Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Berb, Do we want him to stay ?

Options
  • 12-08-2008 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Allegedly £28mill is how much United are willing to fork out for him. True or false lets work off theory for the moment. If this is true which we will assume it is for arguments sake would YOU be happy to see the back of him?

For me the answer requires no thought what so ever. Yes I would and for the following reasons :

1) What a profit to turn over for a player that cost us £10.9mill and for his age as by the time united are finished with him he will have little or no resale.

2) Part of me can't help but feel he is mostly to blame for our poor start and finish to the season not due to his ability but his moral sucking attitude.

3) His behaviour has been shocking on the pitch. I like the way that he has not created a personal media circus around him with shrewd vague comments to the media but he really hasn't had to. His pitch efforts have said it all. Even though Robbie left, if he were in the same situation as the Berb he would still be giving it his all every time.

I realise this is a boring topic for most and while I respect the previous efforts and enjoyable moments he has provided for us all AND I haven't the foggiest who we would replace him with (Arshavin looks equally as moody and prima dona) I feel his time has come. Should he remain a Spurs player for next season I can't help but feel it would be by default. I could not get behind him as I have done in seasons past. For me it would be goodbye and good riddence.

COYS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

Allegedly £28mill is how much United are willing to fork out for him. True or false lets work off theory for the moment. If this is true which we will assume it is for arguments sake would YOU be happy to see the back of him?

For me the answer requires no thought what so ever. Yes I would and for the following reasons :

1) What a profit to turn over for a player that cost us £10.9mill and for his age as by the time united are finished with him he will have little or no resale.

2) Part of me can't help but feel he is mostly to blame for our poor start and finish to the season not due to his ability but his moral sucking attitude.

3) His behaviour has been shocking on the pitch. I like the way that he has not created a personal media circus around him with shrewd vague comments to the media but he really hasn't had to. His pitch efforts have said it all. Even though Robbie left, if he were in the same situation as the Berb he would still be giving it his all every time.

I realise this is a boring topic for most and while I respect the previous efforts and enjoyable moments he has provided for us all AND I haven't the foggiest who we would replace him with (Arshavin looks equally as moody and prima dona) I feel his time has come. Should he remain a Spurs player for next season I can't help but feel it would be by default. I could not get behind him as I have done in seasons past. For me it would be goodbye and good riddence.

COYS

Agreed. Levy has already said that Berbatov has expressed his wish to leave. Making him stay means Spurs paying a big wage to someone who frankly doesn't give a sh1t about playing for the club. I say screw Man U for every penny we can for Berbatov and take that cash and get some other good players before the transfer window closes.

My only fear is that whoever is bought will just use Spurs as a one season Premiership acclimatisation club before moving to a big 4 club, which is regrettable. I'd love to believe the rumours about David Villa and Spurs but I think them pretty unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 NickyK

As I said regarding Keane, if a club wants to pay that sort of money let them. Berba obviously wants to go, so as long as we get 25 million minimum it's fine with me. Daniel Levy should be applauded for his contribution since taking over.
    Who we get as a replacement is another matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I'm in two minds over this matter 1st there's the argument that if we truly wish to join the top 4 then we NEED to hold onto players of his Quality
    the other point being he's just simply a Sulk.

If we could push the 30m out of whoever although reports are stating we are playing serious hardball and demanding 37m i would say snap their arm off taking the money and try sign a player on 2/3rd's his quality but double his attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭One-Day-Juande

Personally I'd prefer to see him stay. I really think that the team as a whole is tightening up and we need a quality player like berbs in that set-up. If he doesn't get his transfer but we get off to a decent start in the season, I'd be fairly confident that his mood would improve. In fairness, if we sell him now we'll be cutting it fairly tight to find a decent replacement.

That said, they have to make sure that he goes for a good price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I just wish united would get it over with and we could all move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Has Barcelona's interest completely waned? I'd like to think that 2 seasons out of him would be worth at least 30 million to us with the amount of service he will have on the pitch now.

