Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quitting challenge.. whos with me? :]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭dubgirl15

Im on day two and feel grand today, trying to eat fruit instead of junk food! Hopefully i stay feeling okay all day!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Silver33

My quit day is Oct 1st! I'm reading Allen Carr but I just don't "feel" it sinking in... haven't decided what other help to use.. was toying with using Champix but am kinda put off by possible side effects. Does anyone know how successful Zyban has been? Thanks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

This is just me but I tried the patches before and found them counterproductive. Now I know that they say people have more success on them than cold turkey, but then they would say that. :) I could see them being useful in the first week to get over the physical habit of smoking, but after that you're then trying to wean yourself off nicotine so when you do knock the patches on the head you could get another withdrawal. I know a woman who still chews the gum two years later.:eek:

I think if you really wanna give up you will. I just got bored with them. I loved the one after a meal and the odd one with a pint, but the rest were just for addictions sake. I was also irritated that I was paying over the odds for a drug that wasn't making me high. Made no sense.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭Karen_*

:eek:I caught my son robbing fags on me yesterday so have promised to give them up!:eek:

I'm not thrilled about the idea of nicotine gum or patches. A bit like taking heroin to get off heroin?

i have gone cold turkey and the cravings are not as bad as i expected so far (only on day 2) i usually smoke 30 Benson a day, so i reckon im pretty badly hooked!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

Feel great had a couple of drinks last night and didnt smoke! Tempted but didnt. Knitting, jazz danicin, munching liquorice are serving a challenging replacements.

We dont WANT to smoke pollute or lungs inhale horrible toxins etc. We condition ourselves to thinking we want to.

Previous post recommended stopsmoking. ie

On day 6 So far so good!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

Im on day 6 of my second attempt, the last one lasted about 4 months..... im giving up around 10 to 12 silk cut purple a day..... im ok so far, cravings are killer, but i havent caved. Not looking forward to my first night out... I have been avoiding the pub:(

Day three for me and going pretty well. My sleeping is very disturbed though. I keep waking up with a sort of panicky feeling; its weird. Im trying to exercise every evening which is helping alot. anything that keeps me off the couch has to be good!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Day 5 without a fag. This is the longest I've gone without one in 22 years. I'm loving the sense of achievement and feel better than ever. Still no cravings, but do still think of the associative smoke when brewing a cuppa, or stuck in traffic. Looking forward to the day when a cig doesn't even enter my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭gstar

on day 26, and going great for me. :)

I picked up the allen carr book on a market stall for €2.50. I know you aren't meant to give up til you finish the book, but it is defo helping me change the way i percieve smoking. best €2.50 i've spent in ages! i'm about half way through and have given in to letting it work its magic on me.....;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 krissie

hello all, i've finally gotten back on the wagon :) quit last saturday evening, so almost 6 whole days gone.

i can't even count how many times i've tried. you know how they tell you sometimes to try 'practice quitting'? nnngggghhh. doesn't work. this time, it's not too bad - keep getting occasional crazy moments of 'i don't care i'll just run out and get a pack and feck, nobody can stop me, sure i can just try to quit again next week' but what does stop me is that i've convinced myself this is the final time. if i can't do it then i'll just have to live being an addict. but then i remember how difficult it was to not have a choice in smoking one ciggy after another! so, here's to freedom, and hopefully it'll get much easier soon. it's not too bad, really, just a constant nagging in the brain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Horizon22

D-Day is Monday! I have been planning this for ages. when I hit 30 (last May).... after EP..... blah blah blah.

I have 2 more chapters of Allen Carr book and 100 duty free JP Blue to finish off so this weekend is party hard weekend! :D

then thats it.. gave up for 4 months years ago with the book and found it very easy! never bothered trying again until now so wish me luck.

WON'T NEED IT THOUGH.. This time its happening :cool:

well done everyone that has done already!!!!!

Day 7 today and i dont feel particularly good at all!! I cant sleep, i feel really breathless, have pains in my chest and my skin looks like crap!! tell me it gets better?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭SuperStarHoney

First attempt in August failed, not miserably but failed at the same time, was staying off them during the week but smoking at the weekends when I was drinking. I'm on Day 8 now of my latest attempt and going ok, first big test is a Wedding this Friday. I'm going to go easy on the drink and I'm confident if I can get through Friday I'll be well on my way.

