Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Novice Problem : i see the car i want from cargiant but....

Options
  • 12-08-2008 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

ok - i spotted the car i want on car giant . Ticks all the boxes i want. So far so good.Looks/ sounds the business

i rang car giant to suss out if i could get AA or RAC to inspect the vehicle.

they want €400 deposit (paid in person) to hold the car for 7 days and organise aa/rac to inspect vehicle. I will only get my money back if there is something majorly wrong with the car. that would mean i have to go over and have a quick look and see that its the car for me and then proceed with the vehicle inspection but id have to come back over to england after it was finished to collect the car a week later (more expense) or simply if i didnt want /like the results lose €400.

Its just done its MOT, but last service was over 25,000 miles ago so i know it needs a service. I am far from Johnny Mechanic when it comes to cars so
    am i crazy to head over , give it my own look over , test drive it etc and place my trust in the 114 point mechanical/safety check and recent MOT ???????

fcuk sake - nothings ever straight forward

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Never, ever make a long and expensive journey just to see one car.

Search and shortlist 3 or 4, incase all is not 100% with the 1st one. Book a return flight too, and if you are not totally happy fly home.

Cargiant have loads and loads of good cars. Not worth leaving a deposit imho.

p.s. 25,000 miles sounds like a good bit between services. Is this normal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

templar01 wrote: »
    ok - i spotted the car i want on car giant . Ticks all the boxes i want. So far so good.Looks/ sounds the business

they want €400 deposit (paid in person) to hold the car for 7 days and organise aa/rac to inspect vehicle. I will only get my money back if there is something majorly wrong with the car. that would mean i have to go over and have a quick look and see that its the car for me and then proceed with the vehicle inspection but id have to come back over to england after it was finished to collect the car a week later (more expense) or simply if i didnt want /like the results lose €400.

Its just done its MOT, but last service was over 25,000 miles ago so i know it needs a service. I am far from Johnny Mechanic when it comes to cars so
    am i crazy to head over , give it my own look over , test drive it etc and place my trust in the 114 point mechanical/safety check and recent MOT ???????

You're flying over to another country to buy a car to save yourself presumably a good few bob - don't complain about the complexities!
    It's not as simple as too many Irish believe, wander over with a wad of sterling in the pocket, nod like a dope at the seller and hand over the cash and drive to the boat. That'll only land you back a dud (or a far bigger chance of one).
    2 trips is a far more effecient way of doing it. Flights cost feck all anyway. Bring a deposit amount. Fly over. Look at as many as you can, then fly back home. You're still in control of the deal, you put a deposit on something that takes your fancy, then when you're home you have the reg of it to do your HPI check, organise an RAC or AA check (I think RAC is more respected over there, not sure), and you also have time to arrange your flight and ferry for collection as well as insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

p.s. 25,000 miles sounds like a good bit between services. Is this normal?
    Good question.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 templar01

ah i wasn't complaining about the complexities of purchasing etc i was just exclaiming that anything i do never works out as it should :D

I think your advice though would seem prudent. If i tried to pack all this into one trip then i know i'd feck up . If i didnt like the car then i'd start feeling like i'd have to go home with something !! patience isnt a virtue

so as per your advice i think i'll
    1. head over and take a look at what car giant has to offer and other cars nearby.
    2.If i like the look and feel of one then put down the £400 to hold the car for a week and get rac/aa check.
    3. If happy go back and collect it - extra cost may be worth it
    4. If nothing catches my fancy on first trip then no harm done i guess.

ya - car has 48755 miles up and one and only service was 22608.so i guess its rightly due one.

thanks for taking the time to read the post. Any more advice from anyone is more than appreciated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Sounds like it was not well maintained. i would imagine the most a car would go between services would be 20K miles.

Remember it is in miles not Km that you might be thinking of here.

if the person is not prepared to service the car, what other abuse has it sufferred.

What make / model is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 templar01

its an a4, 2005. 2.0 tdi se version.
    i was thinking that maybe because of only one service it hadn't given a lot of trouble ? Maybe the guy was able to change the filters etc handily enough himself - anyway thats just speculation on my part. A fuller service history might indicate the car has had problems but i agree it is something thats nagging me a bit. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

its an a4, 2005. 2.0 tdi se version...... A fuller service history might indicate the car has had problems but i agree it is something thats nagging me a bit. :confused:

A 2005 car should have manufacturers recommended service intervals, if not it's been owned by a tool :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Biro wrote: »
    It's not as simple as too many Irish believe, wander over with a wad of sterling in the pocket, nod like a dope at the seller and hand over the cash and drive to the boat.

Never been to Cargiant then? Because that's exactly how it's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

25000 miles between services is most unusual in the UK where most owners tend to look after their cars properly. I'd look elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There are thousands of A4 diesels for sale in the UK, why settle for one with a patchy service history?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

cargiant are very reputable - I know a few people who have bought cars from them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

try:

www.allapprovedcars.com

I purchased my A4 from a main dealer who uses this site in the UK 2 years ago. Most of the main dealers in the UK use this site to advertise.

I have also been to cargiant.It's a very well ran establishmnet and has a very good name in the London area.My friends who live in London have purchased 2 cars off them down through the years with no problems.

Best of luck whatever you decide to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

hmmm, lets do some maths for a second.. 25,000 miles at roughly 60 mph... depending where he lives or where he drove.... if thats motorway mileage its boarder line ok.... but for me, it would be unless im absolutely busy as hell id do it at 20k but id generally do it earlier...

make sure its all not city miles either... if it is, don't touch it with a barge poll as it will have been at red lights and ambers all day long...

Now, justify that clear fact >.<

Advertisement