Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Becoming a Driving Instructor

Options
  • 12-08-2008 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

I was looking at becoming a driving instructor, working for myself 1st part time and then Full time. Ive had a look at the different courses available and wondered if anyone here could give input on how they trained as instructors, what course they did (ISM , quantum etc) and did it get them working straight away in the industry?

If I studied for part 1 ADI would this get me up to a good enough standard to give lessons?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

i was told by a driving instructor that there is a new law comin in where all driving instructors have to be qualified by the rsa and the course costs 3g, and that if an unqualified instructor is givin lessons the guards can come and seize the car,
    not sure how right or wrong this is but thats what i was told

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 betterdrive.net

No, studying for the part 1 ADI exam would not get you up to standard to give lessons.
    As regards who to learn to instruct with, and pay 3000 Euro to, I would strongly consider contacting the ADI unit in the RSA as none of the names you have mentioned are as far as I know are approved as trainers by the RSA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Macca206

Do the RSA have a list of approved trainers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 betterdrive.net

Macca206 wrote: »
    Do the RSA have a list of approved trainers?

AS of the last newsletter. No they dont.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Caychadh

To become a fully trained and qualified driving instructor with the Irish School of Motoring, you do a training course covering theory, driving ability and your ability to instruct. You then need to pass a three part exam. It costs €1,800. However to become an Approved Driving Instructor (ADI) you then have to sit a separate exam with the RSA.
    As for getting started in the industry, you can get a franchise off ISM. I think you pay them a certain amount per week in return for them giving you new clients. You would need to have a silver car, less than 4 years old. All the relevant info is on their website, but a franchise would give you instant recognition with a well known company.
    The Independent School of Motoring (Finglas) also do Instructor training. That costs €3,500 including 2 weeks intensive course training. Like the ISM one, you would not be an Approved Driving Instructor after this course either and would be required to sit a further exam with the RSA. I'm not sure about the difference in the two courses but it shows the big variation in the price of driving instructor courses! You should certainly shop around and check out the different courses, depending on where you are located.

Like betterdrive.net said, check with the ADI people in the RSA. It's a lot of money to be paying out after all! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Morgans

Think you must be driving for at least 4 years also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi,

Go to Approved Driving Instructor (ADI)

Request the information pack.
    If I studied for part 1 ADI would this get me up to a good enough standard to give lessons?

No, before you can give instruction for reward you must now first, either pass the ADI 3 modules (Theory, Driving and Instruction Ability) or else pass the Theory and Driving Test, then you may work as a "Trainee" for 6 months to prepare for the Instruction ability test.

Gone forever are the days when anybody could simply stick a box on the roof of a car and call themselves a driving instructor.

Wee nugget of info. In the UK of the 100 potential instructors who request the information pack from the DSA (Their equivalent of our RSA/ADI) only 5 go on to qualify as an instructor.

In Ireland, anybody who decided to become an instructor - did so. 100% success rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Macca206

J_R wrote: »
    Hi,

Go to Approved Driving Instructor (ADI)

Request the information pack.

No, before you can give instruction for reward you must now first, either pass the ADI 3 modules (Theory, Driving and Instruction Ability) or else pass the Theory and Driving Test, then you may work as a "Trainee" for 6 months to prepare for the Instruction ability test.

Gone forever are the days when anybody could simply stick a box on the roof of a car and call themselves a driving instructor.

Wee nugget of info. In the UK of the 100 potential instructors who request the information pack from the DSA (Their equivalent of our RSA/ADI) only 5 go on to qualify as an instructor.

In Ireland, anybody who decided to become an instructor - did so. 100% success rate.

Does this not come into effect in January though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

Macca206 wrote: »
    Does this not come into effect in January though?

1st July 2007. Existing instructors were granted "Grandfather Rights" until 31st December 2008

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

On a similar topic......does anyone here know how much it costs to convert a standard (new) car to a training car?

By that I mean to fit an extra set of control pedals on the passenger side? Apart from that, all I think a car needs is an additional rear view mirror which is cheap enough.

Or maybe you can point me in the direction of any companies who fit these controls?

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭padraic mchale

keefg wrote: »
    On a similar topic......does anyone here know how much it costs to convert a standard (new) car to a training car?

By that I mean to fit an extra set of control pedals on the passenger side? Apart from that, all I think a car needs is an additional rear view mirror which is cheap enough.

Or maybe you can point me in the direction of any companies who fit these controls?

Cheers.

Hi Mate,

If you're still interested in taking driving instruction training then have have a look at <SNIP>. We run our course specifically to get you to the stage whereby you are prepared to pass your ADI test. You can take the course as a 1 week intensive session or part time. Cost is for week intensive is €1500 (very competitive). On the part time course you can take each module or PST (Pre Set Test) seperately and at your own pace.

Try http://www.he-mandualcontrols.co.uk/ for dual controls. They are relatively cheap, £160 for toyota yaris, and the pedals are clip on i.e. they can be removed easily. They are a far better job than the pulley systems you get here in ireland. I have all my cars kitted out with the He Man system. Very quick delivery to.

Give me a call on <SNIP> for further details

Padraic
    <SNIP>

Advertisement