Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Secondary Sub Teaching

• 12-08-2008 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi there,

I am going looking for subbing hours or any kind of hours that I can come september.

I have been out of the loop for a few years and just wondered if someone could let me know what course books you would advise I invest in for English and History junior and senior cycle in order to be adequately equipped for subbing?

Also, any advice re the best approach to take in finding work would be much appreciated. I have CV's sent off to all relevant schools, I have applied for anything in my area. Just wondered what best follow up would be.

Thanks a mil.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Join the hunt ;) I'd imagine schools will be snowed under with CVs from people looking for subbing over next while (some of them mine;)) Good luck to you in your quest :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I would say the best follow up would be to visit as many schools as you can in person in the days following the 26th.

In our school, we would never put someone into a classroom subbing just from a CV - personally meeting them, if only for ten minutes or so, makes an impression and makes you more likely to get a regular gig - especially if you live nearby and can do 8.45 classes with little notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

For Gods sake dont buy/invest in school books !You should be able to get free teachers 'inspection copies' although using a school address may be advisable/necessary.Just ring up the publisher and say "Hi Im X can you please send me an inspection copy of Book Y-by the way do you mind posting it to my home address?(PAUSE for response ...) as Im (Insert excuse eg finished up in my old school etc )
    Folens are the only company who DONT freely send out free textbooks to teachers.They give them out via sales reps in classrooms
    Hey there arent that many perks in this job may as well take advantage

Advertisement