Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

February 29th - We fell for it again

Options
  • 12-08-2008 8:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

How many of us noticed an extra day's pay in our bank accounts for working on the 29th February last???? Safe bet to say very, very few of us, if any. So the employers get a free day's work out of us while we lose a day out of our lives every four years. So get over it I hear you say. Well, if losing a day out of my life working at a boring assed job for nothing on the 29th February isn't bad enough, I got a letter from my mortgage provider stating that due to an oversight on their part, they "forgot" to charge me an extra day's interest on my mortgage for the 29th February. And if I don't agree to this, they will add it to the capital sum of the mortgage and the accrued interest will rack up. WTF????:mad::mad:

So not only do I get screwed having to work for free on the 29th February but I have to pay interest on my mortgage for that day too????? If that isn't a double whammy, I don't know what is. So in my case, I'm taking a sicky whenever the 29th February falls on a work day from now on. What can the boss do? I'm not getting paid for that day so why should I work. In fact, why doesn't everyone take a sicky or at least demand a day's pay/extra day's holiday or even make it a bank holiday.

Rant over. Have a nice day ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

It's August, get over it.

Depending on whether you're an optimist or a pessimist, you can look at it the other way. There's 2/3 less days in February yet you get a full months wages, the same as you do every month (if you're paid an annual salary, divided by 12 which a lot of people are). Therefore work pays you extra for days you didn't do. Therefore work aren't getting a free day out of you on the 29th Feb. I believe I put this point across in the many other threads about this that cropped up last February.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Maybe next time around you should take a sickie!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Take a sick day or actually rant about this during February or March when people will actually somewhat care as opposed to August!
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭rameire

and what about the possible 1 to 16 days sick you pull a year, do you refund your work for the days you are not in.
    seriously, some people have nothing to do but moan,
    plus you have a mortgage they charge you interest every day,
    suppose you would like them to only charge you interest on weekdays and not on bank holidays or public holidays.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I get paid bi-weekly, so it didn't make any difference to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I don't take sickies as a rule - the last one was 3 years ago when I had gastro so I don't abuse the Boss's payroll. As for taking up to 16 days sick a year, who would get away with that? Is it someone you know????

As for bringing this up in August, I only got the letter from my bank yesterday due to their "oversight". Its still an extra day's interest to pay on the one hand while on the other, I got no extra pay. Just strikes me as being unfair or maybe I'm the unfair one denying the poor bank the money. Hell they're probably down to their last couple of million profit per day:rolleyes:

As for "having nothing better to do than moan", yeah you're probably right. Why wouldn't I prefer to be in work, not getting paid for it, paying an extra days interest on the mortgage when I could be wasting my time at home with my wife and kids. You know what, you sound like an employer yourself and not one of the downtrodden masses :p:D:D

And to the optimist who thinks that we get away without doing a day's work for 3 out of every 4 years, I have to admit you really do see the sunny side of life - fair play to you ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

WTF....,
    What happened to the last 6 months.....,

I know I drank a lot of Wodka over that I thought was last weekend but now you're telling me I lost 6 months of my LIFE?!?!
    How many of us noticed an extra day's pay in our bank accounts for working on the 29th February last???? Safe bet to say very, very few of us, if any. So the employers get a free day's work out of us while we lose a day out of our lives every four years. So get over it I hear you say. Well, if losing a day out of my life working at a boring assed job for nothing on the 29th February isn't bad enough, I got a letter from my mortgage provider stating that due to an oversight on their part, they "forgot" to charge me an extra day's interest on my mortgage for the 29th February. And if I don't agree to this, they will add it to the capital sum of the mortgage and the accrued interest will rack up. WTF????:mad::mad:

So not only do I get screwed having to work for free on the 29th February but I have to pay interest on my mortgage for that day too????? If that isn't a double whammy, I don't know what is. So in my case, I'm taking a sicky whenever the 29th February falls on a work day from now on. What can the boss do? I'm not getting paid for that day so why should I work. In fact, why doesn't everyone take a sicky or at least demand a day's pay/extra day's holiday or even make it a bank holiday.

Rant over. Have a nice day ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

BOFH_139 wrote: »
    WTF....,
    What happened to the last 6 months.....,

I know I drank a lot of Wodka over that I thought was last weekend but now you're telling me I lost 6 months of my LIFE?!?!

The last 6 months were a bad dream - the economy is flying, the celtic tiger is roaring, house prices are still increasing and we're all getting a tax reduction and a payrise this week :p:p:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Not this bull**** again.

Every year, your employer pays you for a 365.25-day year. Yet you're only available to work 365 days, therefore you're screwing your employer out of .25 days per year.

Every four years, it's payback.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

seamus wrote: »
    Not this bull**** again.

Every year, your employer pays you for a 365.25-day year. Yet you're only available to work 365 days, therefore you're screwing your employer out of .25 days per year.

There's only one way around this so you can screw your employer out of 1 day every 4 years, take one sick day every 4 years = sorted :pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

If you've a problem with it become a contractor, they bill per hour. Although if your sick or take holidays you get f*ck all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

seamus wrote: »
    Not this bull**** again.

Well said Seamus, was about to post this.
    I listened to constant moaning about this back in February and March (usually the women in the office) but you've explained it exactly.

It all works out in the end :)

Anyway, if it's an issue for you OP, why are you raising it 6 months later?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

He just got a letter from his bank about unpaid interest for that day.

Mountain. Molehill.

Time for a coffee...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Did you get good friday off?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

I bet if you look at your contract it says something like you get paid XXX per annum payable in equal installments each month...so its not you company that is screwing you out of a days pay...its God...he created the universe..and determined that the earth would take a little more than 365 days to orbit the sun...so its his fault that you have that extra day to work every 4 years...not your company's. they are paying you as per your contract!

As for your mortgage...read the small print..if they dont mention anything about leap years you can challenge their charge...if they do then just pay it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Mods, please delete this thread before my boss discovers that he should be taking a days pay off me for April, June, September and November.

Advertisement