Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Prestige Marques - What Constitues Prestige?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

The new discothèque has great prestige with the jet set.

My walnut veneer telephone is entirely wireless!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Zube wrote: »
    But we are talking about the car. A Bentley makes an illiterate Premier League knob look a bit better, because it still has some prestige. A Maybach would make Tony O'Reilly look like a pillock, because it's got none.

johnny Rogan has a Maybach & it certainly has an heir of prestige. It is certainly a symbol of power and achievement with him...

You may not like the car, the brand or what it represents. But it is prestigious...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Something isn't prestigious if it does not command a certain level of respect on the owner by a third party. Not just based on envy or vanity.

You might respect a persons achievement in their field but not think much of them as a person themselves. So it is a lesser kind of prestige.

And I'd think far more of a captain of industry in a pre VW Bentley like a Turbo R or Continental than a Maybach.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

TomMc wrote: »
    And I'd think far more of a captain of industry in a pre VW Bentley like a Turbo R or Continental than a Maybach.

You see this is the nub of it. Prestige is all about the perception of the viewer. I think more of the Maybach than some old piece of junk pre-VW Bentley even though I like the old piece of junk pre-VW Bentley's. :)

No, Maybach is the worst in tasteless conspicuous consumption, no class at all. Even a regular big Mercedes is classier than a Maybach.
    I completely disagree with you but we'll agree to disagree. ;)
    I disagree. If you look like a complete wazzock getting out of it, it's not prestige.
    One mans wazzock is another mans...whatever the opposite-of-a-wazzock is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

So in conclusion, no one agrees on anything. Prestige doesn't exist at all, as it has too many variables.
    And the big findings of this poll are that Atari Jaguar are a more prestigeus brand than Toyota, who don't have any prestige at all. Despite the fact that no one or their neighbour owns a Toyota F1 car!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Biro wrote: »
    So in conclusion, no one agrees on anything. Prestige doesn't exist at all, as it has too many variables.
    Actually I would say that we all agree that prestige is subjective, much like taste in cars in general.

Nobody or their neighbour owns any F1 car but they don't have prestige in my view. They are a motorsports tool, nothing else.

r3nu4l wrote: »
    You see this is the nub of it. Prestige is all about the perception of the viewer. I think more of the Maybach than some old piece of junk pre-VW Bentley even though I like the old piece of junk pre-VW Bentley's. :)

Ah well .......

but your right about perceptions - after all skangers think those pink limos are prestigious.

As an aside,
    I remember a doctor in my area who loves cars, many years ago he had a Saab 900 Turbo, he now drives a Civic Hybrid. Another cowboy businessman who use to drive an XR3i, now a Maserati. Professional types or people with social status have no real need for these symbols of success. Where as those with none or merely businessmen need something that panders to conspicuous consumption to make pretensions. Bertie Ahern can drive around in a Maybach but he is still a yesterdays man. He only has prestige amid his cronies. For me a Fiat Multipla with Angelina and her babies on board has more prestige. It is all about the occupant and the car should complement their persona & character, not try and compensate for the lack of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Johnny Rogan has a Maybach & it certainly has an heir of prestige. It is certainly a symbol of power and achievement with him...

You may not like the car, the brand or what it represents. But it is prestigious...
    It's johnny Ronan...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

steve06 wrote: »
    It's johnny Ronan...

No it's not it's Johnny Logan!:D

I know you mean Treasury Holdings....

It's johnny Ronan...

Sorry, I thought he spelled his name with a capital J. I'll change my original post...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Sorry, I thought he spelled his name with a capital J. I'll change my original post...
    no smart arse, you got his whole name wrong.... Johnny Ronan, not "Johnny Rogan"

no smart arse, you got his whole name wrong.... Johnny Ronan, not "Johnny Rotten"

You missed my witticism...

... If you are going to correct peoples spelling, you should try to get your punctuation correct or you end up looking like a twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭35notout

Johnny Logan in a Maybach :D

No Johnny Wogan in a Renault Logan.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

35notout wrote: »
    Johnny Logan in a Maybach :D

.......eating a Big Mac!

oh hold me now!

Wonder what he does drive? Second thoughts I don't care!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

There's a fair few on that list that aren't prestige (aside from the pisstakes like Honda, Citroen etc) are Audi, Lexus, BMW and Mercedes - every man and his dog and dog groomer and dog groomer's cleaner has one now.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,441 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Just noticed that at this stage every brand in the poll is deemed to be prestige by someone out there. Maybe I should make the poll public :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

unkel wrote: »
    Just noticed that at this stage every brand in the poll is deemed to be prestige by someone out there. Maybe I should make the poll public :D

Name and shame, Unkel!! :D

Advertisement