Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teen mags whatw're yours?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Sugar Drunk

i loved just 17 the clothes and make up were really funky

loved smash hits for the stickers and the song words (stopped you sounding like a twat singin the wrong ones!)

oh and bliss and sugar - that was my sex ed :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

I ws reading this thread and, purely for the laugh, bought a copy of BLISS magazine.

Some excerpts:

Problem page: "I have been trying to masturbate recently but can't find a hole".

Article "How to make a new friend in 7 days". Was quite weird- included "Day 7: Tell her a secret so she feels closer to you!".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

mine was lookin and then when a bit older was smash hits i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Blue Jeans, Hi! and Jackie in 1990 when I was 12. I'd say only Jackie was still available by the following year. They just had photo stories, fashion, gossip, giveaways, pin-ups... no "How to give your boyfriend a good hand job" type articles.
    I also got Just Seventeen once that year - couldn't believe the bintery of it. It was way less mature than the other three, even though they were for younger readers. I also got Smash Hits. These were all replaced by NME, Melody Maker, Select and Vox when I was 13. But I started getting 19 and Looks when I was 15. These obviously had their raunchy moments but at least they weren't vulgar and smutty like More. Oh, and Mizz was pretty good too - it was aimed at 13 to 16-year-olds but I preferred it to Sugar, Bliss and Shout. And there was also Big magazine - that was terrible. I had to get it one week for a smokin' Brad Pitt poster though. :)

I was a rock/indie chick but also really into clothes and make-up. Still the very same. :)

Zaph wrote: »
    Not that I remember, it's a football magazine. I think it's nothing but pictures with the odd caption now, but it was actually quite an intelligent magazine when I used to buy it.
    Oh yeah I used to read my brother's Shoots regularly. I remember it having some funny enough moments and even using quite a dry wit every so often. There was a really serious article about football hooliganism one week.
    Smash Hits could also be very witty - that English brand of sardonic humour. Regularly made me lol.
    These mags seemed to make girls smug and happy in the knowledge that they knew more about sex and relationships than the boys...but of course, as boys, we didn't give a fook about the finer details, we just wanted to cop a feel of some tit.
    LOL :D
    janeybabe wrote: »
    I vaguely remember that same friend reading magazines with paper dolls that you could dress up in paper clothes. And Bunty too. (Possibly the same thing?)
    Twinkle magazine had that feature, but that was for very small girls. I started getting Twinkle when I was five.
    Moonbaby wrote: »
    It is drving me up the wall that I can't think of the name of that magazine with the photo stories.
    Jackie? Blue Jeans? Hi? Shout?

• Advertisement

I have a feeling it was Shout. Thanks a million Dudess!

I'm really surprised that More is considered a teenage magazine, the last time I bought it I made a point of hiding that from my prudish housemate.
    I think it is along the lines of Nuts.

The last time I saw a More! (and it was a good while ago) it said aged 18 to 24 on it. It's an adult mag but who's to stop teens from buying it? I think it's awful trash - nothing to do with the sex in itself, just the way it's presented.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Dudess wrote: »
    Twinkle magazine had that feature, but that was for very small girls. I started getting Twinkle when I was five.

Nope that wasn't it. Ah well, I never bought it anyway, it was my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭SarahJ

Top of The Pops mag for me, or Smash Hits. Used to go round the shop and buy my mag and a can of Virgin cola haha

Advertisement