Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are Shelbourne FC in trouble after the floods?

• 12-08-2008 1:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭

Have heard on other message boards that Shelbourne might be in difficulty after the savage rain in Dublin.

I've seen pics of the bar being underwater but there are rumours that the grounds haven't been insured properly and as a result Shels are facing ruin, is there any truth in this at all?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

NO, it's grand:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Publin

I'd imagine that is was fully insured and any flood damage will be covered by the insurance payout. Happend before in Tolka.

As for losing money though, Shamrock having their game called off against Sunderland on Saturday probably cost them a few bob!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

If shels didn't insure there grounds against floods they deserve to be in trouble. That is incompetence by the board or whomever selects the insurance if they didnt have flood insurance when there stadium is beside a fecking river.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Being beside the river might make flood insurance almost impossible to get though so I dunno if its fair to call it incompetence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Are you joking? Flood's been their best player all season...

(Ok i've got my coat. Cheerio...)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

ibh wrote: »
    Are you joking? Flood's been their best player all season...

(Ok i've got my coat. Cheerio...)

I hope its got a hood on it
    its been raining quite a lot recently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Any pics online of the damage to the bar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Any pics online of the damage to the bar?

683476199a8588383825l.jpg
    683476199a8588429703l.jpg

from today's Indo:

Shelbourne Football Club chairman Joe Casey yesterday pledged to reopen the two underground bars in the Tolka Park stadium in Dublin which were flooded after the River Tolka burst its banks. All the furniture and carpets were soaked, while stock was also affected by rising sewage and water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Did they put the signs up for wet paint before the floods :P

Sarge wrote: »
    Did they put the signs up for wet paint before the floods :P

Seen it myself, quite ironic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Publin wrote: »
    I'd imagine that is was fully insured and any flood damage will be covered by the insurance payout. Happend before in Tolka.

You would imagine wrong.

I'd imagine that is was fully insured and any flood As for losing money though, Shamrock having their game called off against Sunderland on Saturday probably cost them a few bob!!
    If you mean Rovers, how exactly do we lose money? Game is rescheduled for March and we were insured. Its not ideal, but won't cost us anything.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

while stock was also affected by rising sewage and water/QUOTE]

I'd heard the pint in there tasted like ****e, didn't think people meant it though... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Is this not th old "act of god" get out clause the insurance companies love so much or do they have specific (i would assume more expensive) insurance to cover this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Stekelly wrote: »
    Is this not th old "act of god" get out clause the insurance companies love so much or do they have specific (i would assume more expensive) insurance to cover this?

They have specific flood insurance, after having to payout a couple of years ago Im sure it would have been nearly impossible to renew tho.

bohsman wrote: »
    They have specific flood insurance, after having to payout a couple of years ago Im sure it would have been nearly impossible to renew tho.

My understanding is Shels did not renew their flood insurance because they could not afford the premium.

Rovers had insurance for the specific event. Cops called off the game so we are covered.

If you mean Rovers, how exactly do we lose money? Game is rescheduled for March and we were insured. Its not ideal, but won't cost us anything.

The fact all the scarfs and progammes will be wrong, e.g. dates on them? Possibly new scarfs and progammes needed.

Wasn't rumour going around it being played in September?

Pitch and bar flooded again as of tonight according to the bar manager.:mad: Can't see Shams-Cawk match going ahead this Friday in Tolka if the weather doesn't pick up (which it ain't meant to).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Pitch and bar flooded again as of tonight according to the bar manager.:mad: Can't see Shams-Cawk match going ahead this Friday in Tolka if the weather doesn't pick up (which it ain't meant to).
    Jesus, that's rough. Hopefully Shels will pull through.

Jesus, that's rough. Hopefully Shels will pull through.

We will don't worry the fact we spent a good few grand last year sorting the pitch out so it was quality is trollox, the quicker we're out of Tolka the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Publin

You would imagine wrong.

Yep, you're right, they actually didn't renew it, I thought they would have. Last time it happened they were covered. Obviously the premium was greatly increased and they took the risk not to renew it.

As Gavin stated above programmes, scarves etc. would have to be re-printed. Fair enough if insurance covers that, a sensible move to cover the risk. What about putting Sunderland up/paying some of their costs (don't know what the deal was so maybe they paid their own way)?. Although the game will go ahead early next year, at the very least it'll affect (delay) cashflow a bit.

• Advertisement

Yep, you're right, they actually didn't renew it, I thought they would have. Last time it happened they were covered. Obviously the premium was greatly increased and they took the risk not to renew it.

I'm always right.
    As Gavin stated above programmes, scarves etc. would have to be re-printed. Fair enough if insurance covers that, a sensible move to cover the risk. What about putting Sunderland up/paying some of their costs (don't know what the deal was so maybe they paid their own way)?. Although the game will go ahead early next year, at the very least it'll affect (delay) cashflow a bit.

The programme was a double header with the Harps game on the day. I'm sure the loss on the scarves can be dealt with.

Niall Quinn is a member of Rovers, so we were getting Sunderland over for free.

This game is to help fund the clubhouse in Tallaght. No cashflow issue (although ticketmaster have the loot, I would assume we will see it long before the game in March).

Shels lose considerably more money on this than we do on the loss of rental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

We will don't worry the fact we spent a good few grand last year sorting the pitch out so it was quality is trollox, the quicker we're out of Tolka the better.

is there plans to leave tolka?

prendy wrote: »
    is there plans to leave tolka?

Yes, asap.

We had Whitehall sorted, plans, FAI funding it all (in exchange for them using if for under 19 international afaik), going to change Whitehall into a quality 5,000 seater with state of the art facilities. But Home Farm members rejected the proposal by 2 votes or something small like that.

Dermot Keely said he thought the real reason was the clash of Youth Teams, both Home Farms and Shels being some of the best in the country.

Was a big spender for ourselves according to Keely and Joe Casey.

Advertisement