Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VAG-COM

Options
  • 12-08-2008 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Ok so i want to get a VAG-COM kit. But I want to do it the right way (eg) legal!

It is like £200 on ross tech but on ebay the ables are like £20.... has anyone experience of both or one to offer advice before I buy?

Cheers

1Love

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

The ebay cables are illegal copies of the genuine Ross-tech cables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭jony1983ie

oh rite! good to know other wise I would have made a blunder there. So direct off Ross is the way to go then

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭geezer1234

I looked at this a while ago. Make sure you get the correct connector for your VW.

Have a look at this page

The current golf model is called rabbit in the US.

I did not end up going for it in the end as I thought it was a bit expensive ($329)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

If you go to the following fourm http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=26918 this guy sells vag com cables, he also does group buys and the lads on that fourm seem very happy with the quality. Ensure it is the right cable for your Passat though as there are many different type of Diagnostic plugs across the VAG range. The Plug in your B5.5 Passat is located on the drivers side, Its pointing towards he floor so you will have to get on your knees.

Im investigating gettin one myself. :D

my friend has a golf and he pluged his in, but some lables and other things wouldnt work. He said it was because it was an old software for 02 and mine is 05. But he said a new version would work. He was using ebay cables and said they could also be the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

got one for my golf last year. Plugged it in and laptop picked it up but just couldnt get the software working. Waste of 40 blips really

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

HEX-USB+CAN is the one you want, it covers all models from old to present day.
    I have this one, the software is free from rosstech.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

He wants to get a legal version. Also this one is not CAN so no good for his car.
    the cables are made from off the shelf parts are they not?

• Advertisement

VH wrote: »
    the cables are made from off the shelf parts are they not?

The issue is software license. The genuine lead has a dongle built in to unlock the software.
    The copies are either clones or come with cracked software so are pirate. The software will work with any lead but with limited functionality unless unlocked.
    Uwe Ross blocks the clones in each update. Also there is very good tech support for Ross Tech but only for registered users.

At the price, considering how good the software is, I think Uwe is due a few quid.

ok - but is vag com really that much better than the alternatives?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I've been thinking about getting one of these kits for a while, but would be wary of getting done for import duty. Has anyone brought one in successfully, or would there be any interest in a Boards group-buy? (not run by me - I'm more an idea man! :D)

ok - but is vag com really that much better than the alternatives?

Which alternatives?

not up on vag stuff - but I see mention of VAG Diagnose, VAG Commander, VAG Cancommander, Carsoft for VAG, Vag-Check .........

You won’t buy any of the commanders for the same price as Vag Com, unless cloned. The cloned ones do not work very well.
    Yes, Vag Com is better value than any of them.

He wants to get a legal version. Also this one is not CAN so no good for his car.
    the ebay cables are legal - the vag com software requires a licence that can be bought after verifying the cable works with the shareware version of vag com - tho there is more flexibility and support by using ross techs own cable (I just read the website)

unless I was going into business diagnosing vag cars I think I would stick with the cheaper ebay ones and the shareware version of vag com/other vag tools/obd software

You won’t buy any of the commanders for the same price as Vag Com, unless cloned. The cloned ones do not work very well.
    Yes, Vag Com is better value than any of them.
    what do you make of this:
    http://ucables.com/ref/VCOMMANDER

the ebay cables are legal - the vag com software requires a licence that can be bought after verifying the cable works with the shareware version of vag com - tho there is more flexibility and support by using ross techs own cable (I just read the website)

Is that not what I said here?
    The copies are either clones or come with cracked software so are pirate. The software will work with any lead but with limited functionality unless unlocked.

If the cable from ebay is a clone and gets blocked by the software it will not work any longer, even if the software licence is paid. It is not just a case of going back to an earlier version as each new version updates the firmware in the interface.
    what do you make of this:
    http://ucables.com/ref/VCOMMANDER

It’s a clone. They are claiming a newer version of software than the software writer has released.

Is that not what I said here?
    you implied the cable billbond4 mentioned is illegal
    It’s a clone. They are claiming a newer version of software than the software writer has released.
    ok

• Advertisement

you implied the cable billbond4 mentioned is illegal

Why do you think the seller describes the cable as a 409?

Software version 4.09 is the most common cracked version that is easily available. There is no need for drivers as everything required is contained in the software. The disk will contain a cracked version of the software.

Software version 4.09 is the most common cracked version that is easily available. There is no need for drivers as everything required is contained in the software. The disk will contain a cracked version of the software.
    Wow, didnt know that - interesting stuff

no software included with that one - so is the cable itself illegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,365 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I wouldnt mind getting hold of a cable to change a few things on my A5. I would go for a rip off copy if I could get the version required. As far as I know I need the HEX-USB CAN. Are there any of these versions going cheap?

Alternatively, Would a few of us here not share one? Im in mayo but there are alot of people around dublin on here, they could easily share one. I would certainly go half in one. The genuine one is 300+ dollars.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭daithihalton

buy the original one, its well worth it and the back up from them is 100%, I have the hex-can a couple of years now highly recommended!!
    if you are in the drogheda area you are more than welcome to use it

a bit off topic but funny none the less... I knew a guy who did that he got a board to all chip in a get this expensive drum kit off ebay. They could share it too... all they got was a pic of the drum kit.... so the boy photo copied it and sent it to everyone. They saw the funny site after getting their money back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭barthek

that is simply not true.

the reason they mention 4.09 is that it is the last VAGCOM version that supports so called 'dumb' interfaces. Newer version require different cables.

there is absolutely nothing stopping one from buying a fully legit license for 4.09 version via ross-tech's shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

I just tried my ebay cable in a Honda Accord and a Seat Leon using Scantech Generic software from the web, and was able to read engine data.
    No faults codes showed up so happy driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Jean Dwyer

I just purchased a Carmanscan from a company called AGE in cork.
    They have lots of different Diagnostic tools the one I got has lots of functionality (airbags, ABS, immobiliser auto box and a pile more) and is worth the money does jap imports too switched off a couple of lights on a mates EVO today, I'm well impressed. they come and do a demo on-site.
    http://www.nex-tek.com/english/product/01_am04_m04.asp#m04
    www.ageltd.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭cuculainn

billbond4 wrote: »
    I just tried my ebay cable in a Honda Accord and a Seat Leon using Scantech Generic software from the web, and was able to read engine data.
    No faults codes showed up so happy driver.

Hey can you tell me what one you bought from Ebay?
    I just bought a u281 coder reader for VG/Seat etc.
    I want to get a cable for hooking up to laptop software.

I was looking at the ELMscan 327 with scantool software what do people think?
    Has anyone any experience with this or what would you recommend. I want to be able to check a few diferent cars

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

I got the USB OBD2 OBD-II VAG KKL Cable for 409.1 Audi VW Skoda

Advertisement