Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halo 3 Wins Innovation Award

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

0ubliette wrote: »
    oh lol, lets bash halo.
    Fact of the matter is halo 3 did innovate quite a bit with forge and theater mode. What FPS before halo let you record your entire game either SP or MP, as a film, replay it, pause, rewind, take screenshots, make moves, and share them with your friends by uploading em to a dedicated website before? (and dont say 'lol fraps' as its a 3rd party program)
    Forge mode lets people basically make brand new MP games, without needing any programming knowledge or mod making skills. Just play games like team rocket race or zombie and stuff like that to see it in action.
    Portal isnt as innovative as it likes to think it is. Prey did portals 2 years before it was eve released. (portal did them better, but prey had the idea first). Portals main game is over in about 2 hours and alot of its praise is down tot he fact that its got a funny song at the end. Hardly innovation. But i suppose its easier to bash halo than portal cause you know, 'halos like for the kids and xbot newbs LAWL'

Battlefield 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

R0ot wrote: »
    Battlefield 2

No, it didnt.

Look you can argue all you like, the fact of the matter is that if any of those games had actually implemented these phantom features youre talking about in any kind of user friendly or visible manner, (using the command line, what a great USP for an FPS) maybe they would have won the EDGE™ award for innovation. but as it stands, they havent. No, not even portal. you cant actually argue with that. Youre all wrong, and probably just a little upset that games you love never won awards for innovation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

No, it didnt.

Look you can argue all you like, the fact of the matter is that if any of those games had actually implemented these phantom features youre talking about in any kind of user friendly or visible manner, (using the command line, what a great USP for an FPS) maybe they would have won the EDGE™ award for innovation. but as it stands, they havent. No, not even portal. you cant actually argue with that. Youre all wrong, and probably just a little upset that games you love never won awards for innovation.

I'm pretty sure it's an annual thing, all of the games everyone has cited weren't released this year it would be hard, nigh on impossible, for them to win. Dispite predating the alleged innovation of Halo3 by anywhere up to ten years.

You sir are, infact, wrong and i claim my five pounds.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

weighted-companion-cube.png

Companion cube says 'Fail!'

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Source Tv? Let you do all that while the game was being played. Even put a delay on it so you could stop cheats. Couple of thousand people could watch it live. Kinda makes forge look stupid now.

And I would not call the command line hard.
    Push console button, "record (demoname)", "play (demoname)". When it starts you get a nice fancy GUI. What's hard about that? They didn't plaster it in your face and call it "Forge" because it was a normal feature of a fps. Still is.

Its an award for innovation. What is pointed out is that HAlO3 didn't do anything new. They used an old idea, named it and put it in the menu. And they won a award for it? Going by your logic they also should have been awarded for redesigning the fps game. They didn't but f*ck it, its HALO3 right. Fanboys would love that.

Lastly, why would any of us care if games didn't win awards. Nobody cares. except for when they win a award for something they didn't really do well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Youre all wrong

I was going to give a sensible reply but it seems cuddlesworth got there before me. So I'll leave it at "no you are".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Ivan wrote: »
    I'm sorry, having a controversial view point, I can understand. But wading into the dragons lair, stating this controversial opinion and then leaving without explaining why... just doesnt work for me.

I dont do conssole gaming that much, but I have played Halo 1&2 on the PC and I own Halo 3... Innovative it isnt.

I honestly thought this was meant to be some type oif joke when I was opening this thread...

yeah its just it would take a while to explain. its basically to do with xbox live and community gaming and such. the fact that im a big online gamer myself on the PC and that Halo 3 is the only game that on a console that can really touch PC games on the whole community front, demos, forge etc.
    i dont really think any of those rhythm games are innovative... just Parappa the Rappa repackaged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

WOW! quake let you position the camera anywhere on the map, record films, screenshots, gave you dedicated server storage space, view the action from your enemies POV, watch in 3rd person, all back in 1996? ****, i loved quake, wish id known about those features back then, maybe id have used them.

Not exactly (you could certainly take screenshots, and third person was also an option if you were willing to delve into console commands), but so what?
    Has anybody seriously USED theatre mode for more than 5 minutes? Has it somehow enrichened your gaming experience?

Halo 3 was an entertaining shooter, but definitely not worthy of this award.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

Bungie.net

I have to say that I don't believe Halo3 should have won the Innovation Award but I'm impressed by the stats and facts that are available on Bungie.net.

I know that it's nothing to do with the game, per sé, but I think it's kinda cool to be able to look back at gun you used to get your very first kill online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Halo's just on the xbox, which means it's not a real game

• Advertisement
Advertisement