Good luck to everyone that's trying, was off them for 8 months last year and I can definitely say it's worth it............Just remember there's no such thing as one cigarette (my downfall last time). :D

dubgirl15 wrote: »
    Day 7 today and i dont feel particularly good at all!! I cant sleep, i feel really breathless, have pains in my chest and my skin looks like crap!! tell me it gets better?

Not sure about being breathless and pains in the chest but I always have the same thing with my Skin when I give up. It only lasts a week or two, I think it's all the toxins leaving your body. Your skin will look so much better once you stop, I noticed a significant difference when I was off for the 8 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

your doin great kid
    keep it up

the GALL wrote: »
    your doin great kid
    keep it up
    +1 drink buckets of water i will be 12 days today and skin is still a bit patchy but clearing. Someone told me sprints to open up lungs.

pseudonym, are you having shortness of breath or chest pains at all? how are you finding sleeping?

pseudonym, are you having shortness of breath or chest pains at all? how are you finding sleeping?

sometimes darting chest pains and it would be at night when lying down.
    Burning lavender oil which is calming and am on my third book in 12 days gradually sleeping a little better.

Dont worry it will all be worth it of that I am sure ;)

Great, thanks for that!!! yeah im drinking buckets of water and have gone on a complete health kick!! vitamins, exercise, water, i wont know myself by christmas!

Great, thanks for that!!! yeah im drinking buckets of water and have gone on a complete health kick!! vitamins, exercise, water, i wont know myself by christmas!

Same as - actually kinda gross how unfit I have become had a jog/walk earlier did up to about 3 mins more then last week which would make it bout 10 in total- so would that be half an hour by xmas at that rate? :D and the knock on side effect of being fit and fabulous by then-will just have to bear!
    You eating much ? Trying not too and i will swear by licorice as a good deterant.

• Advertisement

pseudonym1 wrote: »
    Same as - actually kinda gross how unfit I have become had a jog/walk earlier did up to about 3 mins more then last week which would make it bout 10 in total- so would that be half an hour by xmas at that rate? :D and the knock on side effect of being fit and fabulous by then-will just have to bear!
    You eating much ? Trying not too and i will swear by licorice as a good deterant.

Im eating all round me!!!! have never eaten so much! I have started to eat breakfast every morning which i never did before and i am having alot of snacks but am trying to have healthy ones like fruit, popcorn etc. My fitness level is terrible but trying to improve it by going to the gym and going swimming. Do you find alot of people seem to feel the need to tell you that you will never stay off them or " i wonder how long that will last". I am getting alot of that!

Im eating all round me!!!! have never eaten so much! I have started to eat breakfast every morning which i never did before and i am having alot of snacks but am trying to have healthy ones like fruit, popcorn etc. My fitness level is terrible but trying to improve it by going to the gym and going swimming. Do you find alot of people seem to feel the need to tell you that you will never stay off them or " i wonder how long that will last". I am getting alot of that!

Really ?? Twats its probably just a provocation technique or something. Na nobody has said ought like that although could be justified in my case its not first attempt. Sense a sneery reaction though!! mmmm.

Ya see if I put on any more weight I will be fat- plain and simple fat! So drinking protien shakes for breakfast and mid day if really hungry. A proper breakfast - very important - matabalism and all that- and lunch and or dinner and snack! No munching after 11 and licorice licorice licorice!
    Have taken up knitting far more productive then smoking and keeping me a busy when restless!

So hope I do it this time! Will definately have to curb the drinking though- it will just add to the pot - I ll be Rich Rich Rich!! Iiiiiif I havent gone crazy without nicotine by then :D

Anyway good work outta us :)

yes excellent work i reckon! One thing that im looking forward to is when giving up is not on my mind twenty four hours a day! I really feel this time will work for me, feeling very motivated! Sleep still has not improved but hopefully soon it will get better. Going out on friday for dinner and drinks which will be a big test but i reckon i will be fine.

hi to all those who are ahead of me! Well done.. i hope I get to the stage you are at.. I quit last night.. I had my last cigarette as Anne Boleyn was getting executed on The Tudors! :D
    Feel okay today... first day and all that.. all motivated.. stocked up on gum and mints.. getting liquorice later.. running to loo - drinking gallons of water! I have a list of things that "need" to be done which I will get through in the evenings to keep me busy....
    Best of luck to the rest of ye!

yes excellent work i reckon! One thing that im looking forward to is when giving up is not on my mind twenty four hours a day! I really feel this time will work for me, feeling very motivated! Sleep still has not improved but hopefully soon it will get better. Going out on friday for dinner and drinks which will be a big test but i reckon i will be fine.

