Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A bicycle for every occasion

Options
  • 12-08-2008 4:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

I’m realy getting into the cycling commuting and even sold my moped so there’s no going back.
    Commute on a Trek 1200 which is locked with two heavy motorcycles chains in work. It won’t be touched as hardly anyone in this underground car park secures their bike. :confused:

However, I was thinking I always used my moped to go to shops and I wouldn’t dream of bringing the Trek 1200 to my nearest shopping centre.
    And I’m not realy able to cycle home with a bag of shopping and a 10kg motorcycle chain on my back.

So folks, do you have racing bikes for your boards spins or training and whatever you do and cheap runaround bikes to commute or maybe store at train stations?

I’d imagine owning a bike for different purposes is common. Not seen a thread on this before, just interested to know :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

I have a Trek 1000 which i use as my winter training bike and my Look 565 as my summer training and race bike. Will more than likely be getting another Look next summer maybe a TT bike or a road bike just for races

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

Road bike for cycling and fixie for short journeys eg. mates house shops gym as all you need is a u lock to secure it with there being no quick release on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Lilphich

I used to have my Giant Bowery Fixie for shopping and short trips. I've now sold it and use my racing bike most of the time.

I found the fixie was great to get around as I just had toe clips on it. It's a bit more hassle now with the racing bike, but I find I'm not in the shopping centre too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

You have intrepreted the expression wrong.

its *A* bike for every occasion as in a different bike for every occasion, not the same one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Have a Kona Paddy Wagon Single Speed/Fixed (depending on my mood) that I use 90% of the time for bombing around town, shops, commuting etc, and my Road bike for longer training spins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

After having four halfway-decent hybrids stolen in the space of two years I came to value the idea of a "hack" bike for leaving in dodgy situations. I'd be OK leaving my racer outside a shop if I was just popping in but going into town where I might be away from the bike for an extended period, no way.

My "hack" is also conveniently set up with rack and mudguards so is good for shopping, etc.

I'm currently at 5:

Focus Cayo (road racer)
    Van Nicholas Amazon (tourer)
    Specialized Sirrus converted to drops (commuter/ex-tourer)
    Dawes Discovery (hack hybrid, actually a perfectly decent bike but not too attractive to thieves)
    Giant Bowery (fixed/singlespeed)

TBH of all the above the Sirrus is starting to look slightly unnecessary, the Bowery is looking great for commuting (only issue would be the lack of a rack.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I have two bikes - LaPierre road and Specialized Sirrus hybrid. I wouldn't store any at a train station or similar location for a long period.

If I had to cycle to the supermarket for the weekly shop I'd bring a big rucksack and probably the Sirrus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

I have a Scott SUB 10 hybrid for commuting and a Giant MCR for the odd race.
    Have been seriously thinking of a road bike for more serious spins (and the odds boardsie spin would be nice) but haven't justified it to myself yet...

No fixed outgoings (apart from the OH!) although I play football and run so it's more of a time constraint, also back to p/t college in Sept (only for 4 months).

I need convincing here people!

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭MadHatter

christeb wrote: »
    I need convincing here people!

No you don't, you're already convinced, you just need an excuse to sell it to the OH ;)

Two bikes myself. Hybrid for commute and road bike for weekend. Shopping is done with the car, as I'd struggle to fit the box of nappies on the rear rack.

Have been informed (in no uncertain terms!) that another bike will not be coming into the house :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

I have my fixed gear for all purpose use, even used to go on training spins on it until I got my road bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

blorg wrote: »
    I'm currently at 5:

Focus Cayo (road racer)
    Van Nicholas Amazon (tourer)
    Specialized Sirrus converted to drops (commuter/ex-tourer)
    Dawes Discovery (hack hybrid, actually a perfectly decent bike but not too attractive to thieves)
    Giant Bowery (fixed/singlespeed)

Man, where do you find space to store all those? Like the sound of having so many options available but I currently use my road bike for commuting and fitness cycles though I do have an old Lappiere SubAlloy 590 which served me well when I used it for commuting. I kept it as the girlfriend said she would use it (but never has). Half thinking of selling it as I won't use it much if at all, though if there was a situation where I had to cycle someplace where it would be dodgy to leave a bike, I'd prefer to risk that than my road bike.

