Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 10 Countries that spend the most on ....

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

:facepalm:

Moore was on about government spending and how the health service is too privitised.I was over there last summer and my friend(an illegal irish) got bitten by a snake.He spent two weeks in hospital and ended up owing 33000 dollars.
    Obviously at these prices the americans would spend more.This means that the health care over there favours the better off.

The point you are trying to make is totally wrong.

I hope your friend pulled a legger!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I forget the actual figure, but I think thats 50% is actually very close to the truth.

Hmmm, I think you missed the joke.
    Look carefully at what Victor wrote and what I quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Doh!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

came in here purely to see the "fails" directed at ivabigun.

in other news, USA safest country in the world based on spending the highest amount on defence spending

• Registered Users Posts: 82,761 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    If I remember right the film made a mockery of the US heath system and Moore went around Europe looking at better systems in different countries.
    I stopped paying attention in that movie when he got to france and forced amazement at their healthcare system. He makes some arguments but they aren't points, so to speak. Universal healthcare would be great except you're getting taxed to help stabilize a heroine addict in ohio that Overdosed. I'd love it if my tax dollar went to Alzheimers Research or helped mend a litttle boys broken arm but this is not always the case.

However I still have big beefs with Big Pharma, they do charge insane amounts for prescription medicine.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    Universal healthcare would be great except you're getting taxed to help stabilize a heroine addict in ohio that Overdosed. I'd love it if my tax dollar went to Alzheimers Research or helped mend a litttle boys broken arm but this is not always the case.

Sometimes if you want to do those last two things you have to do that first thing as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,245 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

More money may be spent on health care in the US, but by whom in the US (those that can afford private sector comprehensive health coverage as opposed to those that are poor and have no medical insurance)? Well, more may be spent in the US, but one of the results of the US health care system is not so impressive, namely *infant mortality rankings and rates. For example:

#1 Singapore 2.30 deaths per 1000 live births
    #2 Sweden 2.76/1000
    #27 Ireland 5.22/1000
    #37 USA 6.37/1000

So kids, in general, it's safer to be born in Ireland than the good ole USA (unless your family is wealthy or has grand private sector insurance coverage).

And if you want to get into a great argument, suggest socialized medicine to a medical doctor in the US that's a member of AMA (American Medical Association).

*IMR reference: Geography IQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Moore is totally full of crap. But, spending on healthcare isn't really a great indicator of how healthy you're gonna be in any given country. You look at spending per capita and in particular access to healthcare, and indices such as life life expectancy, and infant mortality, and quality life years etc.

But, in fairness, when he started holding up the NHS as an example of a quality healthcare system, thousands of docs who were working there at the time collectively laughed our arses off. The way he paints the NHS, in his pathetic attempts to belittle anything American was completely at odds with the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

tallaght01 wrote: »
    But, in fairness, when he started holding up the NHS as an example of a quality healthcare system, thousands of docs who were working there at the time collectively laughed our arses off. The way he paints the NHS, in his pathetic attempts to belittle anything American was completely at odds with the reality.

I think that you used to work in the NHS, so you probably know more than me. But, any experience i've had with them has been extremely pleasant and efficient (including taking care of my currently broken leg).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Moore is totally full of crap. But, spending on healthcare isn't really a great indicator of how healthy you're gonna be in any given country. You look at spending per capita and in particular access to healthcare, and indices such as life life expectancy, and infant mortality, and quality life years etc.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7511426.stm

tallaght01 = pwned

• Advertisement

life life expectancy

Life life expectancy? Is that how long they expect the life expectancy figure to be accurate?

Whoa, the government just cut health spending so it's down to 72 but there's been a medical breakthrough so your back to 75 but your wife just left you so it plummeted to 60.

All in the span of an afternoon.

Eh, the article you linked backed up what I said :confused:

ie that you can't look at any one indicator in isolation. There's lots of things you need to look at. America's problem has always been their inequity in terms of access to healthcare. Their life expectancy is crap, considering how rich they are. Same with, say, their HIV levels. But when you look at it, it's not their really well off people who are dragging the average down. It's the people who have poor access to healthcare.

there's also a shocking amount of poverty in the states, which in itself adversely affects your health outcomes.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Life life expectancy? Is that how long they expect the life expectancy figure to be accurate?

Whoa, the government just cut health spending so it's down to 72 but there's been a medical breakthrough so your back to 75 but your wife just left you so it plummeted to 60.

All in the span of an afternoon.

Man, the wife leaving you has gotta extend your life expectancy to beyond a hundred :p

• Registered Users Posts: 82,761 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Hello and welcome to Boards.ie

Theres no glory in pasting a link about life expectancy and screaming "pwned". It makes you look like an idiot and 15 years of age. Instead may I recommend you make an intelligible argument? For instance,

"It's true that America spends the most on Healthcare but it has one of the lowest Life Expectancy's in a First world Country. According to this article (link) its down to obesity, and a lack of adequate health insurance coverage. So Moore might not be entirely wrong after all"

But you didn't. You had to scream Pwned in Red text because otherwise everyone would have just ignored such a retarded post.

I'm sorry sir but thank you for playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

the big debate in america at the moment is whether to stay private or go the socialized route. those against the socialized route (and there are lots of americans in that boat) say it would destroy the economy yet the american government spend far more per capita on their health system than the british government do on theirs and something like 30 times more per person than cuba does (both socialized)

50 million americans have no health insurance (and no way of getting it because of the red tape), thats what the sicko movie focused on mainly; those uninsured cannot afford the health care even if it is the best in the world, people in the states have lost everything and declared bankruptcy all because of medical bills

Advertisement