Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has it ever just worked?

Options
  • 12-08-2008 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone had the good fortune to build a pc that just worked when you put it all together? Every computer I've assembled has been a pain in the whole to get working.

Whatever happened to plug and play?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Your doing something wrong then. 99% of the machines I build are fine when you remove broken hardware out of the equation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Rare in my experience, but where would be the fun in that? :) Normally something simple though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

ScumLord wrote: »
    Has anyone had the good fortune to build a pc that just worked when you put it all together? Every computer I've assembled has been a pain in the whole to get working.

Whatever happened to plug and play?

First pc was trouble free the first time switching it on.

My shuttle box I built after it was nigh on perfect bar the fact they didn't include the proper drives for network card on the drivers disk and I had to download that sperately.

I did help build a pc for my mate and it wnet perfect.

Rarely have I had a show stopping bug/dead hardware.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I had a problem once after a build where the damn thing wouldn't recognise my keyboard and mouse. It didn't take too long to fix though seeing as the only problem was that they weren't actually connected to the computer. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Always tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I've had 2 hds were DOA. A Raptor had the "click of death" as soon as I plugged it in. I built a pc for young fella few weeks ago, took about a week of intermittent problems to realise the HD was knackered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭WillieDH

Rarely had any problems, you must be doing something basic wrong all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

mr static i am blow up everything i touch :mad:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

That's strange. Normally I get the non-problematic build.
    Like when nobody is looking for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

no never, only thing i could see people having probs with are the power/jumper connectors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Always worked fine for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

There's always something with mine, in the sense it's not plug and play.

My current work pc won't take some drivers, USB2 isn't working sound isn't working, what's worse is the company that makes it didn't provide proper drivers (ECS) although I'm working from a repaired windows install so I could keep my software as I've lost many of the disks.

My home PC wouldn't work until I went messing with timings and still can't reboot without a 30 minute rest.

The last work pc I had needed sata drivers to be installed before I could even begin to install windows.

Actually I had two PCs that did work. One was a shuttle that I mutilated and killed on my own steam trying to put a proper graphics card in it.

Still though, PCs where easier to work with than the current batch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

There's always something with mine, in the sense it's not plug and play.

My current work pc won't take some drivers, USB2 isn't working sound isn't working, what's worse is the company that makes it didn't provide proper drivers (ECS) although I'm working from a repaired windows install so I could keep my software as I've lost many of the disks.

Find out what the chips are and just download the drivers from somewhere else. USB being broken is a hardware fault, rarely if ever see Windows error on it. If its not drivers then the soundcard is blown as well, happens quite often.
    My home PC wouldn't work until I went messing with timings and still can't reboot without a 30 minute rest.

The last work pc I had needed sata drivers to be installed before I could even begin to install windows.

Cold boot problem? Definate bios issue, did you try to update it?

Most work images don't even have the basic sata drivers on board. But most work machines(except very recent ones) can be set to falseify a IDE channel signal for Windows install.
    Actually I had two PCs that did work. One was a shuttle that I mutilated and killed on my own steam trying to put a proper graphics card in it.

Still though, PCs where easier to work with than the current batch.

Anybody who has built pc's kills parts at one stage. I find the most problems with hardware are because you bought cheap gear thats rubbish or you bought really expensive gear thats untested. Mid range never lets me down.

I will agree about machines being easer to work with though. Just moved a old hp Pentium 133 server. I could open it up and sit inside the chassy. Now thats easy access.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Find out what the chips are and just download the drivers from somewhere else. USB being broken is a hardware fault, rarely if ever see Windows error on it. If its not drivers then the soundcard is blown as well, happens quite often.
    It works just not in USB 2 mode. I can't be arsed with it anymore I've gotten it to a working state and will probably just do a clean install at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I had a problem once after a build where the damn thing wouldn't recognise my keyboard and mouse. It didn't take too long to fix though seeing as the only problem was that they weren't actually connected to the computer. :o

I had the same problem (although both were plugged in via USB) with my PC I rebuilt last week (PSU blew so had to replace PSU, M/B, memory, CPU, Cooler etc. Used it as an excuse to upgrade the graphics card too). Keyboard would refuse to work so that I could boot from a CD to reinstall winblows. Could get in to the BIOS no bother though... wierd. Luckily I already had windows installed on the HD (wanted to do a clean install as there was loads of crap on it). ABit (IP35 I think) being a nice motherboard, had the ability to flash the bios from windows. I downloaded the latest firmware, installed it and hey presto my keyboard and mouse worked so I could boot from the CD and do a fresh install of windblows.

I have since cranked up my Q6600 to 3 ghz and running it with a 4850 so I'm happy.

Apart from that little hiccup, once I hooked every up after about 2 hours of putting it all together, the PC powered up first time. I was a bit worried with hooking up the power switch from case to motherboard, ensuring I had the connections right (the motherboard didn't come with one of those handy plastic blocks where you could hook the various plugs in to (hd led, power, speaker etc)).

Building PC's is a good laugh. Just like mechano.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

My current rig was a nightmare at first... then I realised that I had to flash the ABIT BIOS in order to get it to boot properly... ridiculous that they shipped motherboards like that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Luckily I've never built a machine that didn't work, in terms of a new machine. Of course, I've had a few problem when piecing together machines from old/spare parts, but that always boils down to broken hardware rather then user error in assembling.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

yeah 99% here too only major problems i had was once i thought i had everything connected up right but i forgot the 2nd power cable for the motherboard, duh

Advertisement