Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pub selling multipacks bottles of beer

Options
  • 12-08-2008 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭

Was in a pub after work last friday and we noticed that the pub we were in was selling multipacks bottles of beer you buy in Tesco's etc and not the bottles the buy direct from the breweries.

Question is would you report the pub to the brewery.

The pub isn't a small pub either.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

There is a chance the supplier ran out of creates of single bottles and instead shipped them a create of multi packs.

No point loosing out in a sales.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

there's also a chance shakira is about to enter my room and sit on my lap.
    Op, did the pub charge less for teh multi pack beer? if not, report them. bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Got accused of doing this one night in work, was restocking the Corona but what the guy accusing me didn't realise is that is the way to corona box is stocked, 4 6packs in a cardboard box. And winters is right all depends on the supplier, probably just ran out of the regular crates. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

happens all over OP.

I remember when tesco/dunnes were selling the cases of miller 24 for 17e or summet dirt cheap like that, a place back home bought a pallet of the stuff cos it was cheaper than their supplier could offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Dunno, very likely the bought them to save money. Was talking about this to bar manager friend a few weeks ago. Tesco and dunnes etc sometimes do specials where the sell the booze at less than cnc etc. because they figure if you go in to buy drink you'll buy groceries too..
    One bar actually tried to buy a pallete load around that time :)

• Advertisement

Pub owners do this a lot. A pub land lord near me goes to dunnes stores everytime they have miller/bud/corona reduced and cleans the place out. He's paying less than a euro a bottle and sells it on at over four euros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

kaimera wrote: »
    happens all over OP.

I remember when tesco/dunnes were selling the cases of miller 24 for 17e or summet dirt cheap like that, a place back home bought a pallet of the stuff cos it was cheaper than their supplier could offer.

also will be paid for in cash so more than likely wont go through the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

My local shop used to do the same thing with multipacks of skips and meanies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Most of the major retails do this will all kinds of products.

I know of Dunnes buys in LOTS of cheap grey-box {products not meant to be sold in this country}, a few years ago at XMas they got Celebration tins and demanding that MasterFoods merchandise it for them even though they did not buy them off them.....
    javaboy wrote: »
    My local shop used to do the same thing with multipacks of skips and meanies.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,920 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

My local shop does it with everything from lucozade sport to hunky dory's. Every second item you pick up in the shop is multipack. and normally i wouldn't mind but when it comes to crisps and the like the multipack bags are generally smaller The Bastid!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Check the bottle. If it was part of a supermarket multi-pack then it will have "Not for individual resale" or something along those lines printed on the label. If this is the case, I would definitely report them to the brewery.

If there's nothing like that on the label, then chances are they just came supplied like that from the brewery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

AFAIK, It is not illegal to resell stock once like stated above it doesn't have the marking on it saying not for resale or not for individual sale. Its perfectly legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,920 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Charging us VAT on something thats already been charge VAT on is double taxation and is highly illegal. It is also in contradiction of pub licencing laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Charging us VAT on something thats already been charge VAT on is double taxation and is highly illegal. It is also in contradiction of pub licencing laws.

As mentioned earlier, if a publican is buying up bulk amounts of cut price drink in Dunnes/Tesco, they might not be putting the sales on the books at all. So they might be charging you the same price as the VAT inclusive booze but they will not be paying the taxman. So it's not double taxation, just healthy fraud. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Pubs don't get bottles from breweries. As for reporting the pub to the brewery, they don't own the pub and they're not the government. Pubs have no responsibility to a brewery. Also some bottles such as Corona and Bud Light that you get in pubs are the same as the bottles you get in an off-licence so I wouldn't read too much into it.

Off licence bottles of bud are usually 300ml as opposed to the 330ml in pubs.So if you paid full price for these then you are being screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

The vat will only ever be paid once by the customer at the end as the shop the buys the stock will claim it back!

Vat is only ever paid at the end of the supply chain generally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 SavageParrot

irlmarc wrote: »
    The vat will only ever be paid once by the customer at the end as the shop the buys the stock will claim it back!

Vat is only ever paid at the end of the supply chain generally

Yep, if the landlord of the pub is buying the bottles with cash and not putting it through his books the only person he is screwing is himself as he would be entitled to claim back the VAT he was himself paying when he bought the bottles from the supermarket.

