Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about Meteor Free Calls

• 12-08-2008 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

Is it still free to ring a Meteor number if they are in America? Do Meteor have coverage in America? Please clear this up for me.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

No it wouldn't be free. It's only free within the Republic of Ireland. Yes they do have roaming coverage in the USA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

It would be free if the Meteor caller had free calls to other Meteor numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

it would be free for you to call the person but they would pay roaming charges

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,254 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

All Networks free calls & texts pay as you go offers only apply to Ireland, it's in all there T&C's

When a phone is being used outside of Ireland it is classed as roaming, So if your in Dublin with your meteor phone and your friend is in New York with there meteor phone it will cost you 50cent a minute to call them plus a 25cent connection charge, your friend will also be charged to recieve the call.

Metero to Meteor is free when you both in Ireland and no where else, the same applies to vodafone, 02, tesco & 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Incorrect. You will not be charged, the charge is for the person roaming as you are not there is no charge. The free within ireland means the person making the call ie..if you are roaming and on meteor you do not qualify for the free meteor, if you are at home but the other meteor number is the you qualify.

• Advertisement

are you serious, I understood that no matter what network your on if you call someone outside the country you will be charged, does this only apply to meteor?

Walkman wrote: »
    Incorrect. You will not be charged, the charge is for the person roaming as you are not there is no charge. The free within ireland means the person making the call ie..if you are roaming and on meteor you do not qualify for the free meteor, if you are at home but the other meteor number is the you qualify.

this is correct. hardly fair for you to pay 50c a minute to call someone if you don't even know they're abroad. the only person who pays more on a roaming call is the person who's abroad, regardless of network

I'm looking at the T&C's of meteor free talk and text and it clearly states

"does not apply when you are roaming outside the Republic of Ireland (ROI) or for international calls or texts"

It couldn't be free to call your friend in America, this would be wide open to abuse....:confused:

I'm looking at the T&C's of meteor free talk and text and it clearly states

"does not apply when you are roaming outside the Republic of Ireland (ROI) or for international calls or texts"

It couldn't be free to call your friend in America, this would be wide open to abuse....:confused:

the person calling the friend in america is not "roaming outside the Republic of Ireland", his friend is

it's not wide open to abuse because his friend pays the roaming rate.

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    the person calling the friend in america is not "roaming outside the Republic of Ireland", his friend is

But beacuse his friend is roaming that means he has to make an international call to contact him, correct?

• Advertisement

But beacuse his friend is roaming that means he has to make an international call to contact him, correct?

no, you call +353 85 xxxxxxx, the same as any normal call.

edit: if the friend in america makes a call, it's not free. he pays a roaming rate but calls +35385xxxxxxx as normal.

if the person in ireland makes the call, his call is treated exactly the same as a normal in-ireland call but his friend pays the rate to receive a call when roaming

you can receive calls for free in england with meteor prepay so you can call people with meteor sims in england and the call will be free for both parties

basically, the only person who is penalised for anything on any irish network for going abroad is the person who is abroad. and in a few lucky cases, neither are penalised :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Just to throw in my 2 cents Walkman and Sam Vimes are correct in what they're saying.

If you are in ROI and your friend is it US then you will pay nothing if you have free Meteor calls and your friend will pay standard roaming rates to receive.
    If you are in the US you will not have free Meteor calls.

I had that all wrong, does it only apply to Meteor..?

I don't want to mention them, i'll call them 4, but i've free 4 to 4 calls but when I call someone on 4 who is outside the country I am charged and so are they....

You shouldn't be charged any extra to ring someone from ROI that is outside the country if they have an Irish mobile number.

What network are you with?

I'm with 4:D

I'm not charged any extra, it comes out of my flexi units, but my free calls go out the window when someone is outside the country...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

just tell up what network you're on. What's the point in keeping it secret. How do you expect your questions answered?
    I'm with 4:D

I'm not charged any extra, it comes out of my flexi units, but my free calls go out the window when someone is outside the country...

I had that all wrong, does it only apply to Meteor..?

I don't want to mention them, i'll call them 4, but i've free 4 to 4 calls but when I call someone on 4 who is outside the country I am charged and so are they....

that shouldn't be happening. you should be charged a normal rate. if you have free calls to other 4 numbers then the call should be free regardless of where they are

• Advertisement

that shouldn't be happening. you should be charged a normal rate. if you have free calls to other 4 numbers then the call should be free regardless of where they are

nope they come out of my units, my sis & i are both on 4 she lives in the north but has an irish 4 phone, my calls to her are not free....

Well then you need to get onto '3' customer care cause they should be free. Best of luck with that ha ha. Actually it could go in your favour drive them mad and tell them every location you are calling is in the republic.:D seriously though you should not be charged for those calls

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wong

Thanks for clearing this up guys. Do you have any idea how much it would cost my friend in America? Like, what are the roaming charges ?

Im not a meteor customer but I would imagine it would be a lot quicker for you to call meteor customer care or check their website rather than posting here and waiting for replys.

nope they come out of my units, my sis & i are both on 4 she lives in the north but has an irish 4 phone, my calls to her are not free....

i just rang three and i know that i'd probably get a more reliable answer about 3 from meteor customer care but she said, and checked to confirm that those calls shouldn't be coming out of your minutes

i just rang three and i know that i'd probably get a more reliable answer about 3 from meteor customer care but she said, and checked to confirm that those calls shouldn't be coming out of your minutes

lol, meteor customer care probably would:D

I called 3 just to double check and they told me there definatley coming out of my units, There only free when the person i'm calling is in Ireland...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

Yeah, but she is probably on "4" UK! Has she an 084 number??

lol, meteor customer care probably would:D

I called 3 just to double check and they told me there definatley coming out of my units, There only free when the person i'm calling is in Ireland...:rolleyes:
    lol @ 2 completely different answers. as whist says, are you sure she understood that it was an irish number in northern ireland and not a northern irish number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭ProjectC

well my GF was in crete for 2 weeks..i was gonig uot to her a week later.

so i gave her 20euro credit so she cud recieve the calls fro me.

so i knew my calls and texts to her were free but it wud cost her 39c for message and 29c to recieve!!

Well she accidently rang me on holidays for 5minutes and too konthing out of her credit!

so for the last 3 days she rang me her phone a friend for fre was STILL free!! AND! if she filled the text messaage up to the last as in filled the message with spaces and dots..the text essage was FREE ALSO!!!

FLuke?????

also add note..send MMS messages back home.there still only 20c compared to sms which is 39c

• Advertisement

ProjectC wrote: »
    well my GF was in crete for 2 weeks..i was gonig uot to her a week later.

so i gave her 20euro credit so she cud recieve the calls fro me.

so i knew my calls and texts to her were free but it wud cost her 39c for message and 29c to recieve!!

Well she accidently rang me on holidays for 5minutes and too konthing out of her credit!

so for the last 3 days she rang me her phone a friend for fre was STILL free!! AND! if she filled the text messaage up to the last as in filled the message with spaces and dots..the text essage was FREE ALSO!!!

FLuke?????

also add note..send MMS messages back home.there still only 20c compared to sms which is 39c
    Roaming calls can sometimes take up to 30 days to appear on your account. This is covered in the T&C. You will be liable for any charges if they come through.

I agree with your MMS comments though, the problem sometimes though is the person you send to might not have MMS setup :(

Advertisement