Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ouija board

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Skeptic_Desu

Well in order for it to work properly you are operating the board on a sub conscious level and in doing so opening up a channel to your own sub conscious mind in the same way that hypnosis would.

Anyway... I wouldn't recommend a Ouija board on the basis that it's time that could be spent playing Hungry Hungry Hippos instead.
    Always been more of a Mouse Trap man myself.
    Hypnosis is a very tricky subject that is perhaps deserving of it's own thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭LCDeelite

If I ever get around to it, I'll let you know.

Where does one actually get a ouija board anyway?

You don't need to go out to a shop and get THE OFFICIAL ouija board- you can either get a friggin' game of Scrabble or tear up bits of paper writing the letters and numbers on them, with a glass in the centre. It's very straightforward, in fairness.

People here seem to think that it's the board itself and such that's what causes malevolent events. Like MonkeyFudge was saying, it's more of a psychological manipulator than anything of a metaphysical nature.

Having said that, I'm still very creeped out by the VERY REAL stories my cousin and neighbour (particularly my neighbour's one) told me. Mairead had told my sister *years* before Owen had died about how the 3 of them had used the ouija board and that that information had came through as well. It's f*ckin' freaky.

Whatever about ouija boards in themselves, I seriously believe there is something intangible - yet real - 'out there'. I have had that belief either substantiated by my own experiences or those of others.

Well in order for it to work properly you are operating the board on a sub conscious level and in doing so opening up a channel to your own sub conscious mind in the same way that hypnosis would.

I fully agree with that. The human mind is a potential mindfield if the power of suggestion gets out of hand. There's usually trauma to some extent or another buried in most people's psyches. Playing around with sort of paranormal tools like the ouija board can tip an already psychologically fragile person over the edge. Some people are better off sticking to experiencing very mundane, banal everyday life experiences- for the sake of their own mental health.

Does anyone remember how that ex-Boyzone fella Shane Lynch went a tad loo-la a few years back? It wasn't loo-la in a highly public, Britney-esque way, BTW. He later said that he had been messing around with ouija boards, voodoo, trying to summon spirits and that he opened a door (figuratively) that took him quite a bit of effort to close again. He said he opened himself up to a lot of negative sh1te and that he was relieved to leave it all behind.

I don't know of the absolute specifics of all that, but he seemed genuinely freaked out by whatever he came across (either perceived by him or something that was very real). Well, it's kinda interesting all the same..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Interesting... sure...

He's a Born Again Christian now FYI

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ghost Girl

Interesting thread!
    What ever the deal is with the Ouija board, I just wouldn't go near it, Be it the human mind, a psychological thing, or spirits etc etc, it doesn't matter, if like the earlier poster said it showed a trail of destruction which was supposedly predicted through playing the god dam thing, why would you go near one? as one person said earlier, its always negative stuff, never positive happenings, so why would you get involved just to see if the negative happens to you or your friends playing it??

When I was in secondary school, I'd heard about them, and some girls drew one on the back of one of the school desks and during breaks or free classes a group of them would get together, about 8 main players, and 20 on lookers, i was asked to play but refused, and just listened to what was going on. Any way, the game took off and the same girls got hooked and were asking questions and supposedly getting answers over the period of a week, but they'd be screaming running away, and coming back, they got to the stage where they asked some thing along the lines of who would die first, and it supposedly gave the initials of one of the girls. This was before the summer holidays, and that girl was killed in a road crash during summer. Her junior cert results were waiting for her at the college at the end of summer, and I remember you could hear a pin drop when the stupid teacher read out her name to collect the results, and became extremely embarassed when she realised what she did! any way, point is every one remembered that ouija game, and whether it was coinsodence or not, no one will forget it. I used one on paper once by myself, and yes that night some thing negative happened my family ~(nothing life threatening) but lets just say, it was totally out of character for my family, and i immediately put it down to me messing with it earlier that day. Now that could be coinsodence, but I tore the dam thing up, threw it in a bin in school at the time, and guess what - and im not bull sh1tting here - it reappeared back together again in pieces in one of the class rooms. Ok one of the students may have done it, but i tore it to many many small pieces. They did one dam good job putting it back together again, if that was the case! so that was the end of my ouija board thingy.

• Advertisement

Dave! wrote: »
    Interesting... sure...

Are you taking the p1ss out of my remark that Shane Lynch's loony tales seemed "interesting"? That's very boring of you.

Yes, I know.

I have known that fact since it first came to light.

I don't want someone who uses the most boring name ever invented as their boards.ie username to tell me what I already know.

You're boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

LCDeelite wrote: »
    I don't want someone who uses the most boring name ever invented as their boards.ie username to tell me what I already know.

Hey... the added exclamation mark makes it exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭???

Personal abuse? Seen people banned for less...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

And LCD has been banned too ... fair mods around these parts.

• Advertisement

6th wrote: »
    And LCD has been banned too ... fair mods around these parts.

"Fair mods"? Well, what the f*ck is that supposed to mean??? :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

:confused: I thought he was banned...???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Interesting... sure...

