Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1994 Catalytic Converter

Options
  • 12-08-2008 2:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 83,258 ✭✭✭✭

What could possibly cause this to go wrong? My sister says her friend says (bla) she needs it replaced. My dad has been driving on catalytic converters since theyve been out and has never had an issue. Im just doing some side-research (but know nothing about cars)

Sounds to the padre like someone wants her to fish out for a new converter so they can sell off the platinum in the old one, etc.

Probelm is the crazy bitch runs the car on vapor practically, and now the car cant even get to above 60mph without sounding like death.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Catalytic convertors don't last forever. Cats can be damaged by raw petrol which can easily get into the exhaust via a misfiring cylinder or faulty engine sensor. Overfilling with engine oil can also damage the cat.

On what basis was the decision made that condemned the catalytic convertor?

What make/model/year is the car in question?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,258 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Basically she's saying its just accelerating poorly and driving sluggishly. Ive ridden in it and havent noticed any crazy noises that my cousin says would indicate a Cat problem. My dad says it sounds to him (just hearing the issue over the phone) that its the Fuel Filter, and again, that someones trying to scam her.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Thee is a very very big difference in the cost of a fuel filter replacement compared to a cat.
    Get another diagnosis on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Could probably even just be spark plugs.

.. Sounds to me like people who haven't really got a clue trying to sound like they know what they are talking about.

Bring it to a mechanic and he will tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

And maybe it just needs a service. Either way I'd get a mechanic to check it out(mention service if it needs one) and quote you on what ever needs to be done.

• Advertisement
Advertisement