Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing Oil Stove for Solid Fuel

Options
  • 12-08-2008 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

I have a stand alone Waterford Stanley non-boiler stove, which heats the kitchen/living area.

Just wondering, would it be possible to replace this with a wood/solid fuel non-boiler stove? It was installed when the house was being built so it has the oil feed etc. Would this be a big job?

Reason? well the price of oil - I also have an independent OFCH system. Also,I am so fed up of waiting months to have this stove serviced by the commissioned plumber. For example, I put in a request in April this year to have it serviced - still waiting! The year before that, it broke down and I waited 14 weeks for the plumber. He covers the area I live in which is 20 miles from his hometown, so quite clearly and understandably, he will put me and others like me, on the LONG finger.

Thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

I am planning to do this myself before the winter sets in.

Our Stanley Oisin stove works fine (except for the odd airlock last year) and is very convenient but tends to drink oil and I'm afraid she's becoming a little bit uneconomical. So I'm in the process of trying to get rid of the oil stove (no takers yet!) and replace it with a solid fuel version (plus I got my hands on a load of turf a few weeks ago :D).

It shouldn't be a big job to whip out the oil stove and replace it with the solid fuel one. My register plate may need changing if the flue outlet is in a different position. Then it's just a matter of disconnecting the oil feed and tidying up the pipework, a hour or two's work. Much simpler than doing the reverse operation, that's for sure.

Couple of recent discussions on this topic if you do a search BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

Thanks for that. Will do a seach. It is sounding more likely now!

Advertisement