Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teen mags whatw're yours?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

lorweld wrote: »
    I used to love Big! I'd save my pocket money for it and live in hope that there would be posters of NKOTB in it:o I''d be really happy if the poster was the middle page one cos it'd be bigger!:D

Middle page posters did mean that you had to be very careful when tearing them out because of the staples, i regularly used to use my fingernails to peel back the staples (living dangerously!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Bijoux

Mizz...then Sugar and Kiss....

Used to love the cringe section in Mizz :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I started with Big and Smash Hits, then moved on to Bliss, Sugar, J17 slightly later on, then to More and Company, but I stopped buying magazines a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

I used to get Empire and PC gamer...

I've since moved on to National Geographic and Focus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭1_in_1,000,000

Weidii wrote: »
    I used to get Empire and PC gamer...

I've since moved on to National Geographic and Focus.

Haha, nerd type, eh? I learnt about sex from bliss - you learn about sex from PC Gamer? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

omg remember 'forever' by Judy Blume? she called his cock 'ralph'! that book thought me a lot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

MG, Bliss, Mizz, soft spot for J17 (and their Christmas Annuals - legend!).

Still have some old ones in a box at my parents' house I think; can't imagine why!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

also J-17 fan and then later Bliss and Sugar. i bought Kerrang when i had money!
    When i was about 16 i started buying More, which shocked my mam when she flicked through it and saw "Position of the Week"!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

Grandad used to get me sugar magazine every month, often being pointed to the bags of sugar... lol .After that was Kiss magazine, purely for it being Irish :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

mizz religiously in early teens (and yep, i had to give the first issue to my mam, so she could check what i was reading. it was a special on puberty, and had pics of girls in underwear. very risqué. had to keep it hidden from my bro and sis). actually, remember when the trousers with skirts attached were quite popular? i saw them in teh square while out with the family one day, and commented quite knowingly that they were in fashion now, had seen it in mizz... my bro turned around to me and told me mizz was ruining my life. haha, i was quite offended at that one.

later teens was all kerrang! every week, and NME/Q whenever they were featuring bands i particularly liked. had to stop buying them when i was 16/17 as was quite broke and stuff,but used to spend hours in easons, reading them.

• Advertisement

m'lady wrote: »
    omg remember 'forever' by Judy Blume? she called his cock 'ralph'! that book thought me a lot!

It took me years to disassociate the name Ralph with cocks. :D
    She had to do that because the censor limited the number of times she use actual gential terms.

Judy Bloom was the bomb.
    It's not the end of the world, Blubber, Superfudge, Then again maybe I won't. Fantastic books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Yeah, I've been considering buying some battered second hand versions just to re-read them :) I loved Are You There God, It's Me Margaret, even if it did make me think that sanitary pads had to be attached to belts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Moonbaby wrote: »
    It took me years to disassociate the name Ralph with cocks. :D
    She had to do that because the censor limited the number of times she use actual gential terms.

Judy Bloom was the bomb.
    It's not the end of the world, Blubber, Superfudge, Then again maybe I won't. Fantastic books.

Yeah, she was brilliant, but all the same, I dont think I shall be buying them for my daughter!!!:D

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,917 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I used to love Sugar and Mizz! The embarrassing moments sections were best. When I was about 17 I started reading Cosmo, still get it most months, again for the embarrassing moments! Too much ads in it though TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Toots85 wrote: »
    I used to love Sugar and Mizz! The embarrassing moments sections were best. When I was about 17 I started reading Cosmo, still get it most months, again for the embarrassing moments! Too much ads in it though TBH.

I started reading Cosmo last month because I was bored at work and it was there and I'm kind of hooked now, as are a couple of the men I worked with! They tried to steal it to photocopy some of the articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Um, mine were Kerrang and Metalhammer. [/sheepish]

janeybabe wrote: »
    I started reading Cosmo last month because I was bored at work and it was there and I'm kind of hooked now, as are a couple of the men I worked with! They tried to steal it to photocopy some of the articles.

[suspicious] What kind of articles?[/suspicious]

Cosmo is possible the worlds greatest waste of paper and ink. After the Daily Mail.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,917 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

janeybabe wrote: »

Lol! I know! Whenever any of my male friends are up, they're always grabbing the Cosmo and having a laugh over the embarrassing moments pages. They get all annoyed if they come up for a beer and they've read all the Cosmos already :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Moonbaby wrote: »
    [suspicious] What kind of articles?[/suspicious]

Cosmo is possible the worlds greatest waste of paper and ink. After the Daily Mail.

Lol all the sex ones! One guy spread the word that the lads should take a look at pages 96 to 111.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

mine was smash hits so i could cut out the pics
    and put up on my wall!!!:D
    and more cos of the gossip...:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

Smash hits, bliss and Suuagr (?) I think it was called?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭laurak265

LadyE wrote: »
    Smash hits, bliss and Suuagr (?) I think it was called?

Sugar i believe it was!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

laurak265 wrote: »
    Sugar i believe it was!

That was actually one fooked up typo..I did mean sugar :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

As we are on the subject.

My dear husband was collecting our daughter(9) from my mams today. Anyhow, he had bought her a magazine Top of the Pops..

So they are half way up the road and she pulls out a sample of sanitary towels always with freshelle, that was in the wrapper of the magazine and said to him " I dont need these dad, I will give them to Mammy"..:o He nearly crashed the car...

After the shock subsided he should have told you that you dont need them either :D

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭stressed out

Mizz article "Boys and their bodies" + Judy Blumes Forever = All I ever needed to know about sex!
    Thank God for these filthy magazines or else I'd be clueless!

Also read Smash Hits in the late 80s and was very entertaining - they don't make magazines like that anymore :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Smash Hits, then Mizz, Bliss, Sugar, J-17, More.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I wasnt allowed to have magazines. My wonderful overprotective parents didnt like the content of the majority of them. I read my friends More magazines at sleepovers or in school. So in that context I never read any gossip magazines or the like when I was older. In fact I think my parents did a wonderful thing by banning them from the house!

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Smash hits for the posters in the middle of teh sexeh boyes

• Advertisement

It is drving me up the wall that I can't think of the name of that magazine with the photo stories.

Advertisement