Monkeyfudge is now officially a Born Again Psychic FYI

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

It's down to the well-documented ideomotor effect, not because of spirits or any other such nonsense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideomotor_effect

The ideomotor effect is a psychological phenomenon wherein a subject makes motions unconsciously. As in reflexive responses to pain, the body sometimes reacts reflexively to ideas alone without the person consciously deciding to take action. For instance, tears are produced by the body unconsciously in reaction to the emotion of sadness, usually without any intervention of conscious will.

Stage hypnotists exploit the ideomotor effect for entertainment value, convincing volunteers to perform some action without consciously deciding to do so. The volunteers usually have no memory of their performance, much like sleepwalkers who are unaware that they are acting on stimulus existing almost entirely in their own minds More subtle unconscious physical reactions are often used by magicians and illusionists to perform "mind-reading" tricks.

Automatic writing, dowsing, facilitated communication, and Ouija boards have also been attributed to the effect of this phenomenon. Mystics have often attributed this motion to paranormal or supernatural force. Many subjects are unconvinced that their actions are originating solely from within themselves.

The term was first used in a paper discussing the means through which the Ouija board produced its results, by William Benjamin Carpenter in 1852. In the paper, Carpenter explained his theory that muscular movement can be independent of conscious desires or emotions.

Scientific tests by the English scientist Michael Faraday, the French chemist Michel Eugène Chevreul, and the American psychologists William James and Ray Hyman have demonstrated that many phenomena attributed to spiritual or paranormal forces, or to mysterious "energies," are actually due to ideomotor action. Furthermore, these tests demonstrate that "honest, intelligent people can unconsciously engage in muscular activity that is consistent with their expectations" (Hyman 1999).[1] They also show that suggestions that can guide behavior can be given by subtle clues (Hyman 1977).

Some alternative medicine practitioners claim they can use the ideomotor effect to communicate with a patient's unconsciousness using a system of physical signals (such as finger movements) for the unconscious mind to indicate "yes", "no" or "I'm not ready to know that consciously". Scientific studies have not been conducted to support this method.[2]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

I think if you want to try by all means do,but you should also listen to people who have bad experiences.I think sometimes its very easy to take the mickey on something like this butwhen you have a bad experience like i did and the entity is following you around you tend to believe pretty damn quick.I know i wouldnt try it again its made me very wary.Luckily i never asked any stupid questions like when was i going to die.You just dont know who you are going to get or what will happen,i could be coincidence but i wouldnt like to bet on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Would a oujia board work if the participants were blindfolded ?

assuming there was a camera or someone else watching to see what was said.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭???

No it doesn't. It's been shown before that all you get is gibberish!

??? wrote: »
    No it doesn't. It's been shown before that all you get is gibberish!

Ah... but that's because the spirit is using your eyes to see the board. You can cover every angle if you really want to believe that dead people hang about waiting for you to whip out a ouija board so they can deliver threatening messages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Skeptic_Desu

Ah... but that's because the spirit is using your eyes to see the board. You can cover every angle if you really want to believe that dead people hang about waiting for you to whip out a ouija board so they can deliver threatening messages.
    But what if the ouija board was in braille?

But what if the ouija board was in braille?

Well you'd need to a person and/or spirit who knows brail. How likely is that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Cathal01

That story about the bus is an urban legend....

I found a Parker Brothers oujia board in a Chicago mall a few years ago. I really shouldn't have told my mother I was going to buy it because she proceeded to almost birth a foal and proclaimed that over her dead body would I be bringing a oujia board into her house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭dreamr

i havnt tried a ouija board before, but me and my friends tried ... ok i cant remember the name of the game, but basically you throw down 3 rocks, and if they land in a straight line it means yes and a triangle means no. You have to ask can you speak to spirits, throw the rocks and try get an answer. Then you have to close the gate you opened by throwing the rocks til it closes.

basically i thought it was a load of pants until my friend asked was it going to rain, we were in a sunny country, with no clouds and weather report was sun the whole week, and the rocks rolled yes. then after we closed, about half an hour later the skies opened.

that freaked me out. even if it was just a coinsidense. I've never messed with them again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 rover84

??? wrote: »
    Oooh ooh. Maybe I could use a ouija board, get possessed by a malevolent spirit and kill this guy I hate. The judge would totally let me off, it wasn't me like. Everyone knows there's all sorts of proof of malevolent spirits possessing people who use ouija boards.

:pac: Now thats sarcasm at its best

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

There's one for sale on adverts.ie:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=200813&cat=229

This what its say on the advert

This is a Ouija Board which i have used only twice since getting it.
    Both my experiences were really scary so i'm not keen on ever using it again-Waay too freaked out!

:eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

I tried this years ago..no flying tables or anything, it works at a very subtle level I think, cant be a great activity to engage in. chilled out spirits would be jumping around the universe (so to speak) having a ball...reckon it's the pissed off crew that would be hanging around our neck of the woods. Keep the door closed, your letting all the heat out and anyway It's dark out there, wait tell the light calls you:)

Advertisement