Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carrera Kraken - SRAM derailleur size

Options
  • 12-08-2008 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

I have Carrera Kraken which I purchased late last year second hand. I think the year is either late 05 or 06.

Not a bad bike for the light trail use I give it. The rear SRAM X-7 derailleur snapped a few months ago and I got a local bike shop to replace it.
    Unfortunately, they fitted the wrong SRAM derailleur and didn't even cycle the bike as a test when it was done. Otherwise they would have quickly realised that the 8 speed derailleur they fitted wasn't compatible with the 9speed cassette!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

To cut a long story short, I've given up on waiting for them to return my calls and will buy one on eBay (they charged €130 for a worthless job) and fit it myself.
    But as I don't have the original one anymore,and it's higly unlikely that the shop will, does anyone know what length derailleur to use on this bike?
    There is a long and medium length cage on offer:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/SRAM_X-7_8~9_Speed_Rear_Derailleur/5360011422/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Long cage, assuming you have a triple chainset up front and a 32ish rear large cog.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭scaldybelt

Thanks Morgan - that's what I suspected due to the amount of slippage on the derailleur they fitted from slack chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

name and shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

€130 for a derailleur seems very expensive unless you really destroyed it. Aren't derailleur hangers meant to bend if you hit the derailleur off something, thereby saving the cogs, shifting mechanism etc.? I had a bent hanger replaced a couple of weeks ago in the Cycle Inn, only cost about €25.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

I wouldn't let them away with that, to be honest. If they've really used the wrong parts to do a job you paid for, I'd be all about getting them to re-do it properly.

It's definitely the wrong derailleur and not just poorly adjusted? If so, keep your cash and bring the bike back in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭scaldybelt

Galvins, Portlaoise. They had a shop in Portarlington for a few months, but it shut up (story was due to problems with the landlord) while my bike was with them.

The section that is bolted to the frame to hold it on snapped, that was the reason for getting a new one. Also needed a new chain as it snapped when I was wheeling the bike back from where it happened (down a local lane - nothing hardcore).
    To be honest, it's the first time I've ever got a shop to fix any of my bikes over the years. I sourced the exact part on eBay-uk for £35 originally, but was so busy at the day job that I decided to give the business locally at the time. I've learned my lesson.
    As they're now only in Portlaoise (and I am never there), I've decided I'm going to learn how to fit one and do it myself. I can always sell the Dual Drive they fitted on ebay to make some €€ back. It's probably the last bike job that I've never done, so here goes!

The annoying thing about the owner was that when he dropped the bike up to me - allegedly repaired - he was going on about how his reputation is important to him.
    ....hmmmmmmmmmm.....maybe he shouldn't have
    A) ordered the wrong part
    B) never tested out the bike once it was fitted
    C) overcharged me
    D) never returned my calls to come back and fix the problem

Rant over.

Advertisement