It's not illegal to resell multipack bottles, even if they are labelled as not for resale. It would only become illegal if you were falsly advertising the bottles as being of a bigger size or type(i.e. putting up posters that said the bottles were 330ml and then selling 300ml). Sometimes the bottles themselves may be printed with information that only applies to the whole of the multipack, in that case you would have to separately display the correct information for the individual bottle and make clear that the information on the bottle is not correct.

If the pub is owned by a brewery it may have specific agreements in place and internal codes of practice that could result in them feeling like they'd need to take action but I doubt any brewery would care where the pub gets bottles from unless they themselves are making the bottles. As for annoying the suppliers, if they are offering you a cost price that is higher than retail prices elsewhere you probably don't have the best relationship with them anyway...

Caveat Emptor. No-one is forcing you to buy the bottles, stop being so soft and order a proper pint...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Caveat Emptor. No-one is forcing you to buy the bottles, stop being so soft and order a proper pint...

So what bar do you own then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

'So soft?' Ah, you judge your masculinity based on the volume of liquid you can ingest. How's that working out for you?

p.s Most pints taste like pi$$

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭madmik

Cianos wrote: »
    'So soft?' Ah, you judge your masculinity based on the volume of liquid you can ingest. How's that working out for you?

well then buy a pint bottle of some decent beer like erdinger,franciskaner,maiselweiss or schneider weiss

the big 3 beers sold in ireland are all pisss when u get them on tap,in bottles or cans

the reality of the stuation is if someone drives to newry and fills a van or jeep at english supermarkekt prices i doubt even the largest southern wholesalers could compete

theyre selling smirnoff for £9.99 a litre and accepting € for £ so a bottle of smirnoff costing €9.99 in sainsburys newry can somehow cost €22.99 in tescos dublin

these savings are all across the board so its just surprising more people arent doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

A thread about pubs ripping us off??

Shock! Horror!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 SavageParrot

Cianos wrote: »

It's got nothing to do with masculinity. It's just that complaining about the price of an already over-priced beverage is pointless. If you want the best value for money you buy draft pints, if you want to buy bottles then you pay more and get less, but in your head I suppose you look just like all the cool people on the adverts that drink bottled beer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,395 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Trampas wrote: »
    Was in a pub after work last friday and we noticed that the pub we were in was selling multipacks bottles of beer you buy in Tesco's etc and not the bottles the buy direct from the breweries.

Question is would you report the pub to the brewery.

The pub isn't a small pub either.

Was it in Cavan?

They are mean fcukers up there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭deleriumtremens

Whatever about multipack beer, I'd keep away from multi-pack cans of coke. They dont have as strong a taste and are far fizzier than the cans in the fridge. Also, I'd avoid the twin pack 2 litre bottles aswel. They are definately more watered down than the single 2 litre bottles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭YDMHSSB

i dont care where the beer comes from to be honest a long as its -

indate and tastes good.
    reasonably priced.

Whatever about multipack beer, I'd keep away from multi-pack cans of coke. They dont have as strong a taste and are far fizzier than the cans in the fridge. Also, I'd avoid the twin pack 2 litre bottles aswel. They are definately more watered down than the single 2 litre bottles.

i find that hard to believe

u think coke makes an extra watery version for sale in the twin packs ??

are u serious?

would it not just be retailers stocking up when these promotions are on and so possibly the cans are older ?

or the bottles taste more watery becasue theyre less carbonated at the bottom of a 2litre bottle?

or maybe the temperature coke is stored at has something to do with its condition

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

They can get VAT reciepts off Tesco so they don't pay VAT and hence no double taxation

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

They can get VAT reciepts off Tesco so they don't pay VAT and hence no double taxation

Yeah but if a publican get a VAT receipt from Tesco and furnishes it to the Revenue then they will know he is buying supermarket beer.
    If he doesn't let the revenue know then he can sell the beer and it is 'off the books' per se and he won't have to pay tax on his profits on it as the revenue never knew he had it in the first place.

Conversely the Revenue can audit his beer suppliers so they know exactly how much stock he bought throughout the year but they can't audit Tesco to find out because he is just one of a gazillion customers per year and Tesco dont know who he is, where he lives, etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement