Glad to see im not alone on that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Leon11

random wrote: »

happens to me the odd time,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Walkman wrote: »
    Jesus, thought that was only me. Glad to see im not alone on that one.

Defo not it seems, i have thought about it loads of times, thought it was just me though.

To attached to mobiles??? :o

Advertisement