Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DT249 Information Systems / Information Technology

Options
  • 12-08-2008 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭

Hey

Im starting the part time degree course DT249 Information Systems / Information Technology in september. Does anyone here know what language they use to teach programming?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

It's Java afaik. I'm actually mid-way through that course myself at the moment but skipped the first 2 stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

according to the site for DT249 it's C.

http://www.comp.dit.ie/dt249/modules/sdev1001.html

look under the rec. reading list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Feylya how are you finding the course so far?

It's grand. Handy enough. I've just finished Semester 2 of Stage 3 and I'm about to start Semester 1 of Stage 3 (that's not a typo). It can be a bit of a head wrecker if you're working full time too but it'll be worth it in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

On the first year / stage there is C and XML. Later you'll have some object oriented languages.

I find the course very educating and interesting (I'm just after first year). Definetely recomended for someone who wants to get himself deeper into IT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Trampas

i completed this course in 2007 and it wasn't to bad.

The lectures. Some are very good and some are not.

They have put more programming into the course than it use to be which is good in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

A few more questions, is it common that people use laptops for taking notes in lectures? Are there plugs in the rooms that students can use?

Any safe place to put a moped around Kevin St?

Thanks

A few people do. There's generally plugs near the front of the lecture room but that's about it. There is a car park that should be ok just after about 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Trampas

ChRoMe wrote: »
    A few more questions, is it common that people use laptops for taking notes in lectures? Are there plugs in the rooms that students can use?

Any safe place to put a moped around Kevin St?

Thanks

Some lectures post the slides online before the lectures so you can print them off and write extra info but that was a few years ago.

Mopeds are usually parked around the back or down the side.

You will see them

• Registered Users Posts: 5 rmn

feylya wrote: »
    It's Java afaik. I'm actually mid-way through that course myself at the moment but skipped the first 2 stages.

What do you need to get exemptions form parts of the course?
    I mean i have some other qualifications and some industry exams, but do they take work experience into consideration?

• Advertisement

I was granted an exemption from the first 2 years because I have a qualification in Software Development, various industry qualifications and have worked in the industry for several years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 rmn

Thanks, i am just interested in doing this course but want to make it as short as i can, so would like to see what exemptions i can get.
    By industry exams are you talking the various compTIA ones etc?
    Or anything else, sorry for all the questions
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

No, Comptia certs wont get you any exemptions.

The first year comprises of core modules such as programming, business, and maths.As do the other years up to 4th.

Unless you've got a college diploma, or something I don't think you can get an exemption. I've got CompTIA and other industry certs also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

Hey, Im looking into IT myself, the only thing is Im a complete beginner, is this course for people already in IT?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Trampas wrote: »
    i completed this course in 2007 and it wasn't to bad.

Me too!

I really enjoyed the course.
    I moved from Full time Comp Sci to it after securing a decent job.
    It can be a bit tough juggling but its well worth it.
    It's no walk in the park though, and thinking that you will finish it early / with little work is the wrong attitude. If you don't complete modules you must re-take them the next year and there is a required number of modules to pass the year / progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

The first year of this course is pretty painful so far I have to say. Working for 8 hours then having to travel for an hour just to listen to some guy harp on about binary and hexadecimal for 3 long hours is absolute torture. Hopefully it will get alot more interesting in the second half of the year (I'm sure it will actually). Anyway learning C in the other module is very enjoyable so it's not all bad.

It doesn't get much better. It's a business management IT course more than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Well looking at the other modules in the rest of the semesters it looks like it will be getting more and more interesting as the course progresses. At the moment though I am finding it hard to motivate myself to even go to lectures they are that boring. As soon as we get past numeral system then I'll be a happy camper again :)

Advertisement