Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD dubs HD 4870 X2 "world's fastest graphics card

Options
  • 12-08-2008 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭

Engadget story

crysis-1920-bar.jpg
    Looks like all the Cinema 2.0 fuss that AMD has been blustering about with its new RV770-based GPUs is fully warranted. The benchmarks are in and AMD's new $549 ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 -- what AMD calls the "world's fastest graphics card" -- is an out and out screamer, besting the best cooked up over at NVIDIA thanks to that RV770 GPU pair nuzzled up next to 2GB of GDDR5 memory. As noted by PC Perspective, the new champ, "is able to run away from NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 280 1GB card handily. Our various game tests proved this - Crysis, Call of Duty 4 and GRID showed big gains for AMD's new card at resolutions 2,048 x 1,536 and 2,560 x 1,600," though performance gains are less dramatic as resolutions drop to 1,600 x 1,200. Not that any self-respecting gamer would push so few pixels. CrossFireX performance was disappointing, however, as the systems didn't scale well when going from 2 to 4 GPUs. In fact, Crysis seemed to barely notice the additional CrossFireX horsepower, something that should be corrected with future driver releases. Make no mistake though, as power-hungry, expensive, and hot-running as the new HD 4870 X2 may be, it's a big day for AMD as it retakes the graphics crown from NVIDIA, as short-lived as this victory may be.

HotHardware
    PcPer
    TweakTown
    Custom Pc
    TechGage

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭alansweeney100

Custom pc are tracking the cheapest etailers
    ebuyer are the cheapest at the min, (do they ship to Eire?) they are still charging far more than the RRP I heard before release which which was $500
    to buy or not to buy........................

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Custom pc are tracking the cheapest etailers
    ebuyer are the cheapest at the min, (do they ship to Eire?) they are still charging far more than the RRP I heard before release which which was $500
    to buy or not to buy........................

Yeah i think ebuyer do ship to ireland , but i'd wait for the card to hit other stores like komplett , or Hardwareversand before buying , Overclockers and ebuyer usually have them first but gouge allot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

geek side of me says i should buy this, sensible side says no arghh

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

my inner child says I need a quadcore 8GB Ram 4870X2 beast with a Raptor drive..... my Wallet says no.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

very nice, is there going to be a GTX 280 x2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

MooseJam wrote: »
    very nice, is there going to be a GTX 280 x2

Nope, they're shrinking the die to 55nm

so it'll run cooler with less power but won't be more powerfull, probably most people would rather a more powerfull card than a die shrink

Will have higher clocks, slap some gddr5 on it and it just might beat the 4870x2. Jeez i love a good battle, this gpu war is great, they'd have sat forever without shrinking if Ati hadn't become competitive

Rumours that [URL="[url]http://www.techpowerup.com/65577/GT200b_Already_hit_Stores?.html[/url]"]this[/URL] is a new die shrink

OK, NVIDIA slips GTX 280 GX2 rumor, as of today. But I think they need the die shrink first. Imagine the heat :eek:

• Advertisement

how much would that cost 800 euro ?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

And it would probably suffer from more manufacturing errors. no, I'm letting my cousin be my nvidia guinea pig for the next few years, which is why i sent him off with the GTX :D

srsly though I told him about the 4870 but he wouldnt even consider ATI. Now the bitch is my guinea pig. So far he can only get the 260 up to 70 degrees but we're only 1 week into my 3 year experiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Dabs.ie ar selling the 4870X2 for €420.
    Overcockers are selling it for approx €130 euro dearer at least..the robbin bastards..

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭bubonicus

Dabs.ie ar selling the 4870X2 for €420.
    Overcockers are selling it for approx €130 euro dearer at least..the robbin bastards..

Can you link to the dabs.ie , I can't find them.

edit: actually I found it, but not in stock:(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Ordered off of Hardwareversand for 370, waiting on stock now. Lets see how it compares to two 2900xt's.

should trash em I'd say..
    The 2900Xt's weren't that great were they?
    It wasn't till the 3870's came out that ATI began to get back into the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

should trash em I'd say..
    The 2900Xt's weren't that great were they?
    It wasn't till the 3870's came out that ATI began to get back into the game.

i enjoyed my 2900xt , more or less 8800gts performance , but the Black Box from steam Sold it for me \0/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Definitely better then dual 2900XT, those cards weren't the worst or anything but they were pretty mediocre value for money in my opinion being so freakin inconsistent in a variety of games, the 2900Pro cards were better value. The Black box was a good offer though. I'm done with new cards right now anyway though, 8800GS Sli is still enough to run any game I'm playing right now at 1920x1200 high settings.....I decided not to give into the Crysis fad a long time ago, it's sitting unused on a shelf where it will continue to rest until Christmas I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

That and they are power hungry bastards. Try crossfire them in a 600watt power supply and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

papu wrote: »
    i enjoyed my 2900xt , more or less 8800gts performance , but the Black Box from steam Sold it for me \0/

+1

Was going to get an 8800 but decided the games were worth it, as really all I regularly play are Valve games anyway. I still use the 2900XT without any hitches whatsoever, but I think the 4870 is where I'll go next... I would go X2 but I can't justify the cost compared to what I'll be doing, especially since there'll probably be something new next year anyway that'll blow that out of the water...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

Overheal wrote: »
    my inner child says I need a quadcore 8GB Ram 4870X2 beast with a Raptor drive..... my Wallet says no.

lol know the feeling

Anyone know offhand if crossfire is enabled by default for this card?
    I know in SLI you still have to enable it but not sure bout x-fire.

ah yea its just the same as any single card , just pop it in and bobs your uncle

One thing about X-fire as I've found out.
    The master slot is the one furthest from the CPU.
    On my gigabtye board I have it in the nearest slot.
    Only for benchmarking did I notice that the 2nd gpu was disabled.
    Once I moved it to the furthest slot both gpu's worked fine.
    You can check it in PC Vantage..go to system info and the pc information.
    Under the DX column look for where it says linked graphics adatper.
    It should be true..mine was false when card was in the nearest slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭alansweeney100

Ordered off of Hardwareversand for 370, waiting on stock now. Lets see how it compares to two 2900xt's.

€370? I can't find one that cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

€370? I can't find one that cheap

Their postage is something like €30 or €35. So if that is total cost with postage then its very cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

One thing about X-fire as I've found out.
    The master slot is the one furthest from the CPU.
    On my gigabtye board I have it in the nearest slot.
    Only for benchmarking did I notice that the 2nd gpu was disabled.
    Once I moved it to the furthest slot both gpu's worked fine.
    You can check it in PC Vantage..go to system info and the pc information.
    Under the DX column look for where it says linked graphics adatper.
    It should be true..mine was false when card was in the nearest slot.

Have you got a link to where you read this? I recently got an intel chipset board and a 4870x2 but I have it in the slot nearest the CPU.

Was in the AMD forums. Some other user had the same problem as me and he resolved it by doing moving the card.
    Weird thing is now I've updated the drivers vantage is tell me i'm not running x-fire but on gpu-z i'm seeing both gpu ramp up and i'm getting the same benchmarks on cod4.
    Really weird.:confused:

Advertisement