Had a lovely nights sleep last night! Yeah feeling on top form toaday :) Hope you do it too this time. Think : I deserve to be healthy and smoke free - health money etc. works for me.
    Maybe take it easy on drink, I dont believe all that it is ok to have one when your out!- but whatever works for you. The drunker you get more urge and less control you have either way fair play:)

Silver33 wrote: »
    hi to all those who are ahead of me! Well done.. i hope I get to the stage you are at.. I quit last night.. I had my last cigarette as Anne Boleyn was getting executed on The Tudors! :D
    Feel okay today... first day and all that.. all motivated.. stocked up on gum and mints.. getting liquorice later.. running to loo - drinking gallons of water! I have a list of things that "need" to be done which I will get through in the evenings to keep me busy....
    Best of luck to the rest of ye!

Excellent anallogy - that how ya spell it?!
    Fair play first couple of days will be most difficult
    I am off them 1 week 6 days 46 mins
    have not smoked 268 Cigs
    and added 22 hours to my life oh and 102 euros to my life!:D

Check out stopsmoking.ie and will give you updated info when feeling the need!!
    268 smokes unsmoked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

i cant sleep or can i go a ways work not smoking without ripping someones head off.. dunno how u guys can do it ;)

nuxxx wrote: »
    i cant sleep or can i go a ways work not smoking without ripping someones head off.. dunno how u guys can do it ;)

Know what you mean Nuxxx... I've quit before and felt like the devil incarnate.. day one and already I am feeling like a briar.. I know this will get worse. I've warned people who will be close to me - either bare with me or I will need to keep away from them when feeling particularly "snipey" or eventually they'll stay away from me due to fear!!! ;)
    Whats keeping me going is that if this anger, temper, rage, tears, etc gets very bad I will go to the doctor - and ask for something to "ease" the edge off me.. if it means a mild type of anti depressant then so be it... I'll try it... I can do the cigarette thing - its the mental emotional feelings that I find are particularly hard to deal with! And to grab the bull by its horns I am having wine tonight.... not getting into habit of avoiding drink. Might as well get on with it. Will sit as usual watching tv, glass wine but NO fags... :o

Silver33 wrote: »
    Know what you mean Nuxxx... I've quit before and felt like the devil incarnate.. day one and already I am feeling like a briar.. I know this will get worse. I've warned people who will be close to me - either bare with me or I will need to keep away from them when feeling particularly "snipey" or eventually they'll stay away from me due to fear!!! ;)
    Whats keeping me going is that if this anger, temper, rage, tears, etc gets very bad I will go to the doctor - and ask for something to "ease" the edge off me.. if it means a mild type of anti depressant then so be it... I'll try it... I can do the cigarette thing - its the mental emotional feelings that I find are particularly hard to deal with! And to grab the bull by its horns I am having wine tonight.... not getting into habit of avoiding drink. Might as well get on with it. Will sit as usual watching tv, glass wine but NO fags... :o

Best of luck with that - Takin a few deep breaths and mmmm mmm freah air is much better. My lungs have definately opened up a bit!

Really really really wanted a smoke today and was well - near - but knew would regret it and prob not even enjoy it!
    Its d emotional addiction got to escape. I cant say I ll never smoke again but will use all of my might and powers in hope I wont.
    Dirty, vile, smelly, evil expensive, wrinkle inducing, health mangling things

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Madra Sneachta

Knocking on the door of two months now, on the lowest strength of patch and using the inhaler a few times a week during the iffy times (which are becoming fewer and further between).

The weaning begins in just under two weeks, but I'm feeling far better prepared. I know Allen Carr always poo-pooed the habit side of smoking, but I always found it a major factor, and I feel a lot stronger in myself now that I'm not lighting fags on cue in the car, on work breaks etc.

Keeping a quit counter on the PC is a great boost at times, mine now reads

I have been quit for 1 Month, 4 Weeks, 1 Day, 2 hours, 17 minutes and 23 seconds (59 days). I have saved €524.75 by not smoking 1,418 cigarettes. I have saved 4 Days, 22 hours and 10 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 03/08/2008 23:59

€524.75:eek:

Advertisement