Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prog/Folk/Kraut Rock Time Sigs??

• 12-08-2008 4:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have here a sample from a (most amazing) prog-rock style song:
    http://www.condraonline.com/files/memman.mp3

Im trying to figure the time sig.

Is it 7/8 ?

I think it might change during the chorus, or maybe not.

I can almost count it but my stupid brain keeps thinking in 4/4 so I lose track now and then.
    Also, playing along, or trying to tap out the rhythm is quite difficult for me.
    Perhaps I should divide it up in my head into smaller sections or something. ugh *SIGH*
    Im trying to think how one would program this with midi, but I reckon it is probably best just played live and recorded, unfortunatly.

I know little about time sigs and drums in general so please go easy on me.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭TheBandit

It's 7/8 alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

one-two-three-four-five-six-sev

Count that along to the song from the start of each bar, in 8th note subdivisions. Don't say "seven" because that has two syllables and you'll most likely count se-ven as two beats.

I made an mp3 with a click track. At first all 7 beats are counted with the accent on "one". Then just the quarter notes, then you can get the feel for 7/8. Counted as one-two-three-fourone-two-three-four

http://www.zshare.net/audio/17040196a1acf5e6/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Kool stuff! Thanks for doing that.

I was also advised elsewhere to count in 4+3 or 3+4 and it is really helping me get used to it.

Advertisement