Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clamped

Options
  • 12-08-2008 8:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭

Ok so got clamped (w00t :mad:) but the poxy sticker is impossible to get off. Surely there's something that will remove it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The clampers should take it off, otherwise they're leaving your vehicle in a condition that compromises your safety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

You poor bast*rd, the scourge of the earth those clampers are.

You need to wait until the clamping man gets there they are required to remove it, as long as you have not interferred with it.
    If you've torn at it they won't touch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

Try using Mr Muscle window cleaner. Spray plenty on and leave it to soak in for 2-3 mins and then use kitchen towel to rub it off- should work but then again Ive never used it on a clampers sticker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I have been advised in the past that baby wipes will do the job.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

White spirit is your best bet for removing label adhesive.
    Saturate the label with it and leave for a while, it will then come off fairly handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

cabrwab wrote: »
    You poor bast*rd, the scourge of the earth those clampers are.

Never understood that mentality. If you park somewhere you shouldn't or not pay for your parking then you deserve it. Too many times I've sat in a lane of non-moving traffic becuase someone decieded "I'll only be a minute" and sticks on the hazard lights.

Back on topic, the clampers should have removed it but you can also let it soak in soapy water for about 5 mins then peel it off slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

WD40 is supposed to be good for that too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Thanks lads. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭mikewest

Is it here or in the UK that this is classified as criminal damage, i.e. placing an impossible to remove sticker on your car ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

What i mean is, if i park wrong, a ticket is good, clamping is causing more of an obstruction as you can't move no?

I was clamped as a was unloading a van, in a loading bay, the van was full, i was in and out with the stuff, i was clamped because i was there for 35mins, 5mins over the limit.

Then when they came out to take the clamp off, they wouldn't remove the sticker because i ripped it slightly letting the window down, it was my problem now. although there sticker was obstrucing my view.

So IMO clamping is the scourge of the earth! I think it is hostage taking :D, with a ticket, you paid up but could drive off...

But iam a mere mortal, who makes mistakes sometimes.
    Ive never held you up or anybody ese in traffic, i don't agree with the ol'slap on the hazards park anywere routine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Shazbot wrote: »
    Never understood that mentality. If you park somewhere you shouldn't or not pay for your parking then you deserve it. Too many times I've sat in a lane of non-moving traffic becuase someone decieded "I'll only be a minute" and sticks on the hazard lights.

There's a world of difference between parking in a clearway/bus lane/whatever and being clamped because you were 5 minutes late getting to your car/got stuck in a meeting.

I got clamped on Ashfield Rd. in Ranelagh a few years back while I was walking up to get the ticket! Seriously, there is one ticket machine on the whole road, and I was parked at the opposite end. By the time I walked up, got the ticket and walked back to my car, the clampers had arrived and were clamping me. I explained the situation but because the clamp was physically on my car, they wouldn't remove it. I appealed it to the company and (eventually) got my money back, but it just goes to show you that not all clampees are selfish, traffic-blocking so-and-so's...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

cabrwab wrote: »
    What i mean is, if i park wrong, a ticket is good, clamping is causing more of an obstruction as you can't move no?

It's a deterrent, a punishment. All the associated hassle is much worse than a few bob for a ticket, so you'll think twice before parking illegally again.

In theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Shazbot, you think the best option in a non-moving lane of traffic is to immobilise the obstruction? Thank God you don't work in any traffic management authority. Why would an 80 fine not suffice instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

cabrwab, just ignore people who come in on high horses. It always sucks to be clamped , especially in your case.

As for the sticker.. does your insurance policy have windscreen cover? :D;)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,511 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Ive had a few the stickers stuck on (parking in a business park in the right spaces, but dont recognise the car as an employees :rolleyes:)

I get a flat blade and work down from the corners. Takes about 10 mins, but it does come off. Try and do it when its warmer out as it doesnt stick as much then.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

Shazbot, you think the best option in a non-moving lane of traffic is to immobilise the obstruction? Thank God you don't work in any traffic management authority. Why would an 80 fine not suffice instead?

Of course not, it was merely an example. Also why I mentioned people who are just popping into the shop for "a minute" etc. A fine is more than enough but my point was is that people who think parking anywhere they want and getting clamped deserve it and should stop whinging about clampers. The point of clamps is to teach people a lesson, will you really try it again if you have to pay the fine and are stuck in your car for over an hour waiting on them to remove the clamp? No, you won't.
    I got clamped on Ashfield Rd. in Ranelagh a few years back while I was walking up to get the ticket! Seriously, there is one ticket machine on the whole road, and I was parked at the opposite end. By the time I walked up, got the ticket and walked back to my car, the clampers had arrived and were clamping me. I explained the situation but because the clamp was physically on my car, they wouldn't remove it. I appealed it to the company and (eventually) got my money back, but it just goes to show you that not all clampees are selfish, traffic-blocking so-and-so's...

That's a harsh situation, I know clampers do themselves no favors by being stuborn in these types of situations. Nice to see you got your money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Pretty sure someone putting crap on your car is littering, and can be fined. for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

the_syco wrote: »
    Pretty sure someone putting crap on your car is littering, and can be fined. for it.

Would you rather they put nothing on and you tried to take off with the clamp on?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Stekelly wrote: »
    Would you rather they put nothing on and you tried to take off with the clamp on?
    Sorry, I meant the stickers that they put on, put you can't take off. Think it's treated the same as the leafelets being put under your window wiper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

They obviously have to put some sort of notice on the window, but putting a sticker on that's so big and hard to take off is pure wankerism. If that's not a word, it should be.

• Advertisement
Advertisement