Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog found - What to do.....

Options
  • 12-08-2008 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

I found a dog last night in the Celbridge area. I think she is a lab/collie cross and is probably 5 or 6+. She is very friendly and I think is an indoor dog as she can open doors! I have contacted the Guards but she has not been reported lost. I am bringing her to the vet now to see if she has a chip but I dont hold out much hope. I will be doing up posters when I get back and will post a photo up here then too.

Anyway, my question is what will I do with her? We cant really keep her here for very long as we have our own dog and she is not very happy with this "intruder" and so we are keeping them seperated but this is quite difficult.

So, any ideas......?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Hiya, don't hand her into the pound if it can be avoided as chances are she will be PTS. All you can do is get a list of shelters and call them, see if any of them can take her. Also some "dog found" posters in case someone is out looking for her. Lastly leave a description of her with the local vets/pounds/rescues etc

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Chiron

Hi Helena, thanks for that but I think I have found her owner! I brought her to see if she had a chip and a dog fitting her description had been reported missing to the vet. I called the number and left a voicemail so fingers crossed.......

I really didnt want to bring her to the pound as I knew her days would be numbered there so I called a couple of rescues but they are all full and/or flooded. It really is a sorry state of affairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Well done! If by any sad chance it's not her owner, photograph her and make a Found poster with a description, place and date found, and phone number and the photo, and email it or drop it in to Garda stations, schools and vets, as well as putting it up on local crossroads and traffic islands.

Another good place is the irishanimals.com site, which has local sites for lost and found.

Well, unfortunately that was a false alarm so we are back at square one. My problem is we really cant keep her for very much longer and there is no room at any of the inns......

We will be doing the poster thing asap but dont hold out much hope as she isnt chipped and hasnt been reported lost so whoever did lose her isnt making much of an effort to find her and in the meantime we dont know what to do with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

Regardless of the rescues being full, make sure you give them all the details and a pic just in case they are contacted by the owner, also keep in contact with them particularly your spca so if a space opens up for a dog you will know, also is there a local radiostation that does lost and found?

• Advertisement

Once again thanks for the replies/suggestions but I am happy to report that she is back home where she belongs. \o/ I got a call from the Guards who hooked me up with her owner and he picked her up 5 minutes later.

Nice to see a happy ending! :D

Advertisement