Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teen mags whatw're yours?

Options
  • 12-08-2008 4:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

I had to have Bliss and Smash hits every two weeks until I was about 15. Smash hits for the posters and bliss for boys. what ones did you get?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

When I was 12-14 J17, Sugar, and Bliss were the best. Taught me everything I knew about sex and had some genuinely interesting articles/true stories. I take a flick through them now if I come across them in a newsagent and they're not nearly as interesting now :(

Edit: Can't forget Horse & Pony!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Jaysus...

I learnt a lot from those magazines..

Just 17, Mizz was that one...

My wardrobe in my mas still has the posters up on the inside of it...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Melody Maker and NME emot-colbert.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Kerrang and 2000A.D. ( ok it's a comic but still... )

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

*shows age*

My early teens one was Jackie.

After that I gave up on mags and read horror novels (and NME). Apart from a great one off series of magazines called One to One, about sex. Copies were like gold dust in my school!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Do you remember the Judy Blume books? They were always tattered copies. Primary school time, With talk of periods and kissing boys!!!

You werent in the know till you read one of her books!!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Quality wrote: »
    Do you remember the Judy Blume books? They were always tattered copies. Primary school time, With talk of periods and kissing boys!!!

I missed out on those. I was reading my mums maeve binchy's in primary school. Which might explain a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭laurak265

Smash hits, top of the pops magazine and bliss were mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I loved anything with a problem page.

I read one last week (Shout I think) and I couldn't stop laughing. It was nice to see that kids still have innocent enough problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

Oryx wrote: »
    *shows age*

My early teens one was Jackie.
    I am the same vintage, so it was a dash to the newsagents after school every Wednesday to get the Jackie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Shoot! I'm surprised no-one's mentioned it yet. :)

Zaph wrote: »

Is that the one that used words such as 'corr blimey' and 'wotcha'?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Twinkle when i was very young and bunty, no others really come to mind oh and i used to rob my brother 2000 ad too!

janeybabe wrote: »
    Is that the one that used words such as 'corr blimey' and 'wotcha'?

Not that I remember, it's a football magazine. I think it's nothing but pictures with the odd caption now, but it was actually quite an intelligent magazine when I used to buy it.

Not that I remember, it's a football magazine. I think it's nothing but pictures with the odd caption now, but it was actually quite an intelligent magazine when I used to buy it.

Oh I'm thinking of Match. Nothing remotely intelligent about Match.

Oh I'm thinking of Match. Nothing remotely intelligent about Match.

Yeah, that was pretty crap. Read it once or twice in a mates, but didn't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Does anyone remember that one called Now!? I only remember it putting out a handful of issues.. it was different to the Now magazine that's around at the moment. Was around 1995 or so. I was a big fan.

Apart from that I used to get Big!, Smash Hits, It's Bliss (and then Bliss when they dropped the It's), Just Seventeen (and J17), and then when I got on towards my mid-teens, Kerrang, Metal Hammer, Cosmo and Company. Stopped buying them altogether when I was about 17.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

My mother said I was reading filth - Bliss and Sugar.:rolleyes:

Larianne wrote: »
    My mother said I was reading filth - Bliss and Sugar.:rolleyes:

I wasn't allowed read Bliss and Sugar for ages. My mother said it was filth too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

I wasn't allowed read Bliss and Sugar for ages. My mother said it was filth too.

My poor mother also had a low opinion of those magazines, not for the problem pages or info about sex (i made sure she never got sight of them)......but for the tampon ads. Yup, tampons - the work of the devil. :rolleyes:

Add me to Team 2000ad, i used to kinda fancy Judge Dread, he was soooo masculine. :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭nomorebadtown

Your mother was dead right!
    I went to a mixed school. I seem to recall some girls reading these on the bus during school tours etc invariably the mags would be grabbed by one of the lads and passed around, not much use barr the problem pages...that stuff was pure comedy gold. These mags seemed to make girls smug and happy in the knowledge that they knew more about sex and relationships than the boys...but of course, as boys, we didn't give a fook about the finer details, we just wanted to cop a feel of some tit.

I remember coming across Forever when I was 10.....(I was a voracious reader) and I was utterly disgusted by the mechanics of the whole concept. :D

What was the name of the one with the picture stories? I loved that one.

There is still a mini poster of this guy stuck on my hotpress door.
    kavana125.jpg

Lol I remember when my friend was in 5th class (I was in 4th) and her class got a talk about periods in school. She was telling me all about this talk and I grabbed a Judy Blume book, flicked through it, and found the part the mentioned periods to show her that I knew all about it! (Which I didn't.)

I vaguely remember that same friend reading magazines with paper dolls that you could dress up in paper clothes. And Bunty too. (Possibly the same thing?)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

That takes me back moonbaby!
    I was a bliss j-17 and sugar junkie...spent aa bloody fortune on them!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

The free gifts were soooo cool. Remember one time got these stick on nail art thingys and thought they were the bees knees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭lorweld

I used to love Big! I'd save my pocket money for it and live in hope that there would be posters of NKOTB in it:o I''d be really happy if the poster was the middle page one cos it'd be bigger!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I loved Judy Blume.The one day it took me to read all of "Are You There God It's Me Margaret" is etched in my mind forever .As is :
    "we must, we must , we must increase our bust!".
    :)

Magazines wise I read Just17 from age 12 to 15 ish. I remember reading the problem page with friends when I was 12 .We were reading a "I'm 14 and I've never kissed a boy" problem. We REALLY pitied that girl. We never imagined we'd grow into 14 year olds with that problem...which of course we did. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,673 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

:cool:

And Commando war stories

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

i read kiss,cosmo girl,mizz and i think sugar when i was a bit younger.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭jezza

Mizz. J17.
    My fave was sugar though. I also collected was it sabrina or barbie or something? they were out in 2000/2001 and used to give free make up with it. Nearly sure it was sabrina.
    Also bought kiss :/ Still do on occasion.

Advertisement