Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Omnia

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

metalfest wrote: »
    well like, went onto the website, googled it for a bit.......seemed ok....
    went thru to some weird link........paid......
    .....status.....unpaid........emailed them threatening to sue ( lol ) ......
    crap......just checked , woah it says paid.....but they never charged me for shipping......
    we'll see....... here's hoping.......dream phone c'mon...
    i apologise for my remark, so far it has not been a scam..

That site is strange, where are the list of phones? Do they have the Omnia? I can't seem to find anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

Are you guys serious? That site has to be a scam. I really didnt think people ever actually bought from those kind of sites.

I hope it works out for you, but I'd be very surprised if you get anything to be honest and if you do it'll probably be a Chinese clone of some description. If you're spending that sort of money you're better off buying from somewhere reputable - Expansys etc, or just a seller with good feedback on Ebay (probably the best option in terms of price/security IMO).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

yeah...it was stupid......real stupid but sure....twas my christmas present to myself lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Saw the I900 in Vodafone store yesterday - looks cool but expensive on contract.

Great reviews here...

http://www.mobile-phones-uk.org.uk/samsung-omnia-i900.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

How much is it to buy on bill over here? I really want it but funds are low. Don't know how I will afford it.

Probably will not order from China - far too risky. Not worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,722 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

~ 600 quid sim free- is it worht it -

can you actually use the feature in the shop in town?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

www.handtec.co.uk. Got an Omnia from them for €400 sim free, delivered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,722 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

www.handtec.co.uk. Got an Omnia from them for €400 sim free, delivered.

would u recommend it - the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭confuzed

i baught one from vodafone. coool:D:P:D. an installed tom tom UK/Ireland on it but every time i run it keeps looking for valid GPS signal. Am i missing something. Would please anyone help me on that front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,315 ✭✭✭markpb

I think you need to install a com port splitter application to get it working, I came across references to it yesterday when looking for something else.

I got the phone for Christmas (as a present so I've no idea how much it cost). I'm still trying to decide how I feel about it. It's got some lovely features but some very irritating niggles. It's not as intuitive or as easy to use as the IPhone, the touch screen isn't very accurate, especially at the edges so typing can be a bit of a chore. Autocomplete is a bit mad too - lots of words have been added somehow (typing dad. results in www.) and the clear words button does nothing for no obvious reason. There are two menus / programs list for some reason, possibly Samsung trying to hide WinMobile.

It's not a bad phone though - it's a nice weight and size, the screen is great, it's topped with features and applications (although why it comes with both IE and Opera I'm not sure!) and it's quite responsive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

markpb wrote: »
    the touch screen isn't very accurate, especially at the edges so typing can be a bit of a chore

I found this also on mine, I reconfigured the touch screen and it is alot more accurate for me since then. go to settings, system and then screen there is an align screen function and set the bounderies. (I used the Stylus to set it to be as accurate as possible)

Hope this helps, its a great phone imo

Eóin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Darando

Anyone got the settings for Omnia MMS on O2 and where to go on the phone to enter them..texts are working just not MMS. Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,315 ✭✭✭markpb

I've had this phone for two months now and, unless I'm missing the point, it's got a lot of irritating little flaws.

- Sometimes the phone number of an incoming caller isn't displayed until after the call.

- If the phone is on silent and on a call, waiting calls aren't announced via the speaker

- If the phone is in ActiveSync mode, copying files across USB is painfully slow

- If a long text message arrives, the keyboard pops up and covers most of the text

- With 3G active, the battery life is pitiful. I couldn't understand why the phone died after just a few calls until I turned it off.

- If you change the keyboard (to keypad which is at least partially usable), it forgets this setting when you reboot.

- The touch screen is horrible to use compared to the IPodTouch. It seems to require a lot of force to get it to recognise a touch but somehow if I leave it unlocked alone in my pocket, it will make calls and go onto the internet (€123 GPRS connection :-()

- It might be a great media player but having to carry around the earphone adaptor puts me off totally.

- It reverts to the pre-2002 method of displaying waiting voicemails: a text message from 171

This could have been a great phone but it seems like they concentrated on the PDA and ignored the phone component.

Darando wrote: »
    Anyone got the settings for Omnia MMS on O2 and where to go on the phone to enter them..texts are working just not MMS. Cheers

You will need to set up a new connection under settings, connections, manage existing connections and then new.

enter a name, say 'o2 MMS' click next
    Access point: wap.dol.ie, click next
    user name: gprs
    Password:gprs
    and press finished.
    the user name and password can be left blank afaik. you will then need to select your internet settings as default rather than autopick so your internet works!

Next go to messaging and then MMS options.then the profile tab.
    select new profile.
    mms profile: any name say 'o2 picture message'
    mmsc: http://mmsc.mms.o2.ie:8002
    data connection: select the name you gave above (o2 MMS)
    gateway: wap2.0
    IP address: 62.40.32.40
    Port: 8080
    hit done

Hopefully that should do the trick for you! took me a bit of playing around to get it all working nicely! Let me know if its not working and i will check the settings more closely on my phone!

markpb wrote: »
    I've had this phone for two months now and, unless I'm missing the point, it's got a lot of irritating little flaws.

- Sometimes the phone number of an incoming caller isn't displayed until after the call.

- If the phone is on silent and on a call, waiting calls aren't announced via the speaker

- If the phone is in ActiveSync mode, copying files across USB is painfully slow

- If a long text message arrives, the keyboard pops up and covers most of the text

- With 3G active, the battery life is pitiful. I couldn't understand why the phone died after just a few calls until I turned it off.

- If you change the keyboard (to keypad which is at least partially usable), it forgets this setting when you reboot.

- The touch screen is horrible to use compared to the IPodTouch. It seems to require a lot of force to get it to recognise a touch but somehow if I leave it unlocked alone in my pocket, it will make calls and go onto the internet (€123 GPRS connection :-()

- It might be a great media player but having to carry around the earphone adaptor puts me off totally.

- It reverts to the pre-2002 method of displaying waiting voicemails: a text message from 171

This could have been a great phone but it seems like they concentrated on the PDA and ignored the phone component.

Sorry maybe you have an old firmware or something because the only thing out of that list is the voicemail one i have encountered!
    I did have to configure the touch screen once or twice til it operated the way i like it. and the keyboard has never reset upon turning it off and back on again for me.

the battery life for me is fine - i surf boards for a short bit each day if i am waiting for someone for example (maybe an hr each day!) and the battery lasts mon-fri usually for me sometimes less obviously if i am using it alot.

Sorry you don't like it, but i love the phone since i got it last september!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

I'll second that. You should upgrade the firmware. There are plenty of official versions and indeed custom roms available from modaco.com

I got my Omnia in October, and upgraded the ROM a week later. Haven't had to do it since, I've great battery life and none of the problems you mention.

Advertisement