Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asda coming to Sligo

Options
  • 12-08-2008 12:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

I see on the front page of the Weekender that Asda may be coming to Sligo. Have Sligo Boardsies been campaigning. First Argos now this. I need to write a wish list :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I saw that too, whats the betting someone will put a spanner in the works.
    I would love to see an Asda here!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

magnumlady wrote: »
    I saw that too, whats the betting someone will put a spanner in the works.
    I would love to see an Asda here!:D

I give it three months before we have an objection from someone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Big_Mac wrote: »
    I give it three months before we have an objection from someone

Aye, probably Tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Big_Mac wrote: »
    I give it three months minutes before we have an objection from someone

Hi Big Mac, I fixed your post :)

dingding wrote: »
    Hi Big Mac, I fixed your post :)

lol:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

Where are the other ASDA stores in the Republic? As for ASDA in Sligo, I'll believe it when I see it. :)

genie wrote: »
    Where are the other ASDA stores in the Republic? As for ASDA in Sligo, I'll believe it when I see it. :)

Now there's a point, I hadn't thought about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

seconded.Its just a rumour,i heard it on the internet,etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

When was the last time any story on the front of the Weekender ever proved correct?:p:p

Should be called the Windupper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Apparently the feedback that they have gotten from Eniskillen may have prompted them to do this, as there is a large amount of people traveling up there for the shopping. I wonder though, how would all the 2 for £4 offers work out? Would it be just another excuse for another shop to raise their prices because they are moving to the south?

• Advertisement

But if people are willing to travel to Eniskillen for Asda then would they really bother moving down here?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭cml387

I have heard that Argos are coming to Sligo (and Mullingar)

magnumlady wrote: »
    But if people are willing to travel to Eniskillen for Asda then would they really bother moving down here?

maybe people from mayo roscommon etc will make the trip to sligo,plus many more people from sligo as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

none, and er, erm, none

:D

they were also looking at donegal as per my thread on the donegal forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

they could easly open in donegal, sligo and run from their belfast offices as lidl does

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

ASDA school uniforms are fab if anyone is heading up there. Trousers/Skirts about 3p (ish...:pac:)

Can't see the flagship republic store being opened here somehow.

sueme wrote: »
    ASDA school uniforms are fab if anyone is heading up there. Trousers/Skirts about 3p (ish...:pac:)

they probably will eventully start popin up eventually, but consideing the amount of stuff the stores usally stock, and the amount of floor space they take up, not sure if the irish retail laws concerning shop/retail floor size will allow the size of floor space you see in the UK/n ireland over here

remember how ikea almost never went ahead in dublin because their stores are so huge , an exception had to be made in the law to allow them to build

sueme wrote: »

I was thinking that but didn't really like to say! :D

Was up in Enniskillen last week. ASDA was packed and Tesco was practically empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Both Tesco and Dunnes are far more expensive here than in the north. Is there any reason to believe that Asda would retain it's northern prices here? I doubt it. Marks and Spencers would interest me more as they have a great selection, but I don't think any retailer will offer much value in this congested little market of ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

M&S really do set aside a lot of retail space. Just look at their premises in Dublin (Grafton St, Liffey Valley, Mary St.) There is no doubt Sligo as a county has more space to work with, although with the population being much smaller, will there be a real desire for them to come here? ASDA would be much more likely and would be a great addition to the shopping options here.

• Advertisement

they may not retain their UK/NI prices, no other company do, its the usual, import/transport/higher costs, etc etc, but hopefully they would be cheeper in comparision to the other supermarkets

DenMan wrote: »
    M&S really do set aside a lot of retail space. Just look at their premises in Dublin (Grafton St, Liffey Valley, Mary St.) There is no doubt Sligo as a county has more space to work with, although with the population being much smaller, will there be a real desire for them to come here? ASDA would be much more likely and would be a great addition to the shopping options here.

I'd love them both:D....I don't want much do I!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

il gatto wrote: »
    Both Tesco and Dunnes are far more expensive here than in the north. Is there any reason to believe that Asda would retain it's northern prices here?

The prices are only cheaper now because the pound is really low! We lived in Manorhamilton for a while and everybody said it was really cheap there when the pound was high and everything was more expensive (lots). If you want the prices to be the same as in the north dont complain when everything is more expensive when the pound is high!!!

I really dont think asda will find a place in sligo coz the chamber of commerce wont allow any progress, suppport your local rip off!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Sulukie

I don't think the Chamber of Commerce will have the same impact as previously, there are a lot of commercial premises and sites zoned for commercial use sitting empty at the moment, and a lot of builders and labourers looking for work.

It would be good to have a supermarket outside the town centre with decent parking no matter who it is.

Where do you all shop?

DenMan wrote: »
    and in galway m&s is tiny!

Sulukie wrote: »
    I don't think the Chamber of Commerce will have the same impact as previously, there are a lot of commercial premises and sites zoned for commercial use sitting empty at the moment, and a lot of builders and labourers looking for work.

It would be good to have a supermarket outside the town centre with decent parking no matter who it is.

Where do you all shop?

I reckon the chamber will have the same impact, they seem to run Sligo.
    I think the only way Asda would get around it would be if they came to Collooney:D
    I shop in Dunnes, its not great, but the parking is free and so is the toilet:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Where do you all shop?

Lidl and Dunnes.

Lidl's fairtrade dark chocolate, for example, is superior to G&B's (imo) and at a fraction of the price. Too bad it only comes in "plain".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

Where do you all shop?

we shop at tesco's and lidl. but now the pound is low we go to ennikillen and we do the asda, tesco and lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I love Asda so I hope this rumor of them coming to Sligo is true but I will believe it when I see it.
    I would buy a few bits and pieces in Tesco because its open 24 hours and I hate going shopping in the middle of the day when its really busy and difficult to find a parking space.

• Advertisement

Where do you all shop?

Tesco and Lidl (in Carrick on Shannon). Dunnes (in Sligo) mostly for frozen stuff every now and again. And I got to Tesco, Asda and Iceland in Enniskillen every six weeks or so - mostly to stock up on Sweet and Sour Pot Noodle which isn't available down here for some bizzare reason! :D

Advertisement