Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMS.ie: Toshiba U400-124

• 12-08-2008 2:28pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Evening folks..

Was done some laptop shopping for a client over the last few days. She wanted a laptop that wasn't to heavy, small screen and was not pricey. First place I checked was Dell, and found a few different options but the one I liked was the XPS M1330 which worked out at €864.

Tried PC world, and found the Toshiba U400-124 which was pretty much the same spec as the XPS. They were asking for €800 - a display model reduced from about a €1,000.

Checked with Toshiba who referred me to BMS.ie. I got the same spec machine PC World had, brand new, for €749.34 incl. VAT & Delivery (within 72hrs). Its only 1.9kg. Googled the laptop brand, seems to get good reviews.
    Core2 Duo T5550 (1.83GHz)K
    2GB
    160GB
    13.3" Wide XGA CSV
    Intel 965GM (Crestline)
    DVD-Supermulti (+-DL),
    Wireless + Bluetooth
    Vista 32bit Home Premium
    Works & Office trial
    1.3MPixel WebCam

1 x RJ-11
    1 x i.LINK® (IEEE 1394)
    1 x headphone (stereo)
    1 x integrated 1.3 Megapixel Video Camera
    3 x USB 2.0
    1 x 6-in-1 Media slot
    1 x external microphone
    1 x RJ-45
    1 x external monitor
    1 x ExpressCard slot

Source: http://shop.bms.ie/product_info.php?products_id=35076&osCsid=cd272d3a11fccbdcc9b2845d5ffce596

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

BMS are excellent to deal with and also look after repairs etc. should anything go wrong.

And give me a Toshiba over a Dell every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 mackTheKnife

Sully wrote: »
    Evening folks..

Was done some laptop shopping for a client over the last few days. She wanted a laptop that wasn't to heavy, small screen and was not pricey. First place I checked was Dell, and found a few different options but the one I liked was the XPS M1330 which worked out at €864.

Tried PC world, and found the Toshiba U400-124 which was pretty much the same spec as the XPS. They were asking for €800 - a display model reduced from about a €1,000.

Checked with Toshiba who referred me to BMS.ie. I got the same spec machine PC World had, brand new, for €749.34 incl. VAT & Delivery (within 72hrs). Its only 1.9kg. Googled the laptop brand, seems to get good reviews.

Source: http://shop.bms.ie/product_info.php?products_id=35076&osCsid=cd272d3a11fccbdcc9b2845d5ffce596

653 for an inspiron 1525 with the same spec, 579 without the webcam and bluetooth ... Not as light as the Tosh but for 100 bucks I'd carry the extra weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

also dealt with bms in the past when i had a tosh with a 3 yr warranty. They were excellent to deal with . prompt repairs also

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

653 for an inspiron 1525 with the same spec, 579 without the webcam and bluetooth ... Not as light as the Tosh but for 100 bucks I'd carry the extra weight.

Dont the Inspirons have the Celeron processor? Twas an area I was avoiding. As for weight - ya I know, but she insisted on the lightest :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Sully wrote: »
    Dont the Inspirons have the Celeron processor? Twas an area I was avoiding. As for weight - ya I know, but she insisted on the lightest :)

At the price he was quoting not a chance of it being a celeron. Still not a fair comparison though as 15.4" laptops are generally work out the cheapest for the same spec. If he was comparing it to a 13.3" laptop then it would be a fair comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

At the price he was quoting not a chance of it being a celeron. Still not a fair comparison though as 15.4" laptops are generally work out the cheapest for the same spec. If he was comparing it to a 13.3" laptop then it would be a fair comparison.

Ah yes just looked it up. One of them has the Celeron but the other Inspirons don't. :)

Advertisement