Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Organising a seondary school reunion

• 12-08-2008 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where to get a detailed guide to the above? I've looked on eHow.com but it seems to be geared towards an American market.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Why on earth would you want to organise a school reunion......

There is a reason you NEVER see or talk to any of the people you went to school with.... And if there somehow happen to be a few you are still friend with why not just call then and head to the pub?!!?

Edit:

Yorky: Do not make any more post since your Post count will change from 486 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

BOFH_139 wrote: »

There is a reason you NEVER see or talk to any of the people you went to school with.... And if there somehow happen to be a few you are still friend with why not just call then and head to the pub?!!?

Although I wouldn't put it like BOFH did he is 100% correct, the ones you made the effort to stay in contact with you did that for a reason the rest you don't talk to any more is also for a good reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

so you could laugh at teh other feckers maybe? I know i wouldnt bother my arse turning up to anything like this

Was that not what bebo was made for?
    dade wrote: »
    so you could laugh at teh other feckers maybe? I know i wouldnt bother my arse turning up to anything like this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

What happens if they are all more successful than you? Or they still have their young good looks?
    How are you going to feel then?

Bad idea, most people really dont care too much, thats why they lost contact in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

this be true but it's more fun to laugh in their faces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Yorky wrote: »
    Organising a seondary school reunion

Does anyone know where to get a detailed guide to the above? I've looked on eHow.com but it seems to be geared towards an American market.

She married the sporty, handsome b*stard. It was 20 years ago. Let it go, mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

don't the relevant schools actually do this type of thing themselves, say for 5/10 year anniversarys.

I varguely recall seeing some flyers from my old school, advertising a class of 2000/1 reunion shindig.

as others have said though, can't say I'd be all that interested in seeing them again, I've come across a few on bebo, so I know some things. :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I wasn't directly involved in the organising but I have attended both my 10th and 20th school reunions. We were a class of 153.
    For the tenth reunion, most people's parents were still at the original addresses from school time and those that weren't were contacted by friends of friends. We managed to contact everyone that was still alive.

For the twentieth we had to rely more on the friends network as parents had moved or died in many cases. Since we were a girls' school, some of those who were married were not using their own names anymore. Nonetheless, we had a bigger attendance at the 20th than the 10th as reports of the 10th had spread.

Our 30th will be coming soon.

In terms of the organisation of the night, people who were coming had to pay in advance (it wasn't a lot) and the organisers booked a hotel function room (10th) and a tennis club (20th). A salad buffet was on offer at the 10th and a huge pot of chicken curry and rice for the 20th. We didn't bring partners to the reunions and both nights were a huge success.

At the 10th a lot of people were still right up themselves and trying to impress with what they were working at, driving etc. At the 20th, life and deaths and disappointments and marriage break-ups had happened and most people were much nicer human beings.

I'm looking forward to the 30th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

One of these was planned for my old class this year and it fell flat on its arse. Very few people would care for it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭Go-Go-Gadget

ask the school to contact them for you or give you details.

It would be a break of the "Data Protection Act" if they were to give that information out.
    ask the school to contact them for you or give you details.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭Go-Go-Gadget

It would be a break of the "Data Protection Act" if they were to give that information out.

Then could he give them stamped envelopes with letters inside to be sent to the class by the school?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭gabigeist

I came across this one earlier in the year whilst researching for our own one. This is the rolls royce option

http://www.rockunion.ie/view-news.php?news_id=45

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Then could he give them stamped envelopes with letters inside to be sent to the class by the school?
    That's what they did for our first one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Yorky wrote: »
    Does anyone know where to get a detailed guide to the above?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120032/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Edit:

Yorky: Do not make any more post since your Post count will change from 486 ;)

The person organising it usually has done very well for themselves and wants to swan it around. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

you start by spelling "seondary" this way -> secondary

that way you can impress your former school mates at your ability to spell correctly, thus showing them you did indeed learn something in school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

It would be all about one up manship and boasting they are a partner in some boring accountancy firm or solicitor practice and have a great car and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Plus half the ***** bullied me and make my life hell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

The zombie, it mustbe killed!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

Derek Trotter and his mates once went to a high school reunion and look how that turned out for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Unless you're going to show up in a French Foreign Legion uniform covered in medals with some interesting scars then school reunions should be avoided. Who wants to be in a room with a bunch of people you haven't spoken to in 20 years who now have much more successful lives than you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Hahahahahahaha

Oh Past, how you make me laugh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

What is with all the ancient threads being reopened today??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

You could organise it and have it in your old school.but the night before, lace the place with explosives timed to go off on the night and conveniently don't show up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I agree with the poster who said you are in contact with people who mattered, and you aren't in contact with the people who didn't.

I would never go to a school reunion.
    I often see people from my old school and have to avoid eye contact!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭rednik

Grosse Point Blank now that was a reunion.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Zombie thread shot repeatedly in the face.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement