Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HDMI Cables in Zavvi

• 12-08-2008 2:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

I was looking for a HDMI cable today and I went to a few different places. The prices varied a lot. I thought most were ridiculously overpriced. These are the prices I came across today.

Game: €24.99, 1.5m.
    Dixons: €29.99, 2m. €59.99, 3m.
    Sony Centre: €79.99, 3m. €105, 4m (pure copper, gold plated, double insulated bullsh!t)
    Zavvi: €5, 2m.

So if anybody is looking for HDMI cables Zavvi is the place to go. All the shops told me that the quaility of the cable was the reason for the excessive prices. But it's a load of rubbish. Digital is Digital. There's no difference between between gold plated connectors or 100% pure copper cable etc...

Zavvi €5 ftw!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

QuadLeo wrote: »
    All the shops told me that the quaility of the cable was the reason for the excessive prices. But it's a load of rubbish. Digital is Digital. There's no difference between between gold plated connectors or 100% pure copper cable etc...

It is a pity that some shops get away with it.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

I think if you're looking for a really long one it makes a difference but short ones are all the same.

The price in Zavvi seems to have come down too. I payed 8 euro for one during the last Zavvi sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭QuadLeo

Yea, but I think you can get a good 10m run before there are any issues. Still, it's some serious price differences between 2m and 4m.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭duffmagic

€10 for DID own brand one. Think it's 1.5m long. Not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 HungryJoe

I was looking for a HDMI cable today and I went to a few different places. The prices varied a lot. I thought most were ridiculously overpriced. These are the prices I came across today.

Game: €24.99, 1.5m.
    Dixons: €29.99, 2m. €59.99, 3m.
    Sony Centre: €79.99, 3m. €105, 4m (pure copper, gold plated, double insulated bullsh!t)
    Zavvi: €5, 2m.

So if anybody is looking for HDMI cables Zavvi is the place to go. All the shops told me that the quaility of the cable was the reason for the excessive prices. But it's a load of rubbish. Digital is Digital. There's no difference between between gold plated connectors or 100% pure copper cable etc...

Zavvi €5 ftw!

I was lookin for a bog-standard USB cable last week and Tesco were out of stock so I checked several places and they were all asking for €20. Finally picked one up in IT Direct on Parliament St for a fiver.

But if you think that's bad, some people will charge you £470 sterling for the power cable that plugs your stereo into the wall.http://www.badscience.net/category/hi-fi/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

http://www.dealextreme.com/search.dx/search.hdmi
    Around USD 10 inc delivery for a 1.8m HDMI
    not bad and works out under €7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭WIZWEB

Yeah got a Dealextreme one too. Good quality and cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭RayCarley

I bought 2 good quality ones on Ebay for only a couple of euro including postage. There are tons of people selling them cheap there as well.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

just to let people know that the "quality" issue is only worth the extra money if your talking of a wire that is 20 metres or more - or at least very long - unless you get a complete piece of **** you won't find a difference between any wire less than 2 metres or 10 metres for that that matter. buy as cheap a possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

There are some for 7 bucks in Tesco. It's with all their reduced stock. Well, this was in one in Monaghan anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Enda89

I picked up a HDMI cable in Zavvi about a month ago. A 2m cable and it cost me just over 10 euro I think.

A year ago I paid 30 euro(!!!) for a 1m cable in Argos! It's gold plated, oxygen free... all this ****e. I realise in hindsight I got ripped off, big time!

There is absolutly NO difference whatsoever in pic quality when using either cable.

So Zavvi is definatly the place to go for anyone who needs a cable!

There's a s hit load of PC and PS2 games in Zavvi Cork for one euro each.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Yeah I heard about that. Any good ones or just a load of old shíte?

Load of s hite really.

But still, a euro ain't bad if you want to add to your collection.

Crimson Skies, Football Manager, Tomb Raider, Sega Rally, Viewtiful Joe, Rise of Nations all there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 jimmi_c

Main reason why there is such a huge difference in pricing for hdmi cables is due to the amount of bandwidth they can allow to pass through them.
    usually cables which are less than 15 or 20 euro are not capable fo allowing you to see a full high definition picture,only a high definition ready pic 1080i or 720p.A very good ''monster'' cable would easily cost more than 100euro and they can allow a resolution of up to 1400 to pass through them,basicaly super high def.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

jimmi_c wrote: »
    Main reason why there is such a huge difference in pricing for hdmi cables is due to the amount of bandwidth they can allow to pass through them.
    usually cables which are less than 15 or 20 euro are not capable fo allowing you to see a full high definition picture,only a high definition ready pic 1080i or 720p.A very good ''monster'' cable would easily cost more than 100euro and they can allow a resolution of up to 1400 to pass through them,basicaly super high def.
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

??? Sure VGA and DVI can already do that, one analog and one digital. Why wouldn't any HDMI allow a 1400 signal?

