Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New 60GB Xbox

• 12-08-2008 4:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭

Anyone agree with me when I say that surely MS should flog the 60GB harddrives at a concession at least to existing 360 owners with 20GB drives, especially considering that they're not charging any more than the existing 20GB package.
    The REALLY nice thing to do would be for them to straight swap the harddrive for you. But that's never gonna happen.

I'm getting the feeling that this blasted avatar update in the Autumn may need a whole lot more space than previously expected.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

There's a lot of wishful thinking in that - unfortunately I don't see it happening.:o

It's one of those things that just happens with Tech Stuff ... you take a chance knowing it will be outdated at some point in the near future.
    How many people
    • Bought the big clunky PS2 just before the slim one came out?
    • Bought a HD Ready TV, only for the Full HD one to be released months later?
    • Paid a fortune for a DVD Recoreder, only for them to be better specced and cheaper now.
    • Bought pretty much any hardware for the PC, only for it to be outdated almost immediately?

I think the concession you'll get for it, is to buy the 60Gig at full price and flog the 20Gig one on Adverts.ie to an unsuspecting punter who bought an Arcade one :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭mika27

AFAIK Microsoft have not announced that the 60GB drive will be available seperately. But I'm open to correction on that one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

I think the concession you'll get for it, is to buy the 60Gig at full price and flog the 20Gig one on Adverts.ie to an unsuspecting punter who bought an Arcade one :D

Was thinking of that all right, but at the same time, don't wanna do one over on some other poor sod, when we're all being well and truely sh@fted by MS in this regard.

Still think my 360 is great however, just the company surrounding it annoys me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

I bought the 120gig one separately last year. You can only transfer your data over once. Gamestop gave me €23 for my old 20gig one then. But im sure theyll be charging upwards of €100 for the 60gig if it gets released separately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Was thinking of that all right, but at the same time, don't wanna do one over on some other poor sod, when we're all being well and truely sh@fted by MS in this regard.

Still think my 360 is great however, just the company surrounding it annoys me.

How exactly are we getting shafted?
    Its the nature of technology, things improve.
    Some people just love moaning....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    I bought the 120gig one separately last year. You can only transfer your data over once. Gamestop gave me €23 for my old 20gig one then. But im sure theyll be charging upwards of €100 for the 60gig if it gets released separately.

Does the data cable for transferring data come with the 120gb HD? And does the 20gb get wiped after it? I'll probably get the 120gb when the new dashboard arrives so that I can run games from the HD, but they would want to drop their prices, €120 is a bit much for 120gb!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

There's a lot of wishful thinking in that - unfortunately I don't see it happening.:o

It's one of those things that just happens with Tech Stuff ... you take a chance knowing it will be outdated at some point in the near future.
    How many people
    • Bought the big clunky PS2 just before the slim one came out?
    • Bought a HD Ready TV, only for the Full HD one to be released months later?
    • Paid a fortune for a DVD Recoreder, only for them to be better specced and cheaper now.
    • Bought pretty much any hardware for the PC, only for it to be outdated almost immediately?

that's all well and good but microsoft need to stop with the different SKU's. 20gb, elite, arcade, hd-dvd drives and then the bundle packs. it's too confusing for people who just want to buy a machine, and get value for money. people don't know if they're getting value for money with the 360. i worked in xtra-vision at the 360 launch, and this was definitely the case with customers.

half of the point of owning a console is that it's easy. you buy 1 machine to last 5 years and buy disks to put in it. end of story. with the 360 model, escalate it a little and all you have is PC gaming, just cheaper.

the other problem with the 360 is the cost. the big deal with a 360 is that it's cheaper then the ps3, from a consumer perspective. buy a 360 and you need to buy xbox live, probably a wireless networking adapter, play & charge kit, etc.... just to bring it to the same spec as the ps3, or even the wii. this makes the 360 more expensive then the ps3, which is expensive as it is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

that's all well and good but microsoft need to stop with the different SKU's.
    half of the point of owning a console is that it's easy ... escalate it a little and all you have is PC gaming
    the other problem with the 360 is the cost. the big deal with a 360 is that it's cheaper then the ps3, from a consumer perspective.

I can agree with you on a number of the points - we see it with both of the next generation consoles that it's leaning much closer to the PC Gaming side of things. Also there's the topic of Hard Disk installs that's coming up for more and more PS3 games, and the optional one for 360 games in future. This is something that was good about Consoles vs. PCs - namely that you didn't have to do it. Just pop the disk in and go.

The PS3 doesn't get half as much roasting but have had numerous SKUs, too - most of which took important functionality (PS2 Back Compatibility) out of the product. You can exchange the Hard Disk yourself for a bigger one, although cheaper, still fragments the notion of a 'standard' console that everyone should have the same machine.

The only current console that is pretty much the same for everyone is the Wii - and that comes in for criticism from many corners that it doesn't do enough to allow customisation.

Unfortunately, it's just a constant rule in Technology if you buy / adopt a technology early, you knowingly run the risk of paying over the odds and a more advanced version coming out in the near future (or worse, it becoming relatively obsolete very quickly - a la Dreamcast).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

jester77 wrote: »
    Does the data cable for transferring data come with the 120gb HD? And does the 20gb get wiped after it? I'll probably get the 120gb when the new dashboard arrives so that I can run games from the HD, but they would want to drop their prices, €120 is a bit much for 120gb!

Yeh you get the cable and the disk, connect the cable to the 120gig hdd through the USB point and then the disc runs a program to basically cut your data on the the 20gig and paste it onto the 120gig. Once thats done the software is basically obsolete and the 20gig drive is formatted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    Yeh you get the cable and the disk, connect the cable to the 120gig hdd through the USB point and then the disc runs a program to basically cut your data on the the 20gig and paste it onto the 120gig. Once thats done the software is basically obsolete and the 20gig drive is formatted.

Nice one. I remember reading about people having to send off for data cables and not getting them but I guess that was just for the Elite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I can agree with you on a number of the points - we see it with both of the next generation consoles that it's leaning much closer to the PC Gaming side of things. Also there's the topic of Hard Disk installs that's coming up for more and more PS3 games, and the optional one for 360 games in future. This is something that was good about Consoles vs. PCs - namely that you didn't have to do it. Just pop the disk in and go.

thats lazy coding by developers, the ps3 has a hdd guaranteed so they use it to improve the games runnig speed, instead of fixing the game. if the 360 had a hhd as standard it would happen there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

Advertisement