Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quiet Pub in Wicklow street area?

Options
  • 12-08-2008 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hiya,

Going out on a date to a gig in the WEXFORD street area midweek next month (I know this is weeks before it:D but be prepared as they say).

anyway want to meet her before hand for a quiet drink in the wicklow street area- any ideas?

I was thinking Anseo- cause its dark and therefore flattering;) ,but is it quiet in the early evening midweek? Or is there somewhere better?

also post gig in the area? any ideas for good spot to head for another pint?

Cheers for all help and ideas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Anseo is on wexford street, i presume you mean wexford street?

i'd go for solas, although it's a bit hit and miss as to whether it will be busy or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

On Wicklow Street I'd recommend the Library Bar in the Central hotel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

+1 for the Library bar - nice spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

YOKO120 wrote: »
    I was thinking Anseo- cause its dark and therefore flattering;) ,but is it quiet in the early evening midweek? Or is there somewhere better?

Anseo will be pretty quiet early on midweek evenings.

If it is actually Wicklow Street you mean, +1 for the Library bar. It's great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 YOKO120

what about for a late drink midweek in that area as well?

cheers:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Late = Flannery's

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭IRISH RAIL

Library bar

Has that hotel not fallen down yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Solas would be quiet enough midweek pre-gig time...

Anseo would also be a good spot. There is the bleeding horse, cassidys a bit further up, but good 'date' spots when they are quiet.

There is a havana tapas bar up that direction as well. Bit of grub beforehand?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

On Wicklow Street I'd recommend the Library Bar in the Central hotel.
    The Central Hotel is on Exchequer Street, not Wicklow Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

IRISH RAIL wrote: »
    Library bar

Has that hotel not fallen down yet ?

Was in the bar last year IIRC.

Sorry Bluetonic - you're right. On the corner of Exchequer Street and Dame Court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Bluetonic wrote: »
    The Central Hotel is on Exchequer Street, not Wicklow Street.

Well he did ask for the Wicklow Street area and the two roads are joined to each other in the space of a very short distance.

It's a moot point anyway.. as the OP actually meant Wexford Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,936 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

also post gig in the area? any ideas for good spot to head for another pint?

surely you'll be back at her place for a bit of the oul' in-out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Punchbowl

Avoid Flannerys..

The Village for late drinks and good music. Anseo for the beer sleection. Solas for the coolness. Cassidys for some old school 'real' pub action. Carnival for full on gothic horror.

Or even... Upstairs in the Palace.. Amzing Pool hall with beer and decent music.. all within seconds of each other

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Anseo is too smelly for a 1st date. She may think that the rising damp and whiff of urine is coming from you. Cassidy's to check the rack out then off to watch her stretch over the pool tables in the Palace all going good then it's off to Solas to get her sh!t faced. Bag of fish and chips out of Angelos to eat off her back when you fall back to yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 YOKO120

humberklog wrote: »
    Anseo is too smelly for a 1st date. She may think that the rising damp and whiff of urine is coming from you. Cassidy's to check the rack out then off to watch her stretch over the pool tables in the Palace all going good then it's off to Solas to get her sh!t faced. Bag of fish and chips out of Angelos to eat off her back when you fall back to yours.

:D:D

Is anseo that smelly? I was only in it once and I remember it being dark and kinda cool? A bit of an 'aul lads pub maybe- but there the ones I like...but I suppose the fairer sex might not like it as much as I do....

emmmm humberklog that is not the sort of night I had planned for a 'first' date, but cheers for the advice anyway :eek: :Dand anyway have a gig to go to as part of the night....I have a feeling going for something to eat on a 1st date is never a good idea?

is Solas a kind of indie bar?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

:D:D

Is anseo that smelly? I was only in it once and I remember it being dark and kinda cool? A bit of an 'aul lads pub maybe- but there the ones I like...but I suppose the fairer sex might not like it as much as I do....

I have a feeling going for something to eat on a 1st date is never a good idea?

is Solas a kind of indie bar?
    Yep it's only beaten by The International for bang. Good pub though. Upstairs on a wintery night can't be beaten. Not an ol' lads pub at all. Young to late 30's that casn't be bothered scrubbing up for or walking to Solas.
    Never food on a 1st date. Never!
    Solas is and isn't an Indie bar. It's all perspective. Just a decent boozer playing decent tunes. Not smelly. Anseo would be far more Indier in that respect. People wash befor going to solas and the management return that gesture by cleaning their establishment regularly.
    If your looking for a decent ol' lads pub around there you won't get better than Devitts. Smashing pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Lao Lao

humberklog wrote: »

Laughed out loud reading that post :D:D

OP - It's not on Wexford Street but the Long Hall on Georges St is one of the best boozers in Dublin, shuould be fairly quiet early in the evening!

Advertisement