F*ck United unsettling our prize player. If they want him now we should make them pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭heartofwhite

I say let him go. If a player does not want to be at a club anymore then there is no sense in keeping him. I have to agree that his attitude must of had some effect on the morale of the rest of the team and this is unacceptable. We need players that are proud to wear the shirt and who will give 110% for the team. Berba cant do that anymore. I will always be thankful of the goals that he has scored and forever thankful for that converted penalty in the Carling Cup final and it is with some sadness that I say goodbye.

I just wish that he was going to a club outside of England! It is going to be hard to watch both himself and Keane playing for other teams against us. But hey it is what it is. I just hope that we have the time and the ability to bring in a vey good striker to replace Berba before the transfer window closes. If we can do that I will quite happy. Times are changing at Spurs and I think that Ramos and Co know what they are doing so that suits me!

I think the writing is on the wall for him now it on the radio that UTD are gonna tie up the deal by the end of the week if that means they are going to match our asking price then so be it,

For 32m odd i think its well within our range to track a very good replacement down in the two weeks and with two of our highest earners gone then wages shouldn't really pose a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭cxcully

Let him go for 28 mill.From what I've been reading from the preseason games his attitude has been a disgrace.It's a job like any other and if you or I behaved like that at our workplace we wouldn't be long gone.Shows real disrespect to your colleagues.
    Some magic moments (goal behind his back against Reading and Van Bastenesque effort against the Gooners being my favourites) and the best first touch I've ever seen but has to go for that cash.....

Anybody reckon that once Keane and Berbatov are separated they won't be the same players? We all know they had an amazing partnership and perhaps with different strike partners they won't be as good.
    Any input on who the replacements should be?

• Advertisement

NickyK wrote: »
    Anybody reckon that once Keane and Berbatov are separated they won't be the same players? We all know they had an amazing partnership and perhaps with different strike partners they won't be as good.

This is a very good point, i remember more then once in the last couple of years when keane was on the bench and berba was playing with defore or bent he wasn't the same player at all and as soon as robbie came on berbe was more in the game.

TBH i think robbie will shine with torres given the chance to settle and berbe has an air of cantona about him in that i cant see fergie taking his **** for one minute and he'll prob get the best out of it.

Slighty off topic but i think that berba might be worth a few quid as top scorer in champions league seeing as he did o well for us in europe last year and that the teams up untill the semi-final can be very very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

NickyK wrote: »
    I think you could be right about berbs and keane that they might not hit it off with new strike partners,and a small part of me kinda hope they don't ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ruiseal

tippspur wrote: »
    I think you could be right about berbs and keane that they might not hit it off with new strike partners,and a small part of me kinda hope they don't ;)

Does anybody else feel this way? I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭gerrytack@hotma

ruiseal wrote: »
    to put the two into the same bracket is very unfair on Keane.i was gutted when he went like a lot of people but do you really think he would have acted like Sulkytov if he did not get his move.i'd like to think he would have put in a proper effort ,for the fans and for his own self respect.As regards Sulkytov,the sooner they tear the Spurs shirt off his back the better,i can't stand his behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

ruiseal wrote: »

Yes, Id love to see Bent score more goals than both of them this season, but to be honest they are both top notch players, they wont have a problem scoring goals for Liverpool and Manyoo respectively, and to be honest Berba is 12/1 for top scorer, when he goes to manyoo, he will prob be 4/1, so get on now.

Agree totally that you can't fault a player for wanting to better himself for footballing reasons and as Spurs fans you'd think we'd be able to accept it , but you can critise players for their attitude. Barbatov and his agent have acted like total d**ks whereas Keane's situation was only made public by Daniel Levy. Good luck to both of them but I think Levy wanted to sell whilst still saving face with the fans.

Am a bit worried about who we'll replace them with though, Etoo, Villa and Huntelaar are all beyond THFC so it looks like Santa Cruz or Ashton with Arshavin possibly. Personally I think Bent and Ashton would be super together kinda like a young Berbatov and Keane:P

Advertisement