Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need help for project - typical barn construction?

• 12-08-2008 12:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I'm doing a project at the moment and I need your help! :confused:

Basically I've to assume that a barn constructed sometime this century has been converted into a livable building during the 80's. If this was the case, what could I assume the walls consist of?

I don't need anything too detailed, just a vague idea so I can piece together the u-values....

I was thinking something along the lines of 9" stone for the barn, then perhaps someone stuck plasterboard on wooden supports on the inside? The whole point of this is to improve the efficiency, so I can assume they took the cheap way out!!

Would barn walls typically have a cavity or would they be solid?

Hope someone can help here please, lets say construction is not my forte :p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Most barns (pre 1950's) would have been built in solid stone - 22" thick. If you go back 100+ years then you would be looking at 27" - 36" thick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

If its a barn and not a shed then I would assume corregated iron/aesbestos and maybe cavity blocks or mass concrete. That seems to be the buildup of all the sheds on our farm from 1940/50's on anyway. The older sheds are stone walls, lime plaster and slate roofs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 HeatLoad

If you can get into the loft you may be able to see the thickness and make up of the wall at the eaves. Otherwise, to find the approximate thickness of the walls subtract the internal dimensions of the barn from the external dimensions and divide by two.
    Are you calculating the u values yourself? Could be difficult if you don't have a good knowledge of building construction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Thanks for that everyone. Yeah it's just the basics, really showing the technique of U-value calculations rather than having to account for every wooden beam and draught!

I presume the lime plaster goes on the outside (shame on me) :)

Edit: This barn doesn't exist!!! :D Just as well actually ....

Advertisement