Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Prestige Marques - What Constitues Prestige?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

dingding wrote: »
    Depends on the individual models in the marque.

i.e Audi Q7 prestige, Audi A2 not etc.....

While all rolls would be prestige

effin Q7 I hate that car. I know off topic, but I hate it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I would consider a prestige car maker one that doesn't make a car that is aimed the be mass produced, a car that is designed to have that bit of class and rarity about it. Complete opposite to Volkswagen, "The peoples car". The people who don't make cheap, plastic cars to try and make money. If Porsche had a new hatch back, that was €25,000, despite the rest of their range, i wouldn't consider them a prestige car maker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

superjosh9 wrote: »
    Wow, times and perceptions post-boom have obviously changed. Can't believe Saab isn't considered a prestige brand? They have two cars on the market - and both are 'executive' types. Surely that's 10 times better than something like Honda - esp since they have so many budget-mobiles like the Jazz for sale?

I remember back in the 80s/90s a Merc E-Class, BMW 5-Series, Saab 9000 and Volvo 740/60 were just about the top in prestige, in reality. (i.e, when S-Class/Rolls were all still super-rare and out of range).

Poor old Saab.

Jazz or no Jazz, compare like with like, 93 with Accord and the Honda is better in every single way. (styling might be the only thing that might differ).
    Blame Ford, blame Saab, blame whoever, but the 93 is nothing beside it's competitors if you look at the old 900 back then with it's competitors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

So to define a brand Prestigious (I probably should have said Premium for the purposes of the question) the following qualities are important:

Price - has to be out of the reach of most people
    Purity - has to be single minded, if you spread it too thin over small and big, quick and slow you dilute the brand
    Quality - has to be demonstrably high quality
    Exclusivity - everyone can't have one (a component of price, I guess)
    Cool - people must aspire to it, it can't be considered exclusive just because nobody wants one

Am I missing anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

Biro wrote: »
    Jazz or no Jazz, compare like with like, 93 with Accord and the Honda is better in every single way. (styling might be the only thing that might differ).
    Blame Ford, blame Saab, blame whoever, but the 93 is nothing beside it's competitors if you look at the old 900 back then with it's competitors.

ah yeh, but if someone came up to me and said:
    'Hey - I got a new Honda!' - I'd reply, 'fair enough'
    but, if someone said:
    'Hey - I got a new Saab!' - I'd reply, 'wooooooooooh!'

Surely that counts for something?! i.e, The brand that is Saab, and has been established over a number of years, carries more weight. It's cooler too, if that's any use..

• Advertisement

ah yeh, but if someone came up to me and said:
    'Hey - I got a new Honda!' - I'd reply, 'fair enough'
    but, if someone said:
    'Hey - I got a new Saab!' - I'd reply, 'wooooooooooh!'

Surely that counts for something?! i.e, The brand that is Saab, and has been established over a number of years, carries more weight. It's cooler too, if that's any use..

I used think they were cool, until I drove the 93. Now I don't. Hopefully they can bring themselves back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

In Ireland, I'd put:

BMW, Merc, Audi, Volvo and Saab all in the same category - i.e, prestige (as you put it) - but also offer more depending on the firm, be it sporting pretensions or safety or whatever.

I'd then put:

Lexus and Jag in another category where out and out luxury seems to be the m.o.

I may be tainted having lived in USA for a while though. Another game over there altogether...

Hard to argue VW as a prestige brand with things like the Fox for sale. So I would place VW, Ford, Toyota, Nissan in the same bracket - with Alfa, Honda and Subaru a little above - if only because they are a lot less common over here.

I agree with all of the above. I don't think price is the be all and end all, example: X5's cost a fortune but I wouldn't consider them prestigious (or cool!). A 335 on the other hand would be prestigious, and costs less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

RobAMerc wrote: »
    to my mind Audi,Porsche, BMW,Mercedes,Lexus,Jaguar,Saab and Volvo are most definitely still very much seen as prestige brands.

They are still seen as a cut above the like of Ford or VW and Honda - that doesn't mean they are any better though!

All the brands you say have devalued themselves by making cheaper cars ???
    Would they still be here if they hadn't gone mass market ?

Saab & Volvo would not attract the kind of following they did in the past. Most of those owners will have moved on (OK some may have kicked the bucket, but you know what I mean). They don't see the marques in the same light. They have lost their individuality and character (esp Saab) since been taken over by bigger companies and lack of investment/direction. People are just living in the past if they think those cars have any status in automotive terms. May be they still appeal to dentists, solicitors, scarf wearers, you know the type.

Ultimately what has prestige or is perceived to be prestigious to a working class person is on a completely different level to an upper middle class one. It is not PC I know but that is the way it is. A 316i or C180 may be a status symbol to one person and so prestigious but to many others the wheels of a photocopier salesman.

The way it has got it has become more about badges, and an entry level poverty spec car with a coarse underpowered engine and crap gearbox lowers the prestige of its technical tour de force big brother. Manufacturers wanting to increase market share fine, build cheaper cars but not when they dilute their brand by churning out models for Barbie & Ken, hairdressers and the like which do not meet a high minimum standard. Then they lose their prestige.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

AudiChris wrote: »
    So to define a brand Prestigious (I probably should have said Premium for the purposes of the question) the following qualities are important:

Price - has to be out of the reach of most people
    Purity - has to be single minded, if you spread it too thin over small and big, quick and slow you dilute the brand
    Quality - has to be demonstrably high quality
    Exclusivity - everyone can't have one (a component of price, I guess)
    Cool - people must aspire to it, it can't be considered exclusive just because nobody wants one

Am I missing anything?

