Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC + Charge to downgrade?

Options
  • 12-08-2008 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

Hi,

just a little confused about the following.

My package on NTL currently costs €26 a month, I see they have a cheaper package €20 a month. (Not too bothereed about TV to be honest)

Just rang up to downgrade, only to be informed that this would cost me €10.

Can UPC do this?

I'd appreciate people's opinion

Thanks,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Why do you think they can't do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭rubberduckey

I don't.

I'm asking for posters opinion on this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

They can yeah if they want...

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

Did you ask for a reason why they charge it?
    It is scandlous!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

Phone them up, say that you'd like to downgrade and when they mention the charge, tell them that as a loyal customer you wouldn't expect such as charge, but that the downgrade charge is a step too far and that you'd like to discontinue their service. You might find that they are a bit more accomodating then and possibly offer you incentives to remain with them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

heyjude wrote: »
    Phone them up, say that you'd like to downgrade and when they mention the charge, tell them that as a loyal customer you wouldn't expect such as charge, but that the downgrade charge is a step too far and that you'd like to discontinue their service. You might find that they are a bit more accomodating then and possibly offer you incentives to remain with them.
    yes they may well offfer half price for a month or two but then again getting sky in if you can is probably a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

From other post on here, it the norm but if you threaten to cancel your subscription altogether they will do it for free*

* : Disclaimer : If they cut you off and change you even more it your own fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 pluto1l

The 10 euro is a connect fee that introduce from 1 July, but if you upgrade to the 20 euro package (is a digital tv) by ordering online is free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Maybe you connected on a special offer that involved getting internet and TV. If you move from that special offer to one that is not as good value for UPC then you might be breaking contractual obligation. Could that be it? It seems absurd though if it's just an administration charge

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

AFAIK it's a charge they brought in to stop people getting Sky Sports at 14:59 on a Sat and cancelling at 17:00 the same day. But in order to make it fair they have to charge everyone.

Once it's in their T&C's they can do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭rubberduckey

Thanks for the feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Del2005 wrote: »
    AFAIK it's a charge they brought in to stop people getting Sky Sports at 14:59 on a Sat and cancelling at 17:00 the same day. But in order to make it fair they have to charge everyone.

Once it's in their T&C's they can do it.

If you get sky sports or other extra channels you have to keep them for the month you cant just cancel after the match and the ?10 is an admin charge to try to dissuade customers from dropping to cheaper monthly packages nothing more than greed!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

If you're outside your min period just ring up and cancel, then sign up again on the cheaper package.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

MOH wrote: »
    If you're outside your min period just ring up and cancel, then sign up again on the cheaper package.
    I've been considering doing this, what's likely to be their reaction?
    Are there 're'connection fees?
    (a/c isn't in my name, and i'm happy enough for it to be if we disconnect and reconnect)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Igy wrote: »
    I've been considering doing this, what's likely to be their reaction?
    Are there 're'connection fees?
    (a/c isn't in my name, and i'm happy enough for it to be if we disconnect and reconnect)

Not sure. I left NTL ages ago after they lost my account when I was moving, tried to charge me a massive outstanding bill at my new address, and wanted an extra €50 as a new connection since they then had no record of me ever having an account with them.

So they might try to hit you with a €50 connection fee, if that's still in place (it was 2 years ago). Plus if you sign up again you're probably going into a new minimum period contract.

Might be better as suggested to just threaten to cancel your account, see how that goes.

Advertisement