Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Twin-clutch autos?

Options
  • 12-08-2008 10:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭

superjosh9 wrote: »
    I don't believe that the Powershift will offer better MPG/C02 than the standard manual - it's just that it is a lot better than a standard torque-converted based auto.

VAGs DSG twin-clutch scores better CO2 test results than the manual, too.

Can anyone who's driven one of these new autos for a decent length of time tell us if they really deliver these mpg results in the real world?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

Zube wrote: »
    Can anyone who's driven one of these new autos for a decent length of time tell us if they really deliver these mpg results in the real world?

I'd be interested to hear thoughts also - I've only read/spoke to dealers about them. Any DSG drivers here?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

I have a VW Golf with DSG on order, for delivery in early October. I was well impressed with the DSG transmission during the test drive. I don't know how much of a real improvement they offer in terms of consumption, but for the 122bhp TSI engine adding the DSG is enough to drop it into the next lower VRT and Road Tax band.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Been driving an Octavia 1.9 TDI DSG for the last 2 years.
    Fuel consumption is ok [ I can get up to 900kms out of a full tank 55L ]

C02 emissions are higher [ don't know why ] with the DSG compared to the same engine with a manual transmission

Vico1612 wrote: »
    Been driving an Octavia 1.9 TDI DSG for the last 2 years.
    Fuel consumption is ok [ I can get up to 900kms out of a full tank 55L ]

C02 emissions are higher [ don't know why ] with the DSG compared to the same engine with a manual transmission

that kind of economy makes me want to cry - I have an old 940 Volvo that for a €90 fill, returns about 250 miles...

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

that kind of economy makes me want to cry - I have an old 940 Volvo that for a €90 fill, returns about 250 miles...

Well should have added that I get that if I drive nice and easy ...
    If I drive like a pig, it goes down to 750/800 kms :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

many taxi drivers use them higher spec autos... , they say 35 mpg isnt a problem... :|

the fact that they can afford them alone is proof that they wont be hit by the resession or are makin too much money :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

The figures say DSG normally drop fuel consumption or it stays the same. I'd expect that you'll get a reduction in MPG by virtue that the DSG encourages you to drive harder - it's a great gearbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 dexterfletcher

I have a VW GTI DSG and it gives me about 600k for a full tank. I'm only judging this from the range the car gives me when I fill up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'd be interested to hear thoughts also - I've only read/spoke to dealers about them. Any DSG drivers here?

Although it's been a while since I filled it to the brim (last time at recent prices cost me €95! :eek:) and checked it, if I remember right, my 2006 2.0 TDI 140Bhp DSG Passat does about 1100 km/680 miles to a full tank. Most of my driving is on N/M roads though which probably makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Zube wrote: »
    VAGs DSG twin-clutch scores better CO2 test results than the manual, too.

Unfortunately not always

http://www.carzone.ie/new-cars/Skoda/Octavia/1.9-TDI-DSG-AMBIENTE/75976420080701/technical/

http://www.carzone.ie/new-cars/Skoda/Octavia/1.9-TDI-AMBIENTE/35476020080701/technical/

The manual puts out 130g/km whereas the DSG puts out 156g/km

I assume its the same for other VAG cars with that engine. It should be noted, though, that this combination was put together back in 2004 when the Mk5 golf was launched.There should have been some advances since then.I would expect the next gen DSG's in the Mk6 golf diesels(110, 140 and 170bhp 2.0 CR TDI) will at least match the manuals for CO2 emissions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭frag4

I too have a gti dsg and get 600kms (30 mpg)on a full tank at 60mph.
    can get 35mpg going downhill with the wind behind me, which hits VW stated figures.
    when breaking in the engine and gearbox 20mpg was the norm.
    If buying second hand and it has no warranty a gearbox failure will cost 1000sss of euro in repairs or replacement,
    On a happy note the box is brilliant and i love it

so, as I suspected - mpg, C02 - better than normal auto, but still worse than manual - in the real world I mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

S.I.R wrote: »
    many taxi drivers use them higher spec autos... , they say 35 mpg isnt a problem... :|

the fact that they can afford them alone is proof that they wont be hit by the resession or are makin too much money :rolleyes:

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

The complete opposite is true, with more job lay offs and rendunceys there'll be more Skoda's on the road to shake a stick at.

Volvoboy wrote: »
    :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

The complete opposite is true, with more job lay offs and rendunceys there'll be more Skoda's on the road to shake a stick at.

yeh - but if you're a taxi driver - a skoda diesel - its really the perfect fit isn't it? (assuming not going mpv route)

Advertisement