Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Student Entitlements

Options
  • 12-08-2008 10:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this has been answered before, I'm a 24 year old looking to do a year long course in Applied Social Studies and I'm wondering what I would qualify for under the grant scheme. I'm currently in full time employment, but my earnings are quite low so I feel that if I don't go back to study now I never will. However, I don't want to find myself in a position where I cant afford to live!

I've had a look on the student finance website, but I'm not sure what applies to me. Sorry for my stupidity :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

Thanks syco, I had a look through that thread but the My Grant website isn't functioning any longer and I can't determine from the Sudent Finance site which grant rate I'd qualify for. I think I need to have been in receipt of some form of social welfare payment last year to qulaify for the top rate, I wasn't so does taht mean I'd only qualify for a maximum of €3,420? And if so is there any other payments I'd be entitled to? Also how is the grant paid - weekly/monthly over the 8 or 9 months of the course?

Sorry if this has been answered before

Not at all, new threads are welcome!
    I'm a 24 year old looking to do a year long course in Applied Social Studies and I'm wondering what I would qualify for under the grant scheme. I'm currently in full time employment, but my earnings are quite low so I feel that if I don't go back to study now I never will. However, I don't want to find myself in a position where I cant afford to live!

I've had a look on the student finance website, but I'm not sure what applies to me. Sorry for my stupidity :o

If you go from being in a full-time job to leaving it, your income would be assessed under a 'change in circumstances' which basically means that your income would be 0 or whatever you're earning post the leaving of your job. So if you're going to be a mature student and are eligible for a grant, then you would be automatically entitled to the 'Adjacant Rate' which you'll see goes from around €3,000 to €900, compared to the 'Non-adjacent which is much lower.

To be eligible you've to satisfy residency requirements, income requirements, age requirements etc.
    Thanks syco, I had a look through that thread but the My Grant website isn't functioning any longer and I can't determine from the Sudent Finance site which grant rate I'd qualify for. I think I need to have been in receipt of some form of social welfare payment last year to qulaify for the top rate, I wasn't so does taht mean I'd only qualify for a maximum of €3,420? And if so is there any other payments I'd be entitled to? Also how is the grant paid - weekly/monthly over the 8 or 9 months of the course?

Yeah sorry about that. I set MyGrant.ie up before StudentFinance.ie and since the whole point I set it up was because I wanted one clear place for people to go to if they've a question it didn't make sense for MyGrant.ie to exist - but I've yet to remove some of the links from the threads I've posted on here. So again, my apologies for the confusion.

You're right about the top-up grant being limited to if you were receiving some form of social welfare payment, yeah. So that amount would be the max. The grant is generally paid in three lump sums, although for PLC courses I've just recently read that they are paid on a monthly basis over the timeframe of the course.

As for any other payments there are some links in my signature and also some at the top of the page of StudentFinance.ie.

Advertisement