Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

HPI Check?

Options
  • 12-08-2008 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65,441 ✭✭✭✭
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Do UK MOTs update the mileage database? A quick google wasn't conclusive. From the HPI website it is clear that HPI do not guarantee the mileage in their reports. I thought MOTs did update the database, but a recent thread about a clocked car makes me believe MOTs don't.

Does anyone know what exactly updates the database that the HPI uses?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

TBH the only way to verify mileage is the old fashioned way, with confirming the SH with the dealers. IMO HPI is only handy for telling you about accidents/finance etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,441 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Anyone know any more about the database entries?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

I dont have conclusive answers to how HPI gathers its mileage data.

Speaking from the POV of a person that has hpi'd 1000's of vehicles.
    They dont match up MOT data at all , rather they rely on dealers and auctions entering the data every time its "hpi'd". Which some do , most dont.

You can request an NMR investigation (national mileage register) in addition to hpi check - this costs extra and should be provided with a paper trail.
    The best checks anyone can do are to verify every stamp on the history and speak to the previous owner.

Remember rough people and rough cars often go together - simple bit of advice that keeps me right in the "trade".

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

From our history checker inside, the DVLA seem to be the only ones who take record of mileage, i'm sure this is through dealers etc. Also alot of them would have a mileage on entry to ireland etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

From our history checker inside, the DVLA seem to be the only ones who take record of mileage, i'm sure this is through dealers etc. Also alot of them would have a mileage on entry to ireland etc.

Every DVLA sheet section that records mileage is voluntary - I dont know anyone who fills it in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Churchy wrote: »
    Every DVLA sheet section that records mileage is voluntary - I dont know anyone who fills it in.

Maybe so, but what my point was any that i have seen have been from the DVLA and the likes.

Advertisement