Seems to be it in a but shell. Better way of saying what i tried to:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Out of that list, to me a "prestige" car would be Mercs, Porsche, Land Rover, Lexus and Jag's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

prestige is

Aston Martin
    Maserati
    Ferrari
    Lamborghini
    Porsche
    Bugatti
    Bentely
    Rolls Royce
    Bugatti
    AMG Mercs
    M series BMWs

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Merc and jaguars, maybe volvos.

But when audi became or VW? VW allways had a label: "people car".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

siralfalot wrote: »
    VW, BMW, Merc, all common as muck, every chav on the street can have one if he/she wants, how can what is so common be regarded as prestigious??:confused:
    not one of the cars on that list would be what I would regard as prestigious

Rolls Royce
    Bentley
    Maybach
    Porsche
    Ferrari
    Maserati
    Lamborghini
    etc etc.........

now those are prestigious cars :cool:

Ferrari, Porsche, Maserati and Lambo's are all common as muck where I live. I think it depends more on the Model of the car rather than the make.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Who the hell voted for Mini :pac::pac::pac:

In that case, why isn't Suzuki on the list...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

craichoe wrote: »
    Ferrari, Porsche, Maserati and Lambo's are all common as muck where I live. I think it depends more on the Model of the car rather than the make.

Do you have one of each as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Who the hell voted for Mini :pac::pac::pac:

In that case, why isn't Suzuki on the list...

I figured, because MINI are part of the BMW stable and would be considered a premium supermini, that I'd leave it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Well I see Porche's and Maseratis every day on my commute to work but they are still prestige cars. Ferrari and Lambo, I don't view as prestige, I view them as cars for 'rich chavs', probably because of footballers and American hip-hop artists.

Maybach is truly prestige as are Rolls and Bentley. For the purposes of everyday models, the likes of Audi, BMW, Jags, Mercs and LExus are definitely a step above Ford, Honda, Renault, Fiat etc and I suppose could be classed as 'everyday prestige' :D

AudiChris wrote: »
    I figured, because MINI are part of the BMW stable and would be considered a premium supermini, that I'd leave it in.

By the same logic we have Masserati/Fiat, Jaguar/Tata, Bentley/Seat...

I was more surprised that 3 people voted for it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Maybach is truly prestige

No, Maybach is the worst in tasteless conspicuous consumption, no class at all. Even a regular big Mercedes is classier than a Maybach.

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Do you have one of each as well?

How is that relevant ?
    I Walk/Cycle/Tram/Train/ICE around where i live :)
    Was thinking a BMW 325D Coupe for long Journeys when i start to do them, I drive simply to drive because its comfortable and i like it, not how it looks to other people.

• Advertisement

Zube wrote: »
    No, Maybach is the worst in tasteless conspicuous consumption, no class at all. Even a regular big Mercedes is classier than a Maybach.

This is precicesly what makes this Prestige...

... Prestige has little to do with taste.

Common as muck? Is there 10 lambo's within a 2 mile radius of your house?

... Prestige has little to do with taste.

I disagree. If you look like a complete wazzock getting out of it, it's not prestige.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭35notout

BMW's are not prestige anymore (although BMW owners would like to think so!)

The 3 series and dreaded 1 series turned into the Mondeo of the on-the-road sales people in recent years which did the brand damage.

An M5 or M6 are still presitge, even the M3 and 6 series, but the huge amounts of 3 series on the road just make them everyday cars now IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

The only cars I think that are prestigious are cars not generally owned by footballers and rappers, examples would be Volvo's and Saab's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Do you live in Monanco yea :rolleyes:

Ageed that Ferrari, Porsche, Maserati seem to be a regular spot these days but there's about 10 lambos in the whole country, if even.

Biro wrote: »
    Common as muck? Is there 10 lambo's within a 2 mile radius of your house?

Easily, All around Noordeinde in the Hague. Alot with Consulate Diplomatique plates too :)

I don't think cost has anything to do with prestige tbh.

Zube wrote: »
    I disagree. If you look like a complete wazzock getting out of it, it's not prestige.

Most people who own 'so called' prestige brands are (to use your terminology) wazzocks. I realise you may have some delusional image in your head of you getting out of a Bentley Continental with a dolly bird on one arm and paparazzi flashing as you get to the door of the Shelbourne. But the reality is that the kind of guy who owns that car has made a fortune in selling cheap cloths that he buys in some dodgy warehouse in Birmingham.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

It's important to define prestige before answering this question, I think there have been many variants of prestige so far in this thread. Also I think a car can be prestigious & yet not exclusive at the same time, anyone agree? I think this is where Mercedes, Land Rover & BMW fall into.
    Finally I think Toyota have done an excellent job of convincing the market that a re-badged Toyota is a prestige model (Lexus). Don't get me wrong, Toyota's make a quality product, but is it prestige? It's more of a reliable work horse.

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This

pres·tige Audio Help /prɛˈstiʒ, -ˈstidʒ/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[pre-steezh, -steej] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
    –noun
    1. reputation or influence arising from success, achievement, rank, or other favourable attributes.
    2. distinction or reputation attaching to a person or thing and thus possessing a cachet for others or for the public: The new discothèque has great prestige with the jet set.
    –adjective
    3. having or showing success, rank, wealth, etc.

• Advertisement

Most people who own 'so called' prestige brands are (to use your terminology) wazzocks.

But we are talking about the car. A Bentley makes an illiterate Premier League knob look a bit better, because it still has some prestige. A Maybach would make Tony O'Reilly look like a pillock, because it's got none.

Advertisement