The Bowery is a new addition to the stable just this week. Currently I have two at work in the underground car park, two at home in the hall and one that shuttles between the two :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I have two at the moment

- Surly Cross Check
    - Dahon Smooth Hound

Use the Dahon most, have no issues locking it for extended periods. The Cross Check is for longer spins though I use it to run to the shops the odd time too. Third bike coming at the end of this month. I also have a broken Dahon Speed D7 that I really must get around to fixing....

What's the third bike, penexpers? Top Secret?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

I have an Orbita for leisurely cruises and a Schwinn beachcruiser for an even more leisurely cruise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I have:

- a Winter/sometimes commuter/holiday bike Trek 1000 '06
    - a Specialized Ruby Pro '08 carbon bike for racing and summer spin
    - a very crappy compared to the 2 above Halford MTB for going to places where my good bikes are at risk ... that I am planning to sell before the end of the summer...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

I have 3:
    Cube Streamer 07, road bike for long spins/mountains
    Giant Bowery- recently acquired, for commuting and long, flattish spins
    Old MTB hack with slicks, my ex-commuter. I use this if I ever have to leave the bike locked in town overnight. The rest of the time it's locked to a railing outside my house. Funny, the rain hasn't killed it yet :D

It's funny to me how I ended up with 3 bikes, slightly less amusing to my other half. :) I bought the Streamer for both commuting and longer spins. But then I found I wasn't bringing it into work as I wanted to keep it in tip top condition for those long spins. So I started using my old mtb again for commuting, but I found hopping onto that after the road bike a real pain, and started to hate my commute on it, so I realised a fixed gear road bike was what I needed, low maintenance, drops, light and fast. Much hilarity ensued (by hilarity I mean bewilderment) as I tried to explain this reasoning to my girlfriend, especially as the road bike was sharing our living room.

Bicycle shed for the back yard is the next purchase...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Check out the wiki gallery to see peoples stables!

Beater/Commuter singlespeed bike which is causing trouble of late
    120px-Banana.JPG

and a mountain bike, which is too large for moi, but does the job.
    120px-Rockhopper.jpg

I would like to buy a road bike, but that'll have to wait til next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭dmigsy

I have a Cannondale Touring Classic 08, for touring, strangely enough. Just bought a Charge Plug for commuting and farting around on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

I have a Battaglin Vortex with Campag Record- top superlight summer dry day bike.
    A Sintesi alu with Campag Chorus - more a winter/ wet days bike, but no mudguards on it yet
    A Trek 8500 bonded alu hard tail, all shimano XT, getting on a few years now but bullet proof. great for the really mucky stuff, streams etc
    I'm still building a Massi Z Carbon hardtail - lightweight carbon mtb with mostly xtr. Want to use that as a summer off roader - forest trails etc...
    An old peugeot 501 steel frame racer, which I'm thinking of turning into a fixie, just for hacking around
    An old Diamond Back steel mtb - to be reassembled as a full time hacker/ going for the paper...
    Would like a cyclocross project to start sometime next year perhaps? Don't have a use for it yet!
    Wouldn't mind a tourer also....for that cycle across Europe project :-)

• Advertisement

fish-head wrote: »
    What's the third bike, penexpers? Top Secret?
    Hope penexpers doesn't mind me linking to the original thread. The rear hub alone weighs 4kg :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I have four at the moment.

A perfectly good road bike, which is in pieces in one of the bedrooms. I used to use that for events and training. The plan is to use it during winter.
    A fixie for commuting.
    A new road bike which replaced the other perfectly good one. I'm hoping to keep that one for the summer, such as it is.
    A mountain bike which I have donated to my dad to get him into shape. I don't mountain bike anymore, not that I was ever any good at it.

blorg wrote: »
    Hope penexpers doesn't mind me linking to the original thread. The rear hub alone weighs 4kg :eek:

Oh yeah! I remember now.. I can't wait to see that.

Advertisement