Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elephant in the reeds

Options
  • 12-08-2008 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

does anyone know the story behind the elephant in the reeds by the train bridge in ferrycarrig.. i saw it a few weeks ago and was wondering
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Ha I don't know either.. I got a fright driving by there one day for a second..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭gamblitis

You saw an actual elephant? Or whats the story?

There is a statue of an elephant in the reeds by the Slaney.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭gamblitis

Hmmm never noticed that. Must have a look next time i'm passing. But i suppose its no more random that any other things on roadsides as of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

which road is it on, the one by the Rugby club or the main road?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

No idea what the story is with it tbh, i live nearby and one day it just kinda turned up, no one around seems to know how or who put it there! Strange, thought it was real the first time i cycled by, had to go back around!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭sam_mom1

and how come it hasnt been washed away yet, it doesnt look that sturdy...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

The water never rises that high, its fairly stuck in the reeds tbh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭capedcrustacian

huh? where is it? i'm goin homefor the weekend n lookin for stuff to keep me busy, might take a spin out there!!

• Advertisement

Any thing in The People about this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭capedcrustacian

tee he he, typical country bumpkin that i am whenever i see the people paper the first thing i read is the death notices :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

anyone want to take a photo of this thing?

i was driving over the bridge today and couldnt see it! I forgot to check on the way back, where exactly is it?

You won't see it from the bridge. You need to turn off at the junction across the road from where the Oak Tavern was, its just before the railway bridge. Will try and get a picture this weekend.

You won't see it from the bridge. You need to turn off at the junction across the road from where the Oak Tavern was, its just before the railway bridge. Will try and get a picture this weekend.
    oh right, will take a trip by it tomorrow or saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Saw it yesterday after reading about it on this thread. Really don't understand why it's there...

i think we need some photographic evidence:P

Might be passing there today - will try and get a photo if so.

Taken sunday 31/8 evening

0800831_elephant_01.jpg

0800831_elephant_02.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

The Elephant statue is in the reeds, on the left, just before you drive under the railway bridge, at Ferricarrig - heading towards Wexford on the old road.

I think its great.... kids love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭poppy123

Hiya
    You wont see it if you are going into town over the bridge. When you go past the ferrycarraig and take the first left it is in the reeds to the left of the road - as far as I remember before you come to the really bad bend. I will be passing during the week so I'll take a photo and post it up. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭poppy123

Sorry ignore my earlier post saying I would take a photo! I didnt even see the previous ones. Brain not working today, sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭sallysaucer101

My friends Dad Declan Power who owns Ferrycarrig Autobody Repairs actually made him!

He was taken away for repairs for the last few weeks but was put back out there and now has a friend! A life size Giraffe! He was put out last night and looks pretty amazing!!!

Declan has been working on it for over a year and a half. He also has a stag in his garden and a small airplane on the roof of his shed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I missed the elephant over the last few weeks.
    Its great to hear he is back and has a friend.

Well done to Declan, beautiful job. He has created a unique landmark.
    Roadside sculpture is very important and creates points of interest on a long journey.

I'm looking forward to seeing both of them.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭foolelle

Yeah... i seen the giraffe from the bridge on my way back to the big schmoke, its looks savage. great to see something different around wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 stevenfclong

funkyflea wrote: »
    Ha I don't know either.. I got a fright driving by there one day for a second..
    How did you drive by one day for a second? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭foolelle

How did you drive by one day for a second? :)

ohh the bastardised wexford grammar how i miss thee

sorry its not the greatest pic but you get the idea :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Mr.Mister

There is a Giraffe and Elephant,i saw them on Sunday.

Advertisement