What are you talking about? Where did you read this rubbish? Was it on the monster cable website by any chance? There is no difference in capacity or bandwidth between two HDMI cables of different prices. The cables are just copper wires. That has nothing to do with bandwidth. The protocol used for the transfer and the way you're blu-ray player or HD TV deal with the data once it's received effects the speed but the cable has northing to do with it. This is the sort of misinformation that allows companies to sell these cables at ridiculous prices. There are loads of threads on this topic, do a bit of research first.

There is no difference in capacity or bandwidth between two HDMI cables of different prices.

Tere are hdmi cables which are version 1.0 1.1 1.2 and 1.3, 1.3 obviously being the best aand has the capability of allowing a higher bandwidth to pass through.

The protocol used for the transfer and the way you're blu-ray player or HD TV deal with the data once it's received effects the speed but the cable has northing to do with it.

Not questioning of how the data is transferd but the quality of the picture one cable gives you can be different, in cheap cables you only see 24bit colour which would be 1.0-1.2 hdmi version in a 1.3 version its 48bit which is alot richer. Yes obviously you need a tv and source that will output that but we are talking about cables not equipment.

Also DTS HD and DTS HD Master Audio willo nly work with a 1.3 version Hdmi cable.Now this is on the back of most blu ray disc boxes so the buyer can see the sound quality he is getting is only going to be as good as the cable he has basicaly, so therefore cables are different and of different quality.

Why dont you do some research.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭blackbox

There is no difference in capacity or bandwidth between two HDMI cables of different prices.

Tere are hdmi cables which are version 1.0 1.1 1.2 and 1.3, 1.3 obviously being the best aand has the capability of allowing a higher bandwidth to pass through.

The protocol used for the transfer and the way you're blu-ray player or HD TV deal with the data once it's received effects the speed but the cable has northing to do with it.

Not questioning of how the data is transferd but the quality of the picture one cable gives you can be different, in cheap cables you only see 24bit colour which would be 1.0-1.2 hdmi version in a 1.3 version its 48bit which is alot richer. Yes obviously you need a tv and source that will output that but we are talking about cables not equipment.

Also DTS HD and DTS HD Master Audio willo nly work with a 1.3 version Hdmi cable.Now this is on the back of most blu ray disc boxes so the buyer can see the sound quality he is getting is only going to be as good as the cable he has basicaly, so therefore cables are different and of different quality.

One born every minute LOL

:D

No. It's the HD source and TV that need to support higher colour depth. HDMI 1.3 is a revision that changed the HDMI protocol. The cable is simply a cable. Like the difference between all the differnet speeds available through ethernet. It depends on your hardware, not the cable. It's you're hardware that supports 1.3 not the cable. If the cable fits in the slot it'll work.

No. You're wrong again. A v1.0 HDMI cable will carry these audio signals as long as both the source and destination are 1.3 compatible.

Come back to me when you have studied signal processing for 3 years.

Please do some research of your own before spouting bull**** like that.

well what hi-fi and stuff magazine are obviously wrong because thats where i would generally get my information from. And im not going to argue over something so stupid.

let me just get this right. Lets say for example i have a 46 inch sony lcd,lets say a 46x3000,one of the top models,and i have also have a ps3 or a blu ray player,model bdps350,both i know are version 1.3 etc...
    but by having a 5euro cable or 500euro i wont see any difference in the quality of the picture or hear any difference in the quality of sound and the data sent and recieved will be the exact same from either cable.

:confused:

by having a 5euro cable or 500euro i wont see any difference in the quality of the picture or hear any difference in the quality of sound and the data sent and recieved will be the exact same from either cable.

Now you're getting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

It has been tested that higher quality HDMI cables can carry a current 1080p signal over a longer distance, but it has also been tested that cheap cables can do just as well. Between a Monster HDMI cable costing over €100 and a cheap cable you can buy from Zavvi, there will be no difference in quality when we're talking about current 1080p content.

Nobody can categorically say that 12bit, 24bit or 48bit colour depth is only possible on a high quality certified HDMI 1.3 cable because the content and ability to play such content is not available in the consumer market yet. Simulated tests carried out show, as evidenced in the below links, that low priced HDMI cables can handle higher colour depths in 1080p; if this is a glimpse of the future then it certainly bodes well for the cheap HDMI cables.

1440p content will not be available in the consumer market for a few years yet so I wouldn't worry too much about this.

Also, it is not required for a HDMI cable to be certified 1.3 to bitstream HD audio formats such as Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD HR/MA, it is only required that the devices themselves e.g. Blu-ray/HD-DVD player and receivers are 1.3. The reason why the PS3 cannot bitstream HD audio is because it uses a specific chipset from Silicon Image which doesn’t support HD audio bitstreaming; this is also the reason why so many people rejoiced when Sony offered internal DTS-HDMA decoding for the PS3 in a firmware update as it meant it could internally decode all HD audio formats.

A word of advice too; places like What Hi-Fi are notorious for championing products that have little or no effect on audio or video quality. If you need evidence about this then search through AVForums and all the other technology forums for further information.

Gizmodo carried out tests between short, medium and long length HDMI cables from the low priced cables all the way up to the expensive Monster cables and their results are very interesting.

The Truth About Monster Cable (Part 1)

The Truth About Monster Cable (Part 2)

The Truth About Monster Cable (Part 3)

well what hi-fi and stuff magazine are obviously wrong because thats where i would generally get my information from.

