Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics card Upgrade Questions!

Options
  • 12-08-2008 2:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

My current graphics card is kinda slowing down a bit well its not handling Crysis or Age of Conan as good as id like.

So i was thinking about upgrading from my Geforce 8800GTS 640 mb to the best i can afford this time with in price range etc.

I wanna play crysis with everything on very high as at the moment its kinda almost on high and looks good but it slows down and stutters. Its like its just needs a bit more "oomph" i get about 20fps or less. Ive tried tweaking stuff and settings etc and still am but unless its running in full detail it akinda ruins the game for me.

My Pc Spec is still quite good;

Amd 64 6000 X2
    4 gigs ram
    Vista 64
    1 TB SATA2 drive

So the current range of cards seem to be;
    Nvidia GTX 260 or 280 (800/1gig ram) 350-420 euro

Ati's HD 4850/4870 Euros 270

The Ati cards a alot cheaper than the Nvidia ones

Links for the cards and prices; http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.aspx?bn=10488

So whats the best and has value for money? The Nvidia cards seem to be the "Best" but the prices are a bit steep when ATI have cards with similar features for cheaper. Can anyone help decide?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

4870 if you have the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,206 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Agreed on the 4870. it will rape Crysis and AoC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Terran

I disagree.

Both cards will provide good performance in Crysis, but now that the GeForce 200 series has hardware physics acceleration thanks to NVIDIA PhysX, other PhysX enabled games (Mass Effect, GOW etc.) will benefit from the GeForce far more than the Radeon.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

Overheal wrote: »
    Agreed on the 4870. it will rape Crysis and AoC

thanks folks ordered it, the price is too good compared to Nvidia. My last graphics card was an ATi, my current one in Nvidia and now im going back to Ati:)

Advertisement