Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit card fraud... help

Options
  • 12-08-2008 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭

:mad:

Just checked my online statement and over 4000 euros of strange transactions are present. Contacted Perm TSB and told them. The CC is cancelled and a fraud investigation has started. Anyone have any experience of how long this takes to sort out?? The bank said it could take up to 30 days and I will be liable for interest charges / repayments until that time (of course they will be refunded after investigation). I'm really shocked. it's a horrible feeling!

Anyone have any experiences, how quickly it was resolved etc?

Thanks
    X

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Deadalus

Im currently in the middle of a similar problem. Someone hacked my paypal account and sent money to themselves from my credit card. Luckily paypal has put a hold on the transaction and it is currently being investigated but I was told it could take at least 2 weeks before I hear anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

This is some sort of joke.... My CC limit is 5000 and they managed to let the fraudster go over the limit by 1500!! What is the point of having a limit if it can breached by such a large %...

I'm well and truly fupped. My repayments are set to 50% which will work out at 3250, I can't afford that... I've asked them to reduce it to the minimum. They are "looking into that". I have a credit card that I need to use and I can't and I will be without it for possibly 30 days while they investigate. This doesn't seem customer orientated but more like "cover our own asses for as long as we can..."

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Sorry to hear this OP. I know it's frustrating for you, but from the banks POV, they have to be fully satisfied that your card was indeed used fraudulently before they go about refunding you. I've seen a couple of cases where people go nuts on the credit card, then get buyers remorse and go into the bank claiming the card was skimmed or stolen, thinking that the bank will just refund the money straight away. So obviously if they refund the money without investigaving and it turns out a claim is bogus, they're potentially a few grand out of pocket.

The reason that they've told you it could take so long is because the fraud departments in banks are usually up to their eyeballs in cases what with the prevelance of card skimmings, online credit card fraud etc today. I know in my branch, we'll do everything we can to help a customer out if something like this happens, be it arranging a temporary overdraft, lowering their credit card payments etc. They shouldn't need to 'look into' lowering your credit card payments, they should be able to do this straight away. Did you deal with a branch or the credit card department? If you just called the branch, try contacting the credit card department directly and see if they can be of more help. There's nothing worse than to have something like this happen to you and then be given the brush off by your bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

I'm with AIB Credit card and anytime I make a flurry of purchases* they always ring me up to check whether it was me or not.

*not very often :)

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I'm with AIB Credit card and anytime I make a flurry of purchases* they always ring me up to check whether it was me or not.

*not very often :)

Yes, BOI have a similar setup called Card Guard. It flags any unusual or out of sequence transactions on your card. IE: my parents have a joint credit card, and my Dad was in NY, but my Mum was at home, and when Dad tried to use it in NY (he was in Tiffany buying something nice for my mum), it kept asking to phone for authorisation, when he rang they said they had flagged the account cos one card was being used in the US and one in Ireland, once he confirmed all was ok, he was able to just use the card as normal. I'm not sure if PTSB have a system like this or not though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

If only every bank system was a good as the credit card systems there would be a lot less fraud. How in ever in this case it would appear that the systems failed to protect you (the customer) from fraud. Unfortunate and hopefully it will be sorted out quickly.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

My card was used for airline tickets 1,5 year ago.
    Feckers were testing the card by first buying cinema tickets on line and when that worked they went for the airline tickets..
    When i found out i called BOI, explained the situation and we went through some other dodgy looking purchases that were mine and i confirmed those.
    Money for cinema tickets and airline tickets was put back in my account within a few days.
    Got a form sent home to declare the fraud and that was it.
    I actually was impressed with BOI.

It is things like this, amongst others, that result in having to pay 14% aer on credit cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

I got a call and they've increased temporarily my credit limit to allow me to have some usage of the card until its sorted (a new card of course). The payments have been reduced to 5%. I am just damn lucky I checked mid month my statement or they would have tried to apply for 3500 from my direct debit!! I'd of been completely screwed...

I really think this should have been flagged... The CC was not used for anything major in the last 5 months and then all of a sudden 4000+ .

I can't remember if I mentioned in first post but I believe my credit card details were leaked through ebookers.ie . It was the day after I booked flights with them all the weird transactions took place. My bro had a similar fraud thing happen when he used ebookers.ie as well. I have contacted them concerning it but haven't received a response yet. Just a warning to anyone who uses ebookers, be sure to check your statement online a couple of days after to make sure. They probably have a mole working there feeding CC details to a mate in lord knows where.

Advertisement