I hear ya. I read those magazines all the time. A lot of good info in them but they do print stuff that isn't the full truth. There was an article a while back about monster cables and the top of the range HDMI one they sell. It didn't explicitly say, but the article did imply that this cable was absolutely necessary for full HD and HDMI 1.3 transfer. But it didn't say it like that in black and white. I get confused about the whole thing a lot because there are so many different people and groups, websites and magazines saying different things about it. At the end of the day I know that my €5 cable is every bit as good as any other cable. Maybe in the future cheaper cables may hit a limit but I can't see how they would.
    And im not going to argue over something so stupid

This is a bit stupid but I get frustrated, as do other people here, when people say there is a difference between these cables and it's worth the extra money for a better picture when that is definitely not true. At the end of the day this is the bargain alerts forum so if you want a HDMI cable bargain Zavvi is the place to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Come back to me when you have studied signal processing for 3 years.

To do another comparison. Having been a techie for near 20 years now I have not seen many changes in ethernet cabling - alright BNC and coax etc is more or less gone now - but the humble oul ethernet cabling has seen speeds go from very low to 10Mb, 100Mb and 1000Mb switched - and same oul humble ethernet cable linking those multi Gb switches: In all that time not much has changed - only difference has been addition of CAT5e and now CAT6. It was always limited by distance, at the high end, as to how effective the cable was. HDMI will likely never need to travel the same distances.

To put this in the same context as HDMI cabling - over the last 20 years there has been far more important data carried over ethernet cabling than will ever be carried over HDMI cabling: medical equipment, life support info etc etc - and one thing is for sure is that the cheapest oul ethernet cable will do the same job as the next one:p - I am sure that the server we are all reading these messages off has a cheap oul ethernet cable hanging out the back; and the sound seems good to me!

One thing to remember too - your Sky HD comes in over the air and then down over the cheapest coax the sky installer can buy - so don't think gold plated €100 cabling between your Sky HD box and your expensive Sony is gonna make much of a difference.

My tuppence worth:D - now let me check where those two cheapo dealextreme HDMI's cables are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

The linked articles here were very good. The one valid argument they made in favour of Monster-type cables, is where you want to:
    1) Use very long HDMI cables
    2) Future-proof your setup
    3) Bury these cables deep in the cavities of your walls

Having said that, I would still subscribe to the: [buy the cable cheap, and if it doesn't work out then get the more expensive cable] school of thought!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

One thing to remember too - your Sky HD comes in over the air and then down over the cheapest coax the sky installer can buy -

Not to take away from your valid point but installers who work directly for sky must use CAI approved cable such as H109, definitely not the cheapest. Most cheap cables are installed by builders/electricians who are usually not around when it comes to installing satellite gear. HDMI and coax are entirely differnt animals and unlike HDMI buying cheap coax is never a good idea.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Tony wrote: »
    Not to take away from your valid point but installers who work directly for sky must use CAI approved cable such as H109, definitely not the cheapest. Most cheap cables are installed by builders/electricians who are usually not around when it comes to installing satellite gear. HDMI and coax are entirely differnt animals and unlike HDMI buying cheap coax is never a good idea.

Hi Tony,

Fair point and do not want to cheapen the sky install as whenever I have had a sky installer out they have always been very helpful and do a good job. The last guy did tell me though that they have to buy all their own kit and get paid based on the job - so keep it cheap and make the max margin:D

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

jeez guys, give jimi a break. He isn't entirely wrong, in fact he is mostly bang on about signal quality in the higher end cabling. Where he is wrong is thinking that anyone at home is going to see any difference in quality on their TV. People saying 'digital is digital' the cable doesn't matter at all are full of it also.

As it happens for any home application it likely doesn't matter those gizmodo articles are reasonable, they show that good cables make a massive difference to eye diagrams and signal transport. However the equalisation and termination in any home equipment is unlikely to make any use of the better signalling and unless you get unlucky with a bent or broken connection any hdmi cable is going to be fine over 5-10 feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Hi Paddy

I wonder was he an independent or did Sierra change there policy on this and make them but their own cable, anyway its neither here nor there on this topic. Fully agree with your analysis on HDMI cables.

Hi Tony,

Fair point and do not want to cheapen the sky install as whenever I have had a sky installer out they have always been very helpful and do a good job. The last guy did tell me though that they have to buy all their own kit and get paid based on the job - so keep it cheap and make the max margin:D

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

At the risk of getting the anoraks all exercised again by bringing this thread back from it's sleep.

For those living further away from Zavvi stores and close to a decent Tescos (if such a thing exists) Tesco now have HDMI cables reduced by 50% to €4.99!

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Do-more wrote: »
    At the risk of getting the anoraks all exercised again by bringing this thread back from it's sleep.

For those living further away from Zavvi stores and close to a decent Tescos (if such a thing exists) Tesco now have HDMI cables reduced by 50% to €4.99!
    Balls, I'm just after buying the €10 cable in zavvi the other day. €10 is still good but €5 is so